“Excellent food in a semi-relaxed atmosphere.”

Black Pelican Oceanfront Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Food was delicious, service was fast. Atmosphere was good. Overall a very nice place to have great seafood in the OBX! Will be returning!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My sister and I went to outer banks and she talked me into going here after our wine tasting at the Sanctuary. I ordered the bankok shrimp and the fried oysters , I was hungry for those oysters, my sister ordered the tuna salad with veg. All were wonderful. The oysters were small, quite a few, but they were mighty- good that is.So tasty and flavorful, I just keep thinking I want to go back for more. I can't say enough about the lunch we had, my sister's tuna tasted fresh caught, my shrimp were tempura fried to perfection with a sauce on the side that complimented them wonderfully. The service was great and oh the desserts were to die for. I want to go back again, I am from VA. Beach.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We ate here for dinner in early March 2014. We tried 3 seafood dishes, and all were fresh and tasty. The tuna tartare appetizer dish was just ok, as some of the pieces were too fatty, and the chunks were too large. But the accompanying seaweed salad and wantons added a nice texture balance. The price was pretty similar to surrounding restaurants, and for fresh seafood, was pretty reasonable. The service was also good. We would recommend and would visit again in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Three of us visited for lunch as we had a gift certificate that was expiring. The first thing that catches your eye as you go past the hostess stand is their desert cooler. The size of the slices of cheesecake and coconut cream pie almost had me ordering desert first. The two ladies had the fried rockfish and I had the shrimp basket. The fish was nicely done and was served with french fries & coleslaw. The fish was a pretty thick piece and for lunch just about the right size. The french fries were standard fare, not bad, but not great either. On the other hand, the coleslaw was some of the best I have ever tasted, as was the shrimp I had. Only problem, there was only eight in the basket, which wasn't near enough for me. We also had the fried calamari and my bride had the Hatteras clam chowder. Calamari was pricey but very good and my bride enjoyed the chowder. We will definitely go back as we visit the OBX in the off season often.

1  Thank clarkec_13
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Black Pelican has been one of my favorite restaurants in the Outer Banks. I have been coming here for over 15 years now. My family and I went here yesterday for lunch. I ordered a pepperoni pizza which was a little too done in my opinion. It was also a bit cold when it arrived at my table. My partner ordered a hamburger which she enjoyed, but it hurt her stomach later on. Our daughter ordered a salad with candied nuts, strawberries, oranges and romaine lettuce. She enjoyed it. Our waitress was there, she didn't make a total effort of checking in on us. Our drinks only went empty once but after that, she was there to refill it. I think it was just an off day when we went.

1  Thank Ferrickhead28