“Good BBQ in OBX”

Ranked #3 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is a good place to go if you want good N.C. BBQ at a reasonable price. The atmosphere has a very local, down home vibe. The staff is very friendly and your order is back to your table quickly. They have to go so you can take some back home. The prices are very reasonable. The sides will make you think of eating dinner at grandma's house.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

"How y'all doing'? Sit anywhere." was our friendly greeting at the door.

We beat the daily lunch rush by getting there about 11:20. The staff is very friendly. The food is primarily NC BBQ. For the non-NC BBQ folks, they have a red BBQ sauce labeled as non-NC but it still has vinegar undertones - light enough that I enjoyed it - and I prefer "northern" red BBQ sauce. The staff was johnny-on-the-spot with refills. The portions are plentiful; two could easily share for a light meal.

The menu is primarily either pulled pork or pulled chicken. A platter includes two sides. There are multiple selections for sides with daily specials. Today's special sides were potato salad or mac-n-cheese - and maybe a third that I don't recall.

The food was delicious. My wife, 2 YO son, and I ate for $18 not including tip. Best bang-for-the-buck value we found in the OBX.

1  Thank Thom P
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

This place was ok. The meat was actually really good, but no one in our party of 10 liked any of the three different sauces. Service was not great either. I had to ask our server to refill drinks every time.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Picked up some bbq yesterday and it was tasty. But for $9.99 a pint the container wasn't even full. It weighed 9 oz. and that is including the container. Felt a little ripped off. The vinegar based sauce was a little bland. But the bbq itself was good.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My fiancé and I had lunch here just before returning to New York. The service was excellent and the food was amazing! I had the ribs, which fell right off the bone and were packed with lots of flavor! My fiancé had the brisket, which was soooo tender! I must admit I stole a majority of her brisket, but I can do that now that we're engaged right? Anyways, my only regret is that we didn't find your restaurant sooner. Now that the Outer Banks will be an annual vacation spot we can't wait to visit your restaurant again! Thank you for great memories!