“Great Stop on Our Vacation”

Hampton Inn Kinston
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kinston
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here one night on our way back from the beach. The hotel has some age on it, but the interior has been updated. Inside hallways are always a plus, and the rooms are clean and have comfortable beds.

We loved the breakfast, which includes pastry items and cereal, as well as waffles, eggs, and sausage.

We didn't get to use the pool or the fitness center. The WifI was fast. We had no problems while staying here.

The attendant who checked us in was very friendly.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room.
3  Thank Possum_Slayer

Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel. It is very clean, quiet and well located right on Hwy 258. We have stayed at Hamptons before and like their ameneties - great hot breakfast with eggs, bacon or sausage, fruit, waffles, etc. The beds are very nice deep pillow top only they are trying to use their old shallow pocket sheets. As a result, several times a night you have to get up and remake the bed because the bottom sheet and mattress cover won't stay on and end up in a ball under the occupants. We are not restless sleepers, it's just that the sheets are too small. The bathroom is lovely with granite counters but they are very small. If you want to close the door, you have to wiggle between the sink and the toilet. It is definitely a one person bath room - no such thing as one person using the sink and one person using the toilet. On the positive side, the staff is very friendly and pleasant. We would stay here again.

1  Thank Marysk
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed here late June 2011. Booked the room on Hilton points - this is one of the VERY few left in the lousy Hilton reward system that gives you a room for just 7500 points/night. Well spent, I say!

For a Hampton, this place is quite large - has an indoor pool and the best Hampton breakfast I have ever seen - and I use Hamptons in NJ, PA, VA, and NC quite often! They had a very competent breakfast staff, and had boiled eggs, fruits (oranges, even!), omelets, and much more available. Staff in general were pleasant and courteous; check-in/checkout seamless.

I have seen other recent reviewers complaining about the beds and the rooms being outdated. this was definitely NOT my experience! I say stay here if are in the area or need a roughly halfway stop between Myrtle Beach and DC/PA/NJ - you won't go wrong! And you will see the biggest tobacco fields in the mid-Atlantic, btw - all going to supply China, no doubt!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank beetle64
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was at his hotel the 22nd, checking out on the 24th of july, i picked this hotel based off its name and reputation.The holiday inn was very pricey and the other hotels in town look more like roach motels, but upon entering the Hampton Inn i felt very comfortable, but after getting into my room i could tell off the back how aged this hotel is. I also decided on this hotel based on the comfort of their beds but along with the aging of the hotel itself, so was the bedding. Both nights while i was asleep i had to get up in the middle of the night and replace the fitted sheet which continue to come off and expose the mattress. The final straw for me was seeing roaches in the Bathroom and around the computer desk which was a bit shocking. Also the employees here have a cat that they feed, and he hangs around the front door at night. This isnt a problem for most but it was for me because my kid is afraid of cats, and he doesnt move or run off when you approach him. So to sum it up, if things arent changed at this location on my next visit to kinston i believe i will spend the extra $11.00 per night to stay in the newer holiday inn at a pricey $130.00 per night.

Room Tip: As a none smoker the only double bed room was a smoking room. I thought i could handle the smell,but...
2  Thank jwilljr
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. The employees were very pleasant and the free breakfast was good. I agree with a previous poster that compared to other Hampton Inns, this one is a little outdated (the beds, for example, were small and old), but it's not a dealbreaker. Kinston is a small town in the middle of farm country, so this is a no-frills area. We were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank vlmiller
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I am a diamond Hilton member and work in this town and have to stay in hotels for about 12 nights per month. The hotel is aged compared to prior Hampton Inn's I have frequented in New Bern, Charlotte, Morehead City, etc. No flat screen TV's. If given the choice , I drive the extra 30 minutes and motor up to Greenville and stay in that Hampton Inn. It is a little more expensive, but the quality of the hotel AND the service personnel is a step above

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I'm a Diamond so you can trust this review.

This Hampton Inn is an older property that has had some upgrades with a large lobby and nice fitness room. That said the rooms are a in need of an upgrade. I had the two double bed room which didn't even have a desk. There are other things in the room that have been poorly done like the shower is very low. You must be 5 feet tall for the shower head to spray on top of you. There was a rod in the shower stall that was glued in with some king of epoxy which looked nasty. Also the TV is an older style and the box spring mattress was showing a lot of age when I checked it out.

The staff was nice as was the breakfast and fitness room plus the lobby is nice almost like a Doubletree.

If this Hampton Inn would fix their guest rooms up a bit this would be a nice location but I would not suggest it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinston
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kinston
#1 of 12 in Goldsboro
Americas Best Value Inn - Kinston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Goldsboro
Mother Earth Motor Lodge

Been to Hampton Inn Kinston? Share your experiences!