“Yummy food - good for families”

The Good Life Gourmet
Ranked #23 of 67 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Corona
“Yummy food - good for families”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for lunch with our 9 and 7 year olds who loved the macaroni and chocolate cake. The pulled pork sandwich was delicious too. Service was average.

2 Thank aimster71

Richmond, Virginia
“Made to order food is great...pastries, not so much.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Love their breakfast and lunch sandwiches. However we just went in to get 3 slices of various cakes, got home to try them, and they all tasted like they had been sitting out for days. Room temperature cheesecake, that's also stale, is just not acceptable. They said they get them from a supplier, which is fine, but if they can't keep the quality to a decent level, they shouldn't carry them...especially when they are charging $5.49 for a tiny slice.

Boston, Massachusetts
“If you like the good life, stop here...”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a great place for lunch. Sandwiches, soups, teas, coffees, pastries. Very straightforward - order your lunch and pay, take your number to a table and it will be delivered. The food is very good and they also have good wine, lots of bottled beer, which can also be purchased to go.

The "dining room" includes a very long bar but there didn't appear to be taps for beer - I think most of the wide variety is in bottles. I would've given an excellent rating except that service was slow one time I was there and the dining area is a bit sprawling, not so cozy if you're looking for that kind of atmosphere. But I will always return!

2 Thank like2travelnhike
Smithfield, VA
“Ho Hum Breakfast, Heck of a beer selection”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The wine queen and I tried the Good Life for the first time recently. I was immediately impressed by the drink selection. There were all sorts of hard to find soft drinks and beers on display. There were also some other specialty snacks and gourmet foods for example that one can carry out ... or just unwrap and eat there, I suppose. We glanced at the lunch menu, just for grins, and found some items that we'd return for some day. GL is at about the 4.5 mile post, by the way, on the west side of the bypass.

To order, go to the cashier. We found her to be very accomodating.

You pour your own coffee and water, and set your own table. This is a very self-serve establishment. The coffee selections were worthwhile, by the way.

The queen ordered two eggs, home fries, toast and a side of bacon. Her eggs were over medium as requested, The toast was thick and tasty, especially with the prepackaged honey butter. But the bacon was way undercooked. Shame on us for not taking it back to be "fixed".

I ordered three eggs, home fries, toast and a side of Taylors pork roll. The toast was good. See above. The eggs, surprisingly, looked nothing like the queens. Way over done, but I ordered over medium. The home fries were decent but inconsistant. A few of them could have been cooked the day before. And the Taylors pork roll ... I have only had that side meat once before, at a Johnny Rocket's at Atlantic City, NJ. I recall it to have been good. I also recall it to have been thicker. This pork roll (it's sort of like bologna, only made with pork) was sliced paper thin. If on the grill more than a second, it's gonna be sort of tough and dried out. And because it was so thin, it cooled down in a New York second. I was not impressed. And to think that I chose that over link sausage. Next time, I'll know better.

The check ran about $23 as I recall.

Bottom line. We'll do breakfast there again sometime. But it will not displace our preferred breakfast sites, for certain. I do look forward to having lunch or a light dinner there sometime, however.

1 Thank Big-Deeee
Albany, NY
“Plasant breakfast”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Ate breakfast here a few days ago. We were uncertain about the set up, but was instructed by the waitress/cashier that you order and pay at the counter and then they bring it out to you. The breakfast menu contained all of the usual suspects: eggs, omelets, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, French toast and breakfast sandwiches. I understand that during "the season" they also have crepes and other more exotic items, but not this morning. We decided on the Crab and cheddar omelet (which is served with your choice of home fries or grits, toast or biscuit) and a side order of biscuits and sausage gravy for the hubby. We paid for our breakfast, and set about finding the coffee and hot water for tea. The hot water did not smell or taste like coffee, a big plus for a tea drinker like me. Hubby said the coffee was "very good."

Breakfast arrived quite quickly, served in the pan it was cooked in. Hubby's sausage gravy and biscuit side was as large as a full order at other restaurants, with gravy poured over two full biscuits (not halves as is the usual). He said that it was pretty good though it could have used more sausage. I thought that it could use more sausage and more sage. He added pepper which helped to spice it up. The biscuits were nice and tender.

My crab and cheddar omelet was also a good size, and there was a nice amount of home fries (though they needed to be cut more consistent size so that they could cook more evenly.) The toast was grilled (not toasted) and was not buttered, which always annoys me because by the time you butter it at the table it is too cool to melt the butter. The omelet contained a good amount of shredded crab, with some lump crab that had been scrambled into the eggs. There was a fair amount of mild cheddar cheese in the center. In all it was a fairly successful omelet.

The restaurant is small, with only 14 tables and about a dozen seats at the bar. It is all on one level so it is accessible for those with mobility issues, and the tables are spaced far enough apart that one should be able to maneuver a power wheel chair between them.

2 Thank Mrs-K-albany