“Housekeeping needs improvement...”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kinston
usa
“Housekeeping needs improvement...”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed here for two nights while attending a friend's wedding. Due to our status with Priority Club were upgraded to a 'suite,' which was nice, and the bed was comfortable, but the housekeeping left a great deal to be desired. We requested and received two extra pillows, and pulled a third from the closet, and the room was fine for our first night. The free internet worked well--and wasn't password protected.

The following day, we returned at 2pm. The bed had been made, but all extra pillows had been removed from the room. The bathroom had been cleaned, but ALL but one of the towels had been removed...and not replaced. The floor had not been vacuumed and most surfaces had clearly not been dusted. (When you can draw little faces in the dust that's a pretty good clue.) I asked a housekeeper in the halls about the towels, and in her limited english she said 'later.' She didn't know the word 'vacuum,' but I pantomimed and she also said 'despues.' I inquired at the front desk, and was told 'the towels are being washed and will be replaced later.'

A hotel of this size doesn't have enough towels to replace them while others are being washed? I asked if there was a problem and explained to the desk we were hoping to have a shower and a nap and was told in this case towels would be arriving momentarily, which they did, along with the pillows...still, it seems a very odd way to do housekeeping. The room never was vacuumed, but to be fair we had the 'Do Not Disturb' sign up while we were napping/showering.

I mentioned this upon checkout, and the desk clerk made a note of it. Not sure what I was expecting, but perhaps--due to the sign in the bathroom that read 'If any part of your stay isn't to your satisfaction, you won't have to pay for that part of your stay' I thought she'd offer some extra points or something.

I suspect a LOT of people who stay in this hotel try to get something for nothing, it wasn't a terribly sophisticated crowd. There's a sign in the bathroom listing prices for the iron and the sheets(!), so I'm guessing theft is a big problem here. We didn't bother with the breakfast either day, although it seemed very (too?) well attended. The cookies and the fruit by the front desk during the day was a nice touch.

Given the hotel options in this town, this is probably one of the better ones, so I'll click 'yes' to whether I'd recommend the hotel...although if I find myself in Kinston again, I'll try the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2010

When I do business in Kinston, North Carolina, it is a no-brainer where to stay........the Holiday Inn Express. I have stayed at this hotel for three years every time I am in town. I love love love the following:

great service-friendly smiling staff always
great breakfasts hot or cold - killed my diet eating wayyyyyy too much food
great wide screen tv's and remotes in the rooms- HBO and loads of cable stations
great rooms that have solid walls. I didn't have to worry about the guy next door snoring
great wireless signal- able to work in my room at night
GREAT GREAT GREAT BEDS. SUPER SOFT WITH AWESOME PILLOWS.

6 GREATS = A GREAT HOTEL TO STAY AT. I CAN'T WAIT TO COME BACK :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stay at this establishment 4 times a year, every year. I had little issues the first year but staff worked diligently to accomodate me and to resolve the issues we were encountering. My reservations were lost a couple of times but again staff (Mamie) was wonderful in resolving the problems. The past 3 years have been excellent and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. My room has ALWAYS been clean and ready for occupancy. Staff greets their guests and strive very hard to meet the needs of the guest in a courteous and timely manner. The breakfast bar is always very good, clean and hot.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 23, 2010

To start we asked for non smoking rooms that were adjoining, one king and 2 queens. We were assigned smoking rooms and they didn't have any adjoining rooms available for us when we arrived. We had our 2 kids along so this was not desirable but we settled for 2 queen rooms beside one another. They charged us 2 different rates for the same room at first but we resolved that before we left. The room was not very clean, the bathroom floors were dirty and stained. The pool hours were posted in the room directory as 10a-10p, the pool area sign stated 9a-9a on one sign and 10a-9p on another sign. We went to swim at 8:15p and it was locked. The desk person unlocked it for us and told us the manager said it closed at 9p. The breakfast was good and the location is close to many resturants. No my favorite Holiday Inn, but I don't think there is much better in this little town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
VA
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I left the previous review titled "Not so great" when I stayed here a few week prior to this stay. After I arrived back home from my previous stay (and after I wrote the review) I got a call from the manager (Mamie) who said she had been off work a couple days, had just got back and heard of my problems there. She wanted to hear from me what the problems were, which I told her. She apologized and asked if I would give her another chance with a complimentary stay. I told her I would think about it. I had an appt. in Hickory (4 hrs away) on the 29th so I decided to drive back to this hotel and stay and drive over to Hickory from there. This 2nd stay was 100% better. No problems in the room, staff was great and again - the breakfast bar was awesome.
I was very impressed with the fact that the manager went out of her way to call me personally and then take steps to make up for our previous stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Judy-o877
Jacksonville, NC
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I stayed at this hotel last week on a business trip, and although my trip was rushed and stressful (as most traveling is) staying at this hotel with such friendly and helpful staff really made my trip more tolerable. My room was very clean and I found it a nice place to relax and unwind, and with Wal-Mart right across the street and dining within walking distance, it made for an all around fantastic stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Pinehurst, NC
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My room was semi-clean...old shampoo bottles still in the shower. Breakfast was scheduled at 6:30 am. Didn't. Colleagues milk for their cereal was curdled! NO hot water for oatmeal or hot tea. Desk clerks could care less about customer service. We moved to the Hampton Inn which proved to be very clean with fresh milk! We (colleagues) will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinston
Hampton Inn Kinston
Hampton Inn Goldsboro
Hampton Inn Goldsboro
#1 of 11 in Goldsboro
Best Western Plus Goldsboro

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kinston? Share your experiences!