“Camping would be better, and I HATE camping.”
Review of River Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
River Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Kinston
Reviewed October 6, 2012

First I'd note that the sign says, "Under new management." I only saw the one man at the front desk both at night and the next morning, and he was ultra nice. So, I do wish him well.

With that note, I must say this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I'm fine with a budget hotel when we just want to sleep and be on our way. I just want a clean and comfortable room in those cases. Econo Lodge was neither clean nor comfortable.

The first thing I noticed was the carpet was worn out and filthy. In places, the pile was worn through to the liner. It had big stains in several places. And, it felt sticky. I wore my shoes in the room.

A battery was missing in the remote of the big bulky TV. The manager got a battery and checked to be sure that worked. That's how I knew he was trying.

We settled in, and the AC sounded like a train. Clang. Clang. It wasn't very cool either. Then I fell to sleep, and a burning smell woke me up. Hot air was coming out of the AC along with the smell of something burning. I guess the motor burned out. I got it turned off, and we spent a hot night in the room, since this happened at 1 a.m.

I went in the bathroom after the burning AC issue and noticed hair all along the walls (and a couple stuck to the inside of the tub) and also dirty walls and a super wrinkled shower curtain.

The sheets looked clean (and I hope they were), but they were worn thin (kind of limp and pilly), and the pillow was flat as a pancake. It was too hot to use the covers. So I was laying there hot and wondering if there were roaches and bedbugs. I never saw any bugs, so that was the plus point along with the new manager being nice.

Maybe they will upgrade at the Econo Lodge Kinston, but right now it's filthy and in horrible disrepair.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before paying. We booked ahead, and we would not have stayed if we knew about thes...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had to go here because there was no other place near Camp Lejune that would allow pets on the dates we needed. And they charge you $50 per pet. It looks like an old run down Howard Johnsons. The rooms are not very well maintained, the pool has no water and the breakfast is a joke... I wouldn't even sit in the chair in our room, it was gross. The pillows were so flat, disappeared into the bed. The bathtub was chipping away, the carpet was disgusting...don't stay here if you can help it.

Room Tip: One with a keycard that worked, ours didn't, the manager had to be called everytime we had to ge...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have a son stationed out near here, we stayed here last year, june/2011 and it was okay. We went here may/2012 and i didn't know a place could downhill so fast. Don't let the pictures fool you, the pool is never filled, they got rid of the buffet that used to be there. Our room was moldy, and my daughter woke up with bites on both her arms. Not a clean room at all. We left and went to a different place. Also, not really feeling all that safe there after dark.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2012

First thing the clerk said when I checked in was that it's under new mgmt and is being renovated. The room was clean, freshly painted and clean towels and linens. No micro or coffee pot. Desk chair was filthy and carpet needs cleaning or replacing. i reported all to front desk when I checked out and the mgr wrote everything down that i spoke of. Internet connection was excellent. Best part of the stay...LOL...

Room Tip: wait a year before you try it
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ralph L
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The party started at midnight in all the rooms around us, loud music, cursing, fighting, yelling, etc. called the front desk over and over and did not get answer till 4 am and was told to just call the police. I left at 4:30 am and just drove 4 hours home so I could sleep. I have called and asked for the manager to call me to discuss the issue but so far he has not. the experience was so bad that I have called the corportate office to complain. I travel a lot for my job, and this was the worse!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank terry693
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This place is filthy, moldy and run down. There are exposed electrical wiries, holes in walls, cracked tiles in the bath, stains on carpet, smell of mildew and mold, beer cans lying around the grounds as well as piles of trash strewn about the grounds. There is a bicycle in the lobby next to the breakfast bar. It has the feel of a New Delhi slum. I'm still looking for the goat. I know there must be one tied up somewhere.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you accept it. Don't be afraid to demand another room when you find the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank mdhyre
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed here for a training session in Kinston. I've always had good experiences with EconoLodges before, so I chose this place..
The overall cleanliness isn't bad- everything seems pretty clean, no bed bugs or anything like that. The carpeting and upholstery is stained, but it looks old and stained from use- not necessarily "dirty" per se. It's kind of humid, though, making the tiles feel sticky and gross and some of the furniture was a bit gross and dusty upon arrival. The sheets seem pretty clean though and the maids have come daily to refresh the room. Tv is old, but adequate. Minifridge and microwave are clean. Location isn't bad and seems to be safe. Overall, not bad. Will do for a short stay.
I said that I wouldn't recommend it only because you could probably do better for the area. I just picked this one because it was the most economical in the situation.

• Stayed: August 2011