“You DONE WRONG ABOUT TROPICAL STORM>”
Review of South Wind Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
South Wind Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Cameron, North Carolina, United States
“You DONE WRONG ABOUT TROPICAL STORM>”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I made a reservation on June 3rd 2013, for 2 nights.There was talk of a tropical storm that could come up the east coast on Thursday and Friday, but not to severe the forecast was. So I thought that me and my husband could deal with alittle rain and then it was said to move out by 12 noon on friday. Then on Thursday morning as I started packing I was watching the news and they were talking that the forecast for N.C.'s east coast had changed for the worst because of TS ANDREA, They were calling for high winds up to 65 MPH, flooding and Heavy Rains. So I called Southwinds Motel to cancel and was told that since I canceled on the day that I was suppose to check in that I lost my deposit of $129.95. I told ( TRENT) there at Southwinds That i was canceling due to the Tropical Storm that was coming in Thursday afternoon (june6th) and didn't not want to be in the middle of a bad T.S. And i was told by TRENT that I would lose my Deposit because the town had not called for EVACUATIONS. I think this is wrong since what the weather was going to be. I will not every stay there again andI will past this on to everyone that plans on going down to KURE BEACH not to stay at SOUTHWINDS. If they don't recognize the situation with the weather , then they wouldn't recognize any other emergency that might araise on the day you were to check-in and keep your deposit when you call them to cancel. This is my own opinion on the matter.I was in contact with my newphew there in New Hanover CO. around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday (June 6th) and ask him how was the weather at this time and he said it was getting bad. He told me that I made a good decision to cancel the trip because of Tropical Storm Andrea, he should know the situation of the storm and how bad things were going to get there because he is a STATE HIGHWAY PATROLMAN for N.C. there in NEW HANOVERCO.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Marilyn D

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Lenoir, North Carolina
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our family stayed at South Wind for our first time in June 2013. We enjoyed this Motel completely! The rooms were clean and seem to be recently updated. South Wind is close to the beach, they have a fishing pier along with a gift shop that are all within walking distance from the Motel and their customer service is some of the best I have ever experienced. The house keeping ladies were amazing as well! We will being planning another trip soon and we WILL stay in South Winds next time too! Thank you!

Room Tip: The oceanfront floor level rooms have an excellent view, I am adding that because we weren't sur...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shellree
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Family motel, close to everything, restaurants, fishing on the pier, nice childrens park/playground. You and your family will enjoy staying here and feel safe. The Owners, Trina and Eric are awesome, they will try very hard to make your stay enjoyable. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first time a few weeks ago. We had a beachfront room. The staff were very friendly and we really enjoyed being able to walk to restaurants, shops, the pier. Very nice family friendly motel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank carolinagrl70
Walnut Cove, North Carolina
Reviewed May 29, 2013

been coming to kure beach since i was little now i bring my family and in laws every year if possible and their are no other place id rather spend my days at kure beach then south winds motel,always clean,respectful,helpful people and great views,clean pool,parking lot is always kept nice,yeah i seen comment on beds some beds need some work but we just stayed in the big family suite for the 1st time loved loved it,one bed was awful otherwise perfect and like i say when our tired and wore out from the beach any bed will do lol

Room Tip: anything ocean view and if you come with a big family the family suite like home away from home
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 125moon
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

First time in Kure Beach! Was not disappointed with this motel. Our room was clean, very roomy. Only problem was it smelled like smoke. We aired it out a bit and it helped. Other than that there were no problems. It is a comfortable motel with good service and excellent location. Right on the beach and next to the pier. Restaurants within walking distance. May come again but next time with fishing poles!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank TravelingNCmom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the end of April, trying to get some good R&R. First, the motels location is great. It is ocean front and very close to Kure Beach Pier. We could actually walk through the back parking lot to get to it. They also have a private walkway down to the beach itself. They have plenty of parking too. Introduced this year was wifi, which is a big plus if you are vacationing with teenagers like me! The room was spacious and clean. I liked that it didn't have carpet (most beach motels that do make your feet black... Not sure what that's about.) We stayed on the first floor and had a lil "balcony" outside the sliding glass door with 2 rocking chairs. Perfect for watching the sunrise. They also have a nice size outdoor pool. We didn't use it because it was still quite chilly out. It appeared clean and well maintained. We didn't have much interaction with the staff because we didn't need to! The front desk clerk was very friendly, and the room was cleaned while we were gone. We are definitely making this "our motel" and will stay here every time we travel to Kure Beach.

• Stayed April 2013
#12 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to South Wind Motel? Share your experiences!