“Worst RCI Exchange”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk
Reviewed April 19, 2012

They put us in their worst unit adjacent to the maintenance shed. Constant traffic and back up beeps. No Internet. No mid week cleaning. Not enough parking; had to park in the dirt. Complained about the parking and reply was "That's the way they were designed".In other words, you can't fix stupid. Worn out uncomfortable living room furniture. No flat screen TV in bedroom. Ancient washer and dryer shared with other units. Ancient mattress. Ancient mini blinds. Could hear people in neighboring units. Cheap plastic outdoor furniture

Room Tip: Stay away from 1700 building.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Shushed

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I went to kitty Hawk, barrier island stationf or a working vacation. I arrived late due to a family member was hospitlized, so when I arrived tired and stress and was checking in at the gaurd station Who prombly told me, "you was suppost to be here yesterday" I didn't find the hummor in it. The condo was nice enough but hard to find due to outside lighting is POOR! I then tried to hook up to the interenet inorder to check on loved one in the hospital and do some requried work but couldn't. The next moring i went to check in at main office and was told I had to buy a weeks workth of wi-fi or I COULD COME AND SIT IN MY CAR OUT SIDE THEIR OFFICE WITH MY LAP TOP! Or I could also sit on bence they had placed outside...for my convience. Has I was traveling alone no one offered me any maps of the area or coupons for places to eat nothing just sign date and get out. When I got back to my condo I called and asked for a manger who said sorry it's something the Home owners decised and there was nothing he could do he transfered me to the property manager who said the same thing. Then I get a call from the someone inviting me to come down and get an update on RCI! REALLY TALK ABOUT BAD TIMING. I hung up on him like I really want to buy something and get in business with people who do not understand that believe it or not people use the interenet for more than angry birds and facebook. I will not be back until staff is trained in customer service and home owners understand the importance of internet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank JanieW184
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We spent the week from Christmas to New Year at Barrier Island station. It was great! We had a four bedroom unit for 6 of us, and it was very spacious. The kitchen was extremely well equipped and there were plenty of linens. We had our own washer and dryer right in the unit. We got this as an RCI exchange, so it was an excellent deal. The furnishings in our unit, which was one of the newer ones, were all in excellent condition. Yes, the beds are a bit on the firm side, but we were quite comfortable. It's set in the woods, not right on the beach, which was fine for us in December. If you are going in the summer, there is a private lot for BISKH right at the beach, a little over a mile away.

The OBX turned out to be a great place to meet up with family for Christmas - the Wright Bros. Museum, Fort Raleigh, holiday lights at Elizabethan Gardens and the Poulos House in Kill Devil Hills, light houses...plenty to do. We also used the tennis courts and indoor pool at BISH. I'd go again, or perhaps try their Duck location, right on the beach.

Room Tip: the 4 bedroom unit we had included a room with a king bed, one with a queen bed and upstairs twin be...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank GGHHartsdale_NY
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This was our first time staying a week in the OBX before Christmas. We rented the four bedroom unit, thinking that we may have some other overnight guests join us from the north. The condo was very spacious, clean, comfortable and had everything we could possibly want. The kids enjoyed the upstairs area that had a huge walk in closet, my mom enjoyed her front bedroom with 8 windows and an adjoining bath. The kitchen was stocked with the necessities and the space was great. My kids even did a few activities on the schedule on events. We were in a cul de sac and no one was around all week. We had the top floor and it felt as though we were in a tree house. We brought our bikes and we were just minutes from everything. Great week in Kitty Hawk. Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Marianne C
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have stayed twice in the Barrier Island comples in Kitty Hawk. We use RCI points to get there, so it is an inexpensivbe trip for us. We are not looking for a luxury condo, merely something comfortable, convenient and clean, where we can bring the family and live close to the beach for a week.

We most love going to the beach by bike, there is a back road that runs directly to the beach, with only one crossing, and you are there in a mile. At the beach, there is a deli and beach shop, so it couldn't be easier to get drinks / lunch etc.

The resort itself is simple. There are activities to do most evenings, but nothing special. We used the pool, the tennis courts and enjoyed the fact that it seemed very family oriented and we were never worried about our kids playing outside.

The decor could certainly be updated, but I have seen a lot worse. The kitchen was fully functional and catered for 8 people even though the sleeping was for 6. Rooms a little dark, but as I say, we tend only to be there in the evening anyway. Like the screened porch.

Room Tip: I would always take an upstairs condo to avoid noise from other guests.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SusieT169
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The check in went well, I had faxed the information to them to save time. The lady was very good with us when she explained the check in process. We had the second floor with stairs going straight up. The room was very nice with two tv’s and the kitchen was great, except there was no oven in the kitchen. A goodie bag with items for the kitchen was provided. It was disappointing that it costs about $40.00 extra to get internet in your unit; you can go in the office or sit right outside the office to get Wi-Fi for free – very inconvenient. The pool and the grounds were very neat. Also, the staff was very helpful. We stay here a week.

Room Tip: Try to get first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Let me preface my review by saying that I have gone to this resort every year for the last 5 years. I love it here but there are good and bad points. Firstly, the bed pillows are the worst I have ever experienced. I have submitted critiques about this to the resort and I know that others have complained about the pillows because a staff member told me on my last visit. Also, many of the mattresses on their sofa sleepers are broken. (Each year, we have experienced these broken mattresses!)

The resort is not located on the ocean but it's very close. It's in a very woodsy setting and this adds to the serenity. The pools (outdoor and indoor) are wonderful. These pools are heated and sometimes feel like warm bath water. There's a kid's pool with an overhead sprinkler that children will enjoy, although it's very limited (no slides, etc.). The indoor pool area has a hot tub which is also wonderful.

This resort is fantastic for families because of the kitchens, large bedrooms,living area and resort amenities like basketball court, playground equipment, tennis area, etc. The kitchens have all the needed cookware, flatware, etc. The resort is located behind a Walmart, McDonalds and a Harris Teeter, if you need food or other items.

I love this resort because of the amenities it offers but each year I notice how little the ownership is trying to update the facilities. The ownership seems more interested in selling timeshare units than in updating the units and property. This resort is quite comfortable but, again, I hope that the ownership decides to update it. Wi-Fi and a few computers are available at the front desk of this resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Cypress Moon Inn
Cypress Moon Inn
#1 of 2 in Kitty Hawk
Buccaneer Motel & Beach Suites

Been to Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk? Share your experiences!