“Great place for a rainy day”

Children at Play Museum
Ranked #4 of 22 things to do in Kitty Hawk
Moyock, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great place for a rainy day”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had friends in town and they were heading here to entertain their 2 1/2 year old. I was under the impression that it was a museum. Do not be fooled, it slightly resembles a museum, however it is more like a play place.

The entry fees are reasonable, except the adults have to pay!!! There is NOTHING here for adults, why do they have to pay? Kids were $7 and adults are normally $5, but I had a coupon making it $3 for adults. The problem was that we had 3 kids and 6 adults, I think the adults would have preferred mini golf.

Anyways, this is a small place, by small, I mean SMALL! Like an over-sized living room, small. They cram a lot of stuff into it including an x-box upstairs for the older kids (5 and up). Other activities are a giant wooden boat, a stage for pretend play with costumes, a play store with shopping carts and pretend food, kids exercise equipment (helpful for the ones with too much energy) a little video camera, a surfboard on a ball to pretend surfing, a tiny-tot corner with books, blocks, and some soft things to climb on, some of those little car things the toddlers can get in and use their feet to go around, and some pretend doctors things.

I'd say overall the kids enjoyed themselves. Its definitely not a true Children's museum and does not compare to the Portsmouth, VA children's museum. It's good for an hour of play or so on vacation, if you are going bananas in a vacation house. Would I return...I'd say only if circumstances made us (such as friends in town wanting to check it out).

2 Thank Loretta S

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“Fun place for the kiddos”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

There are a lot of activities and we found the staff to be very good with our 3 and 7 year old grandsons. We went on a day that they had a bit too much sun the day before and it wasn't overly crowded. Not sure it would be a good place on a rainy day.

If you're looking for a National Museum, this is not the place for you. If you want a kid friendly place, with a good staff, this is the perfect location.

2 Thank pitt_twins
Chesapeake, Virginia
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“We take some of the littles ones EVERY time we are at the beach!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Always something new..... helpful staff, lots for little ones under the age of 6..... by then, probably not interested...... although they have added a Wi area for age 5 and up. We have a grandparent membership so they can go anytime once we pay the yearly fee. A good bargain with 5 grandchildren under the age of 7!

2 Thank Ginny M
Kitty Hawk
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Rainy Day Fun”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I took my grand daughter there on a rainy day to celebrate the end of school. She had a blast and would have stayed all day if she could. They have a boat you can fish from but it was a bit unsafe, so you'll need to watch them on that feature.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Belizeinit
Springfield, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Calling is a "museum" is a stretch....”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having been to the National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY, I was overly disappointed to arrive at this "museum" in Kitty Hawk. It's about the size of a large living room and it's more or less a daycare or romper room. Yes, there are lots of toys and activities and kids love it (kids can play with dirt and love it). Admission was $7 per kid and $5 per adult -- completely overpriced, especially for the adults. I don't really understand the "museum" aspect of it at all. I guess our expectations were too high. Note: we had a great time with the kids in the park on the other side of the museum with a bunch of other families who were equally disappointed. After the playground, we headed over to Jockey's Ridge State park and played in the sand dunes so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Visited July 2013