“A beach institution”

John's Drive In
Ranked #10 of 68 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: An Outer Banks tradition, John's has been a favorite with locals and vacationers since 1977! Serving Fresh Tuna and Fried Dolphin served with homemade tartar sauce or fresh made cocktail sauce. Also available many flavor of malt, fresh fruit milkshake and other tasty ice cream treats. John's gives free ice cream to dogs, horses, rabbits, skunks and any other type of pet that you would bring to John's would earn you a "puppy cup."
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Boy are we lucky. We were able to sneak in just before John's closed for the season! A few more folks may get the chance to eat at John's in 2013, but this shack with unbelievable milk shakes, "skins-on" fries, great mahi burgers, will soon close for the year. You pull up to John's right on the beach road (as the locals call it) and you wait until you can get a parking space. Then there's a line and then there's a wait while they make your order. Why are all of these other people here, in front of this shack? Because it is worth it! My wife and I both went for our standard delight (a peanut butter and chocolate milk shake). Our companions tried other variations, chocolate and bananas, vanilla and cookie dough. Everyone's eyes rolled up. If you missed it this season, try not to miss it next time. it's worth the hunt.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place was recommended by a business acquaintance. Drive or walk up and get a great meal. We both ordered the mahi boat for lunch and were rewarded with a large amount of mahi and fries. Dinner was out of the question that night.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Best dolphine boats anywhere, and the milkshakes are sooo good, my daughter and her husband and children come a few times a year and if John's is closed they are really sad.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Used to recommend this place for tourists, but it is poor quality and bad service at rip-off prices. Am a native local, and there are many better places to spend your hard-earned vacation dollars.

1  Thank wanderzoi
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I had a great experience when I visited John's last week. Living in an area where the old fashioned drive-in restaurants are few and far between, I was delighted by my nostalgic experience at John's.

I ate a plain cheeseburger, my boyfriend had the "Dolphin boat sandwich" (mahi-mahi). Food was fresh, french fries crispy and I topped it off with a chocolate milkshake. I would certainly go again!