“Happy Honeymoon”

Ranked #6 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I'm a northern boy and an avid seafood fan, so the idea of southern (carolina) barbecue did nothing for me. Since I came to the outer banks on my honeymoon, I only had two things on my mind, and the other one was fresh local seafood. As one might imagine, I walked into High Cotton as a concession to my new wife and as a sceptic. What followed was a grand series of pleasant surprises. The atmosphere was simple and welcoming. I saw wall to wall smiles from patrons and staff alike. The service was quick and friendly. Every last dish I sampled was sensational (especially the NC Pulled Pork). High Cotton is the place where southern hospitality and southern barbecue meet to create a one of a kind dining experience. It's the only place I want to revisit before heading back north. I'll take High Cotton's barbecue over the finest seafood 9 out of 10 times. That's saying something.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Had dinner here one night. Was hungry for a pulled pork sandwich. Figured they would do a better job than a restaurant since bbq pork was what they did. The sandwich was very good. Although I think a little small. I asked prior to ordering if one with some fries would be sufficient and was told that it would be more than enough. Well it wasn't. I ordered a second sandwich and the waiter brought it and said it was on the house. I told him it certainly wasn't necessary or expected, but he insisted. How nice...not something you experience very often. I will go back simply because of their great service.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

this food was amazing. great ribs, great chicken, great brisket. The hush puppies and sides are amazing. very nice atmosphere for anyone, families or couples. I will be making this my yearly vacation spot.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I can't say enough good things about High Cotton. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, the food was incredible, and the prices were more than reasonable. If you're looking for a place to grab some good barbecue, you can't go wrong with High Cotton.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We have been coming to the OBX annually for a few years, and High Cotton has been a must go for us. We have not had any bad meal here. They can get very busy and people comes in larger groups, so during dinner time you might need to wait for a table... but its worth it.