“A terrific place with over the top service.”

Chef and The Farmer
Ranked #1 of 83 Restaurants in Kinston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Herritage & Gordon
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We went there for a business dinner and the service was terrific. Our servers were all terrific. The food quality was excellent. Dessert was incredible. Atmosphere was good as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Pros: great bartenders, great waitstaff, beautiful interior, wonderful desserts.

Cons: hard seating, in winter the dishes suffer because of their farm to table philosophy- must collards or turnips be in every dish?
A bit over- priced.

Overall: good experience, if you dine in summer.

2  Thank ThomasMerton
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I grew up in Kinston, and like most went, off to college and never moved back. But when I do return to visit my parents and grandparents I always complained that there was not a "nice""upscale place in K-Town to enjoy a great meal or an adult beverage in a sophisticated environment. Well Chef and the Farmer has fulfilled my hopes. Great food, great drinks, great service. The first time I went was for a banquet so I didn't get the full restaurant experience but the food and service was still superb. The next time was just for drinks and appetizers and the service was once again superb. The bartenders were friendly and knowledgeable. Will make this a constant trip every time I come to Kinston. And like a previous reviewer stated "Big City Quality in Eastern NC? Love it..

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've traveled quite a bit, lived in NYC and Atlanta, and had a number of really great dining experiences over the years. On this occasion, my husband and I traveled to Kinston specifically to dine at Chef & The Farmer. We had heard the great feedback and reviews and decided to make a special trip.

To say it was great food would be an understatement! The environment was lovely, the service was very good, but the food was just incredible. Vivian Howard has this special gift - pairing just the right flavors and creating a balance that is just fantastic... My husband and I shared a number of starters before getting to our entrees, and we were stuffed by dessert! The pork belly and tuna tar tar with sweet potato chips (2 separate apps) were amazing. I'm also a sucker for a good beet salad, and although many have the goat cheese pairing, hers was this perfect combination of pickled ginger beets with goat cheese, hazelnuts, cilantro, and a hint of fresh mint.

Everything was fantastic, including the strawberry cobbler, but what set this meal apart from many (for me) was the incredible desire to go back so soon!! The very next day, I found myself plotting and mapping when and how I could make my next trip to K-town. It's not an easy place to get to... Being an hour and a half from Raleigh, most have to plan to go and stay overnight; but combine it with a plan to visit and tour Mother Earth's craft beer brewery and hang out at the little music joint around the corner after dinner, and it's a great little overnight trip, or a great plan to integrate on your way to the beach! That said, you must make reservations. The word is out (and has been out), and they are packed most nights.

The bottom-line... So worthwhile - I might even say necessary - if food is your thing!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I lived an hour away and had heard so many wonderful comments but my experience was not the best. The appetizer was excellent but the rest was average and expensive for what it was. Will try again.

4  Thank gshore