“Great Place to Eat Lunch!”

Barefoot Bernie's Bar & Grill
Ranked #14 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Specializing in exquisite and refreshing island cuisine in a classy yet casual tropical ambience, Barefoot Bernie's Tropical Grill & Bar has become a true destination on the Outer Banks restaurant circuit.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

At lunch here and the food and atmosphere were both very good. The place was packed, and for a January day, that should tell you something. They have a variety of seafood, sandwiches, salads, etc. in a fun, beachy atmosphere.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn staff recommended BBs to watch football. Me being a Green Bay fan and my wife being Pittsburgh we loved upon entry seeing all the tvs and availability of seating in areas where your game was being televised. Our waiter was exceptional from start to finish and never missed a beat. he filled our drinks continuously, and the food served was well prepared and exceptional. The wings here are a must try. Our newest dish and best of the day was the kettle chip nachos with chicken. Try it is all we can say. All of the staff were coordial and friendly and the folks around us all were having a superb time. We will definitely return here even if not during football season to eat when we stay in Kitty Hawk.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The wine queen and I visited in January for dinner on a Saturday night. Got there around 5:30 and found tables to spare. That did not last long. We split a garden salad to start off with. I believe it was $3.99. Good enough, and our waitress, Shelly, brought it to us divided on two plates, nice touch. An extra dressing cost 50 cents. No problem.

I ordered the seafood gumbo. Good choice. Shrimp, scallops, fish bits and sausage on jasmine rice with a nice, quite spicy gumbo gravy. I would have preferred more gravy, but it would have burned the heck out of me. Tasted great, however. There was also an ample portion of onion bits, green onion, tomato bits and some pea-and-corn type veggie in the mix. Good, but it did get spicy toward the end. Price $15

The wine queen ordered a dish that included shimp, scallops, clams and spinach in a cream sauce over linguini. It was recommended to her by Shelly. Wife said it was great! It looked very good to me. Price $16

We had eaten enough, but made the mistake of noticing a dessert someone at a nearby table had gotten. So we had the waitress run thru the litany of desserts. We chose to split a piece of white chocolate rasberry cheesecake. It arrived with two nice dollops of whipped cream. The cheesecake was absolutely marvelous! We'll go back for the cheesecake again! Did I mention that Shelly recommended that particular cheeesecake as her favorite. Later she confided in us that sometimes they also have "rocky road" cheesecake, too ... or instead. I'd eat anything that young lady told me to eat!!!!!

Disappointments: They do not have Thousand Island dressing. It's the freak'n Outer Banks for Jezz sakes! And instead of Hatteras clam chowder, they feature New England Clam Chowder. Did I mention that it's the freak'n Outer Banks!?

But the food is right. The price is right. The service is right. Shelly has great taste!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stopped by Barefoot Bernie's after going to the theater and had a good meal. We have been here many times for lunch but this is a first for diner. The place was crowded for a Wednesday evening at 6-7pm, and the noise was fairly high, but the food compensated. I had coconut shrimp with fries and coleslaw, my partner had oysters on the half shell. My shrimp were perfect and reminiscent of when I first had them in St Lucia years ago. My partner also said that his oysters were equally as good. Bernie's is always a good place to eat and can't go wrong. Our waiter was Derek and was attentive, friendly and cute. Bill was $45 for 2 with no alcohol.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a great resturant on OBX. Been here twice and plan on going back!! Both times I had the chicken ceasar salad. You would think this would just be an easy standard thing at any resturant, but something about their salad's is just so good!! It's so fresh, large portion and great dressing selections. I have been with others who also had other menu items and loved them. Definitely plan on going back and trying more of their menu!!