“Really good crabs and shrimp”

I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar
Ranked #4 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We're a locally owned shellfish market and oyster bar offering the freshest, local seafood in the Outer Banks. Our specialty is blue crabs and steaming is always free. Eat in or Take out. Open year-round 7 days a week from 11:30 am to 9:00 pm. For more information, please visit our website.
Reviewed August 25, 2014

It's been at least 15 years since we've stayed in the lower Outer Banks, so we weren't sure where to go for meals. After reading reviews on this site, we decided to try this restaurant. Soooo happy we did!

We started off with the She Crab soup, then had steamed jumbo crabs and spiced shrimp, with coleslaw and hush puppies. Everything was great. And I mean everything.

As reported in another review, the soup was awesome. The amount of crab was okay (the other reviewer stated there was an abundance of crabmeat), but the flavor was so good that it more than made up for the amount of crab.

The wait staff was wonderful. We went on a weeknight, about 5:15pm, and had our choice of seating (except for the tables, which were full). I think every waiter/waitress stopped by at some point to check on us. And this occurred even after the place got really busy.

My one and only complaint is how they spice the seafood- and this is purely my preference versus their cooking technique. We steam our seafood with the Old Bay added to the water. Their method is to put it directly on the seafood after it's steamed-- and on the plate.
We have been to other restaurants that also prepare their seafood this way, we just like it done the other way. And this wouldn't stop us for returning to this restaurant.

2  Thank ckrs1
IGYCOBX, Manager at I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Thank you so much for trying us out and taking the time afterward to leave a review. I especially appreciate your compliments on our staff and soup. Those are two things we take a lot of pride in. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

This is probably some of the best, fresher seafood we have ever had. Crab cakes are 99% sweet crab meat, oysters were perfect, shrimp cooked to perfection. Staff very friendly. Only 2 booths with bar seating, worth waiting for.

2  Thank Rcd587

We really appreciate your compliments on our friendly staff and food! We hope you'll join us again soon for lunch or dinner. Have a great day.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

We enjoyed a large pan of jumbo crabs and very friendly and funny service. This place was a hoot and the food was crabalicious. We ordered sides of hush puppies, sweet potato fries, asparagus, etc. - all good. We also had some crab and shrimp tacos - different and tasty. There was also a kids menu and the chicken fingers were rated acceptable by the 7 year old critic. The waitresses all work together and keep things moving and fun. This was a great experience for all of us (six people).

1  Thank fred200099
IGYCOBX, Manager at I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thank you for leaving such a fun review. I'm glad your group of six enjoyed their experience right down to the 7 year old critic. We hope to see you again on your next trip to the area for another "Crabalicious" meal!

Reviewed August 21, 2014

The fried scallops are the best I've ever had! The perfect coating and spice...not too heavy, not too light: Just right! And the sweet potato fries with the melted butter and brown sugar dip....Oh Lordy, take me back to Kitty Hawk!
As a Marylander, my crab standards are high...ordered 1/2 dozen crabs that were OK...Reheated, which makes them lighter, easier to pick, sometimes watery, but still OK. Very friendly service, too.

1  Thank Santasraindear

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for us. I love your enthusiasm with the scallops! They'll be waiting for you to return to Kitty Hawk. Hopefully, it's soon!

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Great little place for fresh crabs and seafood. Only two tables, but fair amount of counter space. We went at typical dinner time and had to wait about 15 minutes to sit down. There were four of us and we opted to sit at the counter, which was fine.

Service was friendly. It was bustling and at one point we did need to flag down the young man who sat us to finally give our order, but overall the service was prompt and good.

The counters are stainless steel and they cover them with brown paper when you sit down so you can make your mess. It was myself, my husband and our 8 and 10 year olds. We wanted to try a variety of things and although the menu lists t/hings by the dozen (or more), we asked if we could order half dozens of things and our waiter said it was no problem at all. We got 6 jumbo blue crabs with medium spice, 2 fried oysters (my 10 year old wanted to try them and she did and she like them!) and 4 raw (for my husband and myself), a dozen fried shrimp, 6 steamed clams with melted butter, 6 hushpuppies and a bowl of the she-crab soup.

Everything was fresh and delicious. The crabs were sweet and yummy. The oysters were the perfect combination of sweet and briny. The shrimp were lightly fried with a delicious remoulade-type of dipping sauce. The hushpuppies were tasty. BUT, the she-crab soup was to die for!!!! Creamy, but not too thick. Spicy but not overly so. Nice amount of crab meat. Absolutely divine!!!!
They have canned beer and from what I could see, small bottles of Sutter Home wine, plus the usual sodas, etc .

It was a fun experience and the food was really, really enjoyable. Recommend it whole-heartedly for a great seafood experience.

1  Thank LOREN A

I loved reading that your daughter loved the fried oysters after trying them for the first time. That's exactly why we set up the menu so that you only have to order as little or as much as you need. We'd love to serve your family any time.