“Was ok”

Ranked #2 of 2 Kitty Hawk B&B and Inns
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“Was ok”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Besides the outdated furnishings, especially mattresses and box springs, (no bugs) was pretty clean. Staff VERY friendly. NO extras, so take everything you need. Great if you're only gonna be there to sleep like we were. Same price down the street @ a chain with all the extras.........next time will go there...

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed February 13, 2014

my mother and I went down to have a relaxing weekend. we stayed here at the buccaneer. I was so impressed with the people, and the suite. it was very clean inside and the linens were very soft and fresh. I will definitely stay here again, when I am visiting the outer banks. thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: the suites are awesome. full kitchen living room, king size br and double br. what more could you a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank betty s
Virginia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Trip Advisor is my "go to" website for first time stays and restaurants. The positive reviews are very helpful. I had seen the Buccaneer from the Beach Road many times, so knew the "look" of it. I was a little surprised when I drove it, it does indeed look older, but it is. It has gone through many hurricanes.
Ownership has changed in the last year and you can tell the owners are trying to make improvements in the rooms.
My stay was very pleasant, I was told I would have a small frig and microwave, and also had a small kitchenette with little additions that made my stay much more comfortable.
The floor is ceramic tile, a very good addition to a beach room, much more sanitary than carpet. And the bed slept just great, a wonderful mattress. A new tub and surround has updated the bath.

Their website provides most information that you would need to make a decision. I would recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: They have both smoking and non-smoking rooms. If in the two story portion, the top floor would be b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Mimi W
Almost in Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2013

It is a very clean and well taken care of motel. The outside view of the property has some kind of pirate theme and makes the place look a bit like shanty town, but the rooms are very clean and the mattresses surprisingly comfortable (better than your average Holiday Inn Express). The amenities are simple, but better taken care of then some of the vacation rental houses in the area. If you are looking for a solid value in shouting distance from the beach, this is the place.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank CamoFlash
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was looking for a pretty cheap place to stay and found this gem online, I prefer to not give my money to huge chains when I can help it. The management was nice, I had booked online so had a few questions and they were all answered, the door locks are the newer type where you scan the card instead of slipping into a slot which is very easy.

The Room was very clean and the internet worked well aside from the prime time hours which was a nice surprise for this size motel. The room was also set up in a very comfortable way and felt like a little beach bungalow which is exactly what I like when I stay in the OBX.

I only used the pool once but it has a nice set up and was very clean also. There are plenty of comfy chairs all over and there is a desanding shower near the pool as well. Parking has been a complaint but I had no problems even when the lot filled up, it is not a standard parking lot but humans are supposed to be an adaptable species.

The Beach is very very close and although you cannot see the beach from the hotel (due to the dunes) you can hear the relaxing waves from your hotel room or the pool. What is important to me is the quality of the actual beach (which the hotel itself doesn't have much control over) and the quality of the sand and water is top notch at this location. There were some people on the beach but not a crazy amount like at some locations.

Overall It was a great experience for the price, clean comfortable rooms that felt like an island home and easy access to a nice oceanfront beach with a solid pool for lounging around. Really a cant miss for a fun vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for unit 31, it has a small but complete kitchen in it!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thevilified
North Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our family had 4 days to vacation in the Outer Banks - this was one of the few places we found that would allow us to reserve three nights - most everywhere else on OBX has a 7 night minimum. This place also said they had a 7 night minimum, but they had a few "in between" dates that were vacant, so we booked a 3 night stay in their "Small 2 bedroom" unit downstairs.

Honestly, my first impression driving up, was "oh my gosh, time has stood still and it's the 1970's!". This is an old motel. Period. It does appear that the owners have tried to keep it up and running - but it is old, and the design and appearance reflects that.

The office was upstairs on the 2nd floor - yes, stairs to climb up to check in, so if you are handicapped be aware. Check in was quick and easy and owners daughter is friendly. Walking into the unit, I think we were all a little surprised at how small the space was, to be a "two bedroom unit" with kitchen and living room and one bath - and for the $167 and $187 nightly rates paid, the space and appearance just did not seem to be a good value to us.

Both bedrooms were small - the front bedroom held a king bed, and the mattress was somewhat floppy on the edges, but we did sleep well on it. The bedroom also held a dresser, small tv, and small closet. It held one of the unit's two window air conditioning units. This turned out to be a problem - in order for the unit to stay reasonably cool and keep the humidity down, this unit as well as the second unit had to run the entire time we were there - on full blast - and we could not close our bedroom door at night for any privacy from the living room, because doing so caused the temperature in the living room to rise quickly. Even cracking this front bedroom door for a couple of hours, caused a noticeable difference when walking into the living room, it was hot in there! Not to mention the second bedroom.

The second bedroom held a double bed, and this bedroom was so tiny, the bed was against one wall, and it was very tight navigating around this room. There was no air conditioning unit in this room and it was very hot and uncomfortable at night, sleeping with the doors cracked to get a little air inside. This was reported to the office and a box fan was handed out. This helped some, but did not fix the problem of no A/C in this room.

The living room area, and entire unit, has ceramic tile flooring. The living room held a sleeper sofa (which both teenagers said was very uncomfortable with metal rods in their backs - they had to turn and sleep sideways), a loveseat, and two small chairs. There was also a medium sized TV.

The kitchen area and living room are one room - the kitchen area held a old fridge with rust ./ dirt on the top (dont set your items up there!) and holds the unit's second air conditioning unit in the wall. There was a window over the kitchen sink covered with a curtain - opened up to get some natural light & reveal a view of the ground at eye level! The kitchen table was directly behind the loveseat in the living room. The kitchen was equipped to cook breakfast and had a coffeemaker and microwave, but no coffee cups were in the cupboards. We drank from Styrofoam cups.

The bathroom - oh my! Tiny was the word - tiny stall shower with exposed plastic pipes attached to the wall, and metal on/off levers like you would expect to see on an outdoor shower - tiny little sink, and tiny short little toilet. Highlight or lowlight, was trying to take a shower and shave my legs - put one hand out to brace myself against the wall so I could lean over, and accidentally touched the plastic pipe that ran up to the showerhead that carried hot water. Yikes!

Also worth mentioning, the parking is tight here. At night, trying to sleep, we heard a lot of stomping around overhead, and running up and down the steps that were right outside the front bedroom window - we heard these loud noises every night. When it continued past 11:30pm, we called the front desk and they did resolve it, both nights we had to call.

The pool area is fenced in, and the pool is somewhat small. There is also a fenced in decking area beside the pool with tables / chairs and umbrellas. Right across the street is beach access but we were not impressed with the beach in this area - the surf was very rough and crashing into the sand, with a 3 foot drop off between the beach and the water. There was a steep set of stairs to climb up and back down to even get onto the beach - and the stairs are literally one step from being in the road - you cannot step down off the stairs until no cars are coming or you will be in the path of oncoming traffic. Very nerve wracking. Right down the road at the Jeannette's pier is a much nicer beach with public access and a nice long walkway out to the sand. Much safer IMO.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else would be available on the OBX for just 3 nights at the rate we paid, but we do not feel that it was a good value for the money paid, and would probably not return here regardless of the rate - unless major renovations were done - that being said, it was clean, it was easy to locate and served as a base for our exploration of the OBX.

Room Tip: We were told that they have a "large 2 bedroom unit" but it was unavailable for our dates...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChippyandTracy
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My priority for a motel/hotel is a clean room where I am comfortable walking in bare feet. This is an older hotel but the owners make every effort to make sure the rooms are clean. Over the July 4th week, four of us stayed in Unit 45 which has three individual bedrooms plus full kitchen, eating and sitting areas. The bathroom is small but maintained. Individuals need to research costs of available rooms and rental homes within OBX and determine what they are willing to spend for a vacation. Buccaneer provided clean rooms at a very reasonable price in a great location right across the street from the beach and is centrally located on the island.

Room Tip: Unit 45 is considered a smoking unit but there was not any hint of smoke smell in the unit when we a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hil...
#11 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Buccaneer Motel & Beach Suites? Share your experiences!