“Friends (at I Got Your Crabs) don't let other friends (you!) eat imported shrimp”

I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We're a locally owned shellfish market and oyster bar offering the freshest, local seafood in the Outer Banks. Our specialty is blue crabs and steaming is always free. Eat in or Take out. Open year-round 7 days a week from 11:30 am to 9:00 pm. For more information, please visit our website.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Another restaurant owner in the area highly recommended this place to us, which speaks volumes since there are many, many seafood eateries here.

In the four years we've been coming to the area we've learned not all seafood served on the Outer Banks is created equally. A lot of the seafood caught here is purchased by fancy New York or Tokyo restaurants at top dollar. In fact, it is more expensive for restaurants to buy local seafood than ship it in from Thailand, etc. When you are eating on the OBX be sure to look for the "Outer Banks Catch" icon on the menu/front of the restaurant.

What makes this restaurant so special - apart from the excellent prices - is that the place is family-run by people who care about the origin of their seafood. Family members take part in all aspects of the business. Some are the crabbers out on the Currituck Sound daily to catch the seafood. Others are behind the scenes steaming shrimp or out front waiting on customers sitting at the bar or booths.

Besides this being a "farm-to-fork" type of restaurant, the food itself is amazing. My husband and I had 1/2 of steamed shrimp each plus sides - coleslaw (homemade), corn, and potatoes - and cold beer (in a can). From the first bite you just know it is local. It tastes nothing like the imported shrimp frozen at the grocery store. The total bill was about $32.00 with tip.

I Got Your Crabs opened its doors last July and has already earned its bragging rights as one of the best seafood spots on the Outer Banks in my opinion. The restaurant is open year round. I'd highly recommend getting to this restaurant while you can. If you want to sit down, I'd recommend visiting during the off-season. If you are in Kitty Hawk during the peak season, you may want to get your seafood to go. This place is going to be packed once word gets out.

• Visited December 2012
IGYCOBX, Manager at I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
It's good to know that others appreciate our efforts to keep our seafood local. Thank you so much for such a great review. Your pictures are fantastic and we hope to see you again soon!

Floyd, Virginia, United States
“Fantastic family-run restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

this restaurant is a must for any person coming to the outer banks. their oysters and crabs are local and delicious. the she-crab soup is fantastic, creamy and overall a great price. the attendants were extremely friendly and understanding, and the only complaint i could pull out of anywhere is that all of their food was served on disposable plates and with plastic spoons and knives. that was a little tacky, but i could tell it was because they dedicated all of their workers to their fantastic kitchen. great restaurant, i will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2012
We're so glad that you enjoyed the soup and seafood! We keep it casual and fun because crabs and oysters are messy. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Come again soon.
nc
“Just right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you want fresh, local, affordable seafood in a no-frills dining experience, this is the place for you! I was put off by the name, so didn't check them out when they first opened. But my mom went there with friends and wanted to take me, so I figured if mom can deal, so can I. I had not realized that they were family-owned by longtime local watermen until I walked in an saw the family pics everywhere and read the story on the menu.

Anyway, the place was super-clean and service was more than friendly. There is a long bar with stools, but we sat at one of the two (I think?) booths with stainless steel tables. I started with the DELICIOUS she crab soup. The serving size was enormous, but I had no problem finishing it. This was hot, creamy, not too rich and have I mentioned delicious?!

For dinner I split a half-peck of steamed oysters with the boyfriend - about 40 oysters for $20, a pretty sweet deal. My mom got a dozen oysters lightly steamed, which they were happy to accommodate. We had thought they would have a burger or something for my non-seafood-eating kid, but I don't think they have a grill at all. She was happy with steamed broccoli and hush puppies, but that's something to keep in mind if you have little ones.

Did I mention the hushpuppies? Usually places just reheat the nasty Sysco product, but these tasted freshly home made, deep fried goodness and were served with a brown sugar and butter sauce - mmmmm! We had 2 baskets but could have eaten more, especially with the very reasonable price.

Beer was served in cans, which fit the mood. They were cold and plenty, so what more do you need? I would highly recommend this place for great seafood at a very great price!

• Visited December 2012
IGYCOBX, Manager at I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
We're so glad that you decided to give us a try! We will be open year-round so be sure to stop in again for more soup and oysters. The peck is definitely the best deal. We do offer a PB&J kid's meal and welcome outside food to be brought in if there's a non-seafood eater in your group. We'll look into expanding the menu in the future, though. Thank you for the suggestion and we hope to serve you again soon!
kill devil hills, nc
“Not classy but good food, service and prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

They offer an eat-in area but the place is mainly for take-out customers. They offer ( in season) oysters, crabs ( raw and steamed) in small or large quantities, as well as other seafood.
They have some really good she crab soup and clam chowder.

Visited September 2012
IGYCOBX, Manager at I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed our soup and service. If you love the she crab, you'll have to try the oyster stew next time you visit us. It's delicious!
Winchester, Virginia
“Great little spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a relatively new restaurant and we think it will thrive and enlarge. Be sure to try the steamed oysters and she-crab soup. The prices are very reasonable and the seafood is fresh.

Visited October 2012
IGYCOBX, Manager at I Got Your Crabs Shellfish Market and Oyster Bar, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your confidence in our success. We're so glad that you enjoyed your meal and can't wait to see you again next time you're in town.