“Disappointed”

Chef and The Farmer
Ranked #1 of 77 Restaurants in Kinston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Herritage & Gordon
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our friends told us not to eat here, but I didn't believe them. Now I believe it. Good service, limited menu and not good quality food. No flexibility for any substitution. Will not be returning here on our next trip to Kingston.

6 Thank 98865

Greenville, NC
“Quite a find in Kinston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I decided to give the place a try as we were driving through Kinston coming back from the beach. I had read good reviews and I was not disappointed. Some of the complaints I've read here-- very noisy and A/C dripping with someone catching the drips-- were indeed true. Glad to know what the young lady was doing with that mop handle while folks were eating. But all that aside, it was a culinary delight, something I would expect in Raleigh or Durham, but not here. Yes, it was crowded and noisy but so are a lot of top restaurants. We tried the Angus Filet and Clam and Shrimp dish, both were superb. Bread and bread plates disappeared quickly but someone else appeared and brought us more bread (without plates). A few bugs to work out with wait staff but highly recommended, unusual menu and great bar service. Pricey for eastern NC, but you won't find many other places around this part of the state that could come close.

1 Thank bellar1
Oriental, North Carolina
“A little disappointed....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had heard all good things about this restaurant but came away disappointed. From front desk to the table was fine. Drink order and food order was prompt. After that it went south. We ordered a small plate to share and 2 small entrees. The small plate was delicious and came promptly. Our small entrees of shrimp and grits and figs and grits didn't arrive for another 45 minutes. The grits were soupy and not done. The waiter bringing our entree apologized but gave no explanation for the delay. Wine and drinks were fine and offered though out our wait making me think they were just pushing the booze. Dessert and coffee was delicious. It was also very loud to us (yes, I am older and slightly deaf) making a normal conversation impossible. Yes, I assume the restaurant is in a converted warehouse of some kind making acoustics very difficult. The overhead A/C ducting was sweating on some of the other patrons as it was a very hot and humid day in North Carolina. The staff had a sponge for removing the water. So, given everything, we probably won't return but glad we tried it anyway.

Visited August 2013
6 Thank Charles B
Cary, North Carolina
“A Must Destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

The location may be a bit of a surprise for a restaurant of this caliber, but if you enjoy fantastic food and service, this is a destination you must not miss. An appetizer of fried green tomato with goat cheese and blueberry compote-this menu is unique, the flavors stimulate the taste buds and the preparation is fabulous.

These folks know how to prepare food and run a quality restaurant while keeping that southern charm and hospitality throughout. By the way, the prices are extremely reasonable for high quality cuisine; the bar is engaging, the drinks well prepared- this is a MUST GO TO RESTAURANT!!

Make the trip, you won't regret it.

New York
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Despite having reservations and the place being empty we were seated in the corner by the bar - next to the waitstaff computer - not a very nice place for a date night. When I asked the waitress why we were given this table she say she did not know, but did not offer us another table - perhaps we should have requested one.

The shrimp entree was the hit of the meal; the grits with pimento cheese was the worst. The ginger sauce on the peaches was too strong ( and I love ginger). It overwhelmed ther taste of peaches and ham. I'm not sure the melted goat cheese added to the dish. The pizza was OK- nothing special.

We will go back, hopefully to a better seating and will stick with the shrimp.

• Visited July 2013