“Triumphant hike to the top!”

Crowders Mountain State Park
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I went to Crowders Mountain on a date. There were two trails to choose from that led to most of the same look outs. We are both athletes, so we chose the more strenuous trail. This was a really good work out and allowed plenty of time for small talk and even a few deep conversations.
Once I reached the op i wanted to set up a tent with a bookshelf and never leave. It is breath taking and the opportunity for epic photography is endless on the lookouts. I plan to go back very soon because it was raining the first time and the trip was cut short. Absolutely loved it.

1  Thank Michelle N

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We came here to do some hiking with our young sun. We were told that there are only 2 trails accessible for a stroller: ‘Fern trail’ and ‘Lake trail’. We did both. I have to say they are very nice but that they are only 95% accessible for a stroller. If you travel with babies you probably know that anything below 100% is sometimes impossible. In our case we had no problem – we were two people and we just lifted the stroller above the steps or the rocks. However if you come alone or if one of you is incapable of lifting the stroller+ baby you will have to turn back.
Regardless of what we were told we did 2 more trails: ‘Turnback trail’ and ‘Pinnacle trail’ (ending at the Kings Pinnacle). We were told it is impossible with a stroller and I have to say they were close to being right. ‘Turnback trail’ is not too bad and you can do it with a good hiking stroller + some pushing. The ‘Pinnacle trail’ is much harder. I had to push and maneuver the stroller quite a bit - but it is possible just very hard (our son loved it). The last 300 yards are basically impossible and we just carried the baby +stroller for most of the way. The last 10 yards is climbing a rock so we just left the stroller and climbed to the top. The view is beautiful.

2  Thank adventix
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although I am from Gastonia, I have never hiked this mountain, in fact, I have done very little hiking. I am runner, running about 3 miles, 3 days a week, and this was a tough hike. We had little time, so we took the back trail up and down. About an hour from start to finish and we spent about 15-20 mins at the top. It was a work out going up the steep trail and then to the steps, but I loved it and will go again. Enjoy!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have been here twice before and every time try and do something different. This time we did the Crowders mountain (usually we do Kings then hurry to do Crowders) and took the Rock top trail.
First let me point out to follow the signs on this trail. The reason I say that is if you don't you doing get the full benefit of where the trail first gets to the peak. We almost stayed on what looked like the trail up the mountain but when I saw the red markers I told my husband to actually get over to them. It takes you directly up this mountain to the top where the rocks are and then you are following the ridge all the way to the towers. I have never taken this trail before, the first time we took the Linwood access point tower trail (which is really a tower access road) and is the most direct because we were pressed for time. On the Rock top trail you still have to take a little bit of the tower trail right before reaching the peak. I think most people do this trail coming from the peak on the way back to the park/visitor's center, but the nice thing about doing it "backwards" is we didn't have to climb up the 300+ steps, we got to go down them. But don't be fooled Rock top is not an easy trail. I was huffing and puffing and sweating quite a bit and I am in pretty decent shape (hiking poles were particularly helpful on this trail too).
This is a popular park with locals, I think, I have never seen so many people hiking with their dogs at any park I've been too (they were all on leashes). So nice to see people including their pets.
We went on a Sunday Morning and got there at about 9:45 and there were quite a few cars in the parking lot. When we got back to our car around noon the parking lot had a lot more cars! This is a nice park to get out for the morning and get your heart beating, and there really appears to be a lot of people that go there just for that reason.

1  Thank Valerie D
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Absolutely love this park, can't believe it's the first time we've ever been since it's so close to home. Great hiking trails for all levels - spectacular views. The lake is not very large but the canoe rental is a bargain.