“Air Conditioning Problems”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Blue Marlin Beach Lodging
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
“Air Conditioning Problems”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Make sure before you stay here Unit number 4 air conditioning is fixed. Freon had leaked out and then replaced. After that still had to vacuum water every few hours out of the consendation pan.. WAS told it would be only 2 times a day...Wrong.... Actually never should have rented the room out...Reduced room rate after a lot of hassle going back and forth.... Was not told until we arrived about the air problems of that room.. Other then that a nice place to stay....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank mamboman38
Gilbert A, Owner at Blue Marlin Beach Lodging, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
UPDATE: Friday, September 13, 2013. Today, New Hanover County Inspections Department approved Apartment 4’s modern “Goodman 13 Seer AC/Heat Pump System”. **

My wife and I would like to thank all our 86 guest who stayed in Apartment 4 while we had our condensation leak. With “FIVE” days of seasonal downtime, a reliable local Heat & Air Company plus the nice folks at BB&T ($3,700) we were able to replace the older AC/Heat Pump System.

For those wishing to hear my side of this very heart wrenching review, please continue reading.

September 9th re-edited responses to September 5th “Hassle” review.

Mamboman38, At your check out, Monday, Sept 2,’13, I volunteered, without hassling you, and gave you your “full refund” via your now deleted bank information. I too was upset your planed Labor Day Vacation got messed up. Then five minutes later, housekeeping discovered Apartment 4 at a very pleasant 73 degrees. The AC had not failed a second time. Later that day I paid for all your cleaning fees.

Now that being said: After “our” private email conversation I hoped this issue “finished”, yet you persist on the World Wide Web. For me to omit your review would be me not maintaining our facility. A small portion of the Room Occupancy Taxes we have-to-collect has been going to “TripAdvisor” for industry support.

Yes you are correct. Apartment 4’s Freon ran low, not out, on a very hot, humid, busy Labor Day Saturday. Like you, I too was upset. (I would not want my AC to go out on my sunny 80+ degrees days off.) The moment you informed us of the breakdown, you started disputing “my” rates. My first duties are for safety and to get a professional AC/Heat Pump repair company in as soon as possible. On a Saturday holiday, the unexpected was promptly repaired.

Apartment 4's condensation issue developed in early June 2013. Since safe downtime was impossible, a special GFI bathroom outlet was installed for guest safety for a grounded Wet-Shop-Vac for the remove of condensation from the auto-shut-off AC drip pan. Prior to your visit, Apartment 4, with its condensation issue, was rented 72 days to 18 other parties (86 people in all). With the inconvenience of the estimated 30 second vacuum requirements, the same “untouched” AC unit works today. The “twice a day” information had been reported by many dear confidentials.

I don’t understand your “hassle” comment. I am in the “hospitality business”. Folks come here to get-a-way from life’s frustrations and disappointments. It wasn’t until you checked out that you-lead-me-to-believe the AC unit completely failed a second time. It had not failed.

**Before you arrived, Apartment 4’s heat pump was slated to be finance for complete changes out upon the season’s downtime so please don’t take any credit fixing our condensation leak. It takes safety, scheduling and many thousand$ of dollars to properly change out a complete AC/Heat pump system.

Sincerely, Gilbert Alphin, Blue Marlin Apartments and Beach Shop, Kure Beach, NC

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
Reviewed April 27, 2011

You could not ask for any nicer owners...Went above and beyond there call.. I give it a 5 star....Should have wrote back last year when we went.. Going back the first of May of this year,,..Great for wheel chairs...

• Stayed May 2010
sanford,nc
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I decided at the last minute to make a trip to Kure beach and the aquarium with our 20 month old. We've always loved Kure beach but hadn't realized how much it had changed in the past several years. (Why do people have to tear down lovely little beach cottages/communities for high rise condo boxes that block out the beach, sun and sky?) How fortunate we were to find the Blue Marlin! This is the Kure beach we know and love! Friendly, genuine owners...a clean, safe 2 bedroom beach cottage (unit #6)...this is what North Carolina's coast is really about! Thank you Gilbert for the hospitality, relaxing weekend, and wonderful memories! We'll be back soon!

Room Tip: room 6 = 1 block from ocean
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank hootie100
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed in unit #3 and it was very nice and peaceful. You could sit on the back deck and hear the ocean. I wish I was there now instead of home writing this review. Gilbert was very nice before, during and after our visit. I had emailed him about our stay and he was very nice and replied right away. We chatted a bit when we visited the store and a nice email after we were back home.
Our unit #3 was top floor with a total of 4 units in the building. We never heard a word out of the others. We slept well in our beds and felt very safe at night. We left the door open a lot so we could hear the ocean.
We cooked two meals while we are there (make sure you open the door and cut on the oven fan, so the fire alarm won't go off... of course it could have been our cooking) anyway the oven and stove worked great.
We did have internet but it was VERY slow connection. But enough for us all to do a little on our laptops. It works best on the back deck which was ok by me.
We had no problems with the carpet.... it's beach carpet folks and of course it's going to be a mess if you allow your kids to spill things on it. But ours wasn't that bad in our unit.
Ocean front with a awesome view!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank oceanwinds
Sertoma
Reviewed September 13, 2010

The carpets were old looking and nasty. The sofas were too scary to sit on. The place says newly renovated? No. Painted I guess. I have a crawling baby and her hands and knees stayed black with dirt inside the ocean front unit we were in. Anytime the kids spilled something the carpet was impossible to clean up properly. The location is excellent. Loved the grassy area between apt and beach. Wish they had laundry facilities in the units. Could put stackables in the furnace closet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BaileyJackson
Gilbert A, Owner at Blue Marlin Beach Lodging, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
YES! Back Then, Dirty-Carpet-Build-UP! This spring, 2013 we found the best professional cleaning "team" around with the best professional products! Now that being said, we ask our guest to use care when staying with us. We found that quality carpet is less expensive than vinyl flooring, ceramic tile or heart pine boards. Thank you for all your help in keeping our floors clean. Gilbert Alphin, Blue Marlin Apartments and Beach Shop, Kure Beach, NC
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We loved staying here. We stayed it the biggest unit they have, #7. Two bedrooms and a combo room with even more room to sleep. It was great. The only part that I iwsh it had was a poll, because we had small children afraid of the beach. But other thanthat, everything was awesome!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TracyLynn627
NC
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Been going to this area and stayed at Blue Marlin sporatically since 1997. They really need to get rid of the carpet and the awful plain upholstered furniture that's been there since we started going. They are nice people, but the places really need to be updated. Carpet and sand don't mix. Some units (use to anyway) have carpet in the cooking and dining area. Yuk. Popcorn plaster falling off of ceiling. Yes, they try to keep it clean, it just needs refurbished.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
#4 of 6 in Kure Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#12 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Blue Marlin Beach Lodging? Share your experiences!