“Great hotel for OBX Marathon”

Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Very friendly staff, ideal location, decent breakfast. Only complaint was odd ramps up to elevator. Dog friendly hotel and personnel. Everyone at the front desk was helpful and friendly. Could easily walk to the start of the .5 Marathon and they had heavy carb dinner the night before. Easy access to the ocean and all the beauty that is the ocean front.

Room Tip: Easy location for .5 Marathon
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn On The Ocean

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our first trip to the Outer Banks and we were impressed to find a quality hotel that we could afford right on the ocean.
The staff members were very friendly, the rooms very clean, the lobby and hallways were very clean and the beach front was well maintained.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are ideal but even the rooms facing the street have nice little patios
1  Thank hillary g
vamit241, Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about our
hotel. I know many people read reviews and take a cue
from guests like you.
I am glad you had an overall good experience at our hotel and the attention you got from our staff members. We strive to make Comfort Inn, Kill Devil Hills to be your first choice by providing outstanding service and making you feel 'at home' away from home.
Thank you and see you during your next visit,

Amit

Reviewed November 7, 2012

At check-in, we were given key cards to an already occupied room! I was visiting my brother, who checked this hotel days before my wife and I arrived, also saw this happen and was told at the front desk that they "were having a bad day." Knowing this, I left the "Do Not Disturb" tag on my door our entire 4 days, just changing our towels midway through. NOT the way we wanted our stay to go. I discussed this with the front desk attendant the morning we left, but she claimed to be unaware of a problem. Other security problems - our balcony door was missing its deadbolt, and the exercise room door, supposedly needing a room key to open, was never locked.

PROS - Good breakfast, GREAT bacon. Exercise room was well kept, with a TV, treadmill, and stair machine. I would have preferred a recumbent bike. Also a universal machine for leg exercises only.

CONS - SECURITY. Also, 2 sets of stairs or steep ramps just to get to elevators or any rooms. A sign says that staff only should handle luggage carts, and NO tipping.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd or 4th floors to see the ocean well over the dune. We were given a 3rd floor...
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Front desk attendant very friendly, fast check in & check out, hotel needs updates such as better elevator, but it has everything you need and more! Breakfast was excellent, our room was clean, comfy and quiet. This is a dog friendly hotel, so we heard furry friends all over, but hotel did not smell like animals. Love the deck out to the beach with nice seating, hotel also has dinner available to purchase and menu looked very nice. Easy access to many shopping places and attractions. I would stay there again because it has everything you need and beach access with a pool, kiddy pool and hot tub (we were there off season, so they were closed, but looked nice!). We will return!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from animal friendly rooms. Check your price against what you were billed for...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Natisha M
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were looking for one last weekend at the beach before the cold weather hits. We decided on the Comfort Inn on the beach in Kill Devil Hills (Outer Banks of North Carolina). The Outer Banks are mostly known for beach house rental, unlike most beach resorts. It is not the place to go for a luxury hotel - most of the ones there are pretty plain. We were delightfully surprised that this one is a cut above. The staff was friendly and helpful - always ready to open a door or help in other ways.

The room was clean and well furnished. Our room was on the first floor with a door opening to a patio which leads to the beach. There is a nice deck area perfect for watching the sunrise, or relaxing in the evening. Their is also a pool and hot tub. They offer a free continental breakfast.

The location is convenient to restaurants, convenience stores and shopping. Millers restaurant, right across the street is a great place for breakfast or for seafood.

Room Tip: We chose the first floor for convenience going back and forth to the beach. The downside is that the...
1  Thank 1Chuckh
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel for work related events. I ended up in a room with an ocean view on the first floor. I really enjoyed being so the close to ocean though I could not see it at ground level. Still I had a nice view of the dunes that separate the hotel from the ocean. I was also pleased with the level of privacy and easy access to the ocean. The pool was open but it was just to cool (October) to swim. The breakfast is substantive with scrambled eggs, bacon and grits and beats the standard continental that you find in nearby hotels. I live in NC and average 2 -4 trips/ year to the Outer Banks and I really enjoyed my stay. I have stayed in just about all the hotels in the area and this hotel is one of the better ones. Last year stayed at the Hilton but that was not an option with employer fitting the bill. Comfort Inn was fair with its government rates of around 70 bucks a night. I am going back to the Outer Banks in November for vacation and skipping the Hilton (pricy and no breakfast) this time around to save some cash. I am more than willing to front the approximate 120/night off season rates to stay at the Comfort Inn this time around. I have actually requested the same room and look forward to those warm breakfast treats to start my kayaking adventures.. This is a pet friendly hotel and it is nice to see the dogs when I am missing mine. The staff are more than helpful and accommodating. Going to the ocean front section, there are two ramps/adjacent to steps that one may have difficulty with but the staff is helpful in this regard upon request also. It says alot when you are feel like you are on vacation when working (but I love my job too). If you are on a budget and want practicality with flair, consider this hotel. It is not a new place and it does not come with all the bells and whistles. It does provide a clean room, comfortable bed and ocean view for those who elect such.
If you do not care for the ocean and just need the room and lower rates, there are rooms that face the road but still provide the cleanliness. In some of the rooms, there is a musty odor that arises from the heating/ac console but this is a normal thing in many of the hotels along the Outer Banks ( has something to do with the humidity).
Worth checking out.

Room Tip: Go during the off season and double your pleasure and value. The people who live along the Outer Ba...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mary S
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had such a nice time staying here. The room was nicely appointed, though small. It was wonderful to look out onto the beach and be steps away from the water! The people working there were helpful and nice. Specifically I remember Jennifer and Sheena. I would love to return.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean side...it's worth the money, but you can't see the beach from the lowest floor...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!