“Disgusting.”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Baltimore, Maryland
“Disgusting.”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

The first room that we were given was so dirty I was sick to my stomach. They had not vacuumed or cleaned the food off of the table and nightstand. There was wood dust on the floor from the casing around the refrigerator and black mold on the ceilings and walls. We went to the front desk, I was ready to leave and find another hotel but my better half decided to ask them for a second room. This room was slightly better, mostly clean surfaces, fairly vacuumed, and towels in the bathroom. However the towels were stained and hair was all over the bathroom. A gorgeous view though. Maybe after they renovate the place it will be decent, but surely the price will sky rocket.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MDannabel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Maryland
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed here over the Labor Day weekend, right after Earl blew through. As we came with our dog, we were limited to staying on the first floor, which offered no view, but I knew that when I made the reservation, so not a big deal. The bathroom looked to have been recently renovated and the beds were comfy enough. However, the first night our air conditioner quit working. We reported it first thing in the morning and a service man repaired it that day while we were out. They also took off one night's stay, which was very generous. The room did smell a bit like a wet dog, but it was a pet room, so we bought some Febreze and sprayed it down. There was also dampness on the carpet as a result of the rain blowing in from Earl. A bit humid and stuffy, but it is right on the ocean.

The breakfast was typical, but satisfactory. Regarding the front desk, I found when I had called I always spoke to pleasant staff members, but I didn't notice that the staff was very friendly when we came in and out of the property. However, they were prompt with dealing with the air conditioner issue, so no complaints.

We were unable to obtain any reception for our iPhone or internet in the room, more than likely as a result of being on the lower floor.

Overall, our stay was pleasant enough for the time we spent in the room, however, it is still a bit pricey for what we got.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed here for one night luckily before our vacation home opened and what a nasty place. The carpet was ripping up from the floor in the lobby hallway. Our room smelled like mold terribly and I thought it was the carpet but unfortunately found out it was our beds which were wet and no other rooms were available of course. The bathroom was dirty and there was hair all over in there from the shower to the floor and walls. My daughter's Ipod was lost/stolen!?! We found clothes on the floor from a previous guest. I would not recommend this hotel and I actually felt dirty when I left and could not wait to take a shower anywhere!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank vactravel74

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The reviews from former travelers pretty much had this one nailed. I already knew what to expect. Chose this one because it was the cheapest price for an ocean front hotel with a pool that I could find. Front lobby looks renovated, but the rest of the hotel is worn down as are most ocean front hotels these days. Pool was dirty, but we spent most of the day there and it was doable. There are hardly any "Pool front" rooms, so expect that your view will be of the tar roof of the front lobby and nothing special. Couldn't get out on the balcony because the door was jammed and couldn't see the pool at all, even though that was description of the room, but I didn't want to splurge for an ocean front room for another $50/night. Saw roaches near the lobby and work out room. Only one piece of equipment works in the workout room. They have the room full, but with a closer look you'll see that the treadmill won't start and the free weight machine has all of the cables cut. Teen step son liked the free continental breakfast, and free coffee all day was nice. Good location on the beach and near shopping. Don't expect a friendly welcome from the front desk. Not once did they say hello when we came through the lobby, hardly even looked up at us. Went to Awful Arthurs for dinner and it wasn't worth the wait. We were told 15 min and waited 1 1/2 hrs. My crab cake was canned crab meat and smelled like tunafish. Not what I expected for OBX. I would try another restaurant for sure next time. This place is okay for folks on a budget, staying for just a few days, but I will try a different place next time.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank travel4fun18
east coast, USA
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We just lived our stay at comfort inn. The location was perfect. Everett at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and great pool. We will always stay here.

• Stayed August 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This hotel has a great staff and location. The room was a typical hotel room, but not bad as other reviews stated. I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival! The dune view rooms (on 1st floor) have a great view and ours was very comfortable. Hotel and pool were both clean. I would stay here again. Hotel did have a beachy smell, but it's literally on the ocean- it should smell like it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2010

3 stars for cost vs. accommodations.
Shopped this area pretty good and found this to be one of the more inexpensive 'chain' properties. Property was lackluster, but afforded a good pool, beach location & central location for our excursions.
Wifi was un-dependable and had to work in the lobby to get a good signal.
If you also find this location to be one of the more inexpensive in the area, would stay here again. Not worth a ‘premium’ price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!