“A local and this place is my fav!!”
Review of Spanky's Grille

Spanky's Grille
Ranked #12 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed December 11, 2013

As a resident of the Outer Banks, I realize there are lots of restaurants to try. Even I haven't been to them all! Spanky's is one of those places where we go instead of trying new places. I absolutely LOVE their food, as does my husband, and we typically have a hard time agreeing on places! The owners are wonderful folks and always happy to chat about whatever is going on. The decor is fun and gives you something to do while you wait (for a very short time) for your food. They have a large variety of food to choose from, and the prices are SUPER reasonable (especially for such a touristy area).

My parents were in from out of town the day after Thanksgiving, and wanted to eat out. They tend to be rather particular about their food, so hubby and I brought them to Spanky's of course. Both of them were very impressed (and that's a hard thing to do!). My Dad tends to be 'very honest' with his comments, even if they aren't the best, but he had only wonderful things to say about Spankys! :o)

My favorite thing here are the hush puppies, yummm! I'm not a burger person and they have plenty of other options for me to choose from. My husband is a HUGE burger person and almost always has a viking. If I let him eat out as often as he wanted, NC would win the challenge year after year just on his account.

Thank you, Spanky's, for having such a great place for locals and tourists alike. We love the family friendly and fun atmosphere, chatting with you guys, and of course the prices. See you soon!

SpankysGrille, Owner at Spanky's Grille, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

It's always great to read a nice long positive review. The burgers are always our top seller. In the summer we sell so many hush puppies my wife and our other cook (George) like to compare the size of their wrists as it takes a lot of wrist strength to scoop thousands of hush puppies. We love to hear that our prices are reasonable (value is always goal #1) and fun. We love what we do and we only hire people who love to work. Restaurants with old fashion values draw the best customers. Thanks!!! -Spanky

There are newer reviews for Spanky's Grille

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

For an affordable meal, big selection, very friendly service, I always stop here. Great nc bbq! The hamburger steak is great too.

Good food, great service, great prices. You really listed our three priorities. Thanks for the nice comments. -Spanky

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Spanky's Grille is a cheap, fast food restaurant. You order at the counter, and they deliver the food to your table. Everyone was very friendly, and if you are in a hurry, and don't want to spend a lot of money, this is the place to go. They have different daily specials. Hubby and I both ordered the foot long chili hot dogs for $2. Tasty dogs, but bun was a bit dry. I added coleslaw to my dog, and hubby added sauerkraut. French fries were $1.59 and you got quite a bit for the price. Hot and good! Domestic beers were $2.49. Cheap! Will stop again on our next trip to the Outer Banks, if in a hurry and too tired to cook at the condo!

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal. As for the bun or anything that isn't right, just let us know as try 100% of the time, and if we miss the mark, we will correct it 100% of the time.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We got in town about 7 pm and didn't want to venture far from our condo. Very unique place with unique personalities working there. The food was excellent...especially the catfish sandwich. We will probably go back each time we come to OBX. Warning, they are only open Thurs thru Sat so don't delay your visit.

1  Thank Columbus_OhioRandy51

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Last year I told my wife...our menu is getting too big, we have to stop adding items (and yes, it's my fault that the menu has gotten so big). We then did a catfish special and it just took off. Guess what, I lied to my wife (not a wise thing to do), but we had to add the catfish to the menu. I absolutely love when a new customer sees a catfish sandwich going past them as they always ask, "What the heck was that." You can't even fit it in a box, both sides stick out. Gotta love it.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The fare is somewhat limited to mediocre but inexpensive hot dogs, more expensive but much better hot dogs, chopped barbeque sandwiches, French fries...

The service is fast ( hence fast food) which you order standing in a line at the cash register...

SpankysGrille, Owner at Spanky's Grille, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

We respect everyone's opinion, but we do want to clarify two things.

(1) We don’t have an expensive and inexpensive hot dog, they are all $0.79. We do have a foot long, which is more expensive, because it’s more expensive to produce.

(2) Limited fare? Our regular menu has over fifty items, and we generally have thirty or more items on the special board.

We strive to please a 100% of our customers and are always saddened by the reality that we can't be all things to all people.

-Spanky