“Worst possibl place to have a worry free vacation!!!!”

Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The toilet leaked urine all over the floor after the first use. They gladly moved us from room 204 to 210. I overlooked that, considering the rust and mold all over, knowing I had came to OBX a day early and only had to stay one night before going to my usual, the very nice Surf Side Hotel. I then proceeded to iron my WHITE cargo shorts, as a black, hard, nasty, oily substance came out of the iron, and ruined my brand new A&F shorts. I then complained to the front desk, and as I was making my case to the shift manager, two employees threatened me, my wife, and three kids! I call 911 to prevent myself from being assaulted in the parking lot, as the two employees had said they would do. Please feel free to check the public 911 records for the afternoon of July 15, 2012... This IS a true story. There were 3 county officers that did show up. I was told that I was free to leave and that they would handle it from there. This is a trashy, redneck motel, and is great for those who don't care about being clean, nice, or professional!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Cwdonahoe76

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Pros: friendly staff, good free breakfast, pool & kiddie pool, room service doesn't cost much, it is right next to a city lifeguard stand, umbrellas and chairs for rent right outside the hotel, convenient location at milepost 9.5. Cons: the building is worn out, the balconies and stairwells badly need painting, rooms are small, water from a rain shower leaked into our room from the balcony, only restaurant option in the hotel is to sit at the bar and eat, the breakfast area is cramped and has no windows. The other "con" is very hard to explain. To go from the lobby to the elevator, you have to either go up some stairs or go up an extremely steep slope; bottom line is that I can't imagine it is ADA compliant, and it's a hassle to get a luggage rack up and down. Summary: It was an okay deal given that it was tourist season and we had a room overlooking the beach. My 5-year-old daughter loved every bit of it and my husband was satisfied until he learned the price. As we were leaving, he asked, "So, was that room about $80 a night?" When I said "No, closer to $200" he said, "Oh, in that case that room was lousy."

Reviewed July 16, 2012

On the way home from a business trip to NC, we decided to make a stop at the beach for an overnight. Never having visited the Outer Banks before, I was anxious to check it out. Due to the last minute nature of the trip, this property was the only one with availability on Saturday night. I booked through hotels.com and reserved an Ocean Front room for $269 per night. When we arrived the first thing that I noticed was the trash littering the parking lot - food, drink containers, cigarette butts etc. I have to say that check in was easy and the woman at the front desk was really very nice and accommodating and even had a room available for us to get into earlier than the published check in time. We were on the first floor with a patio. Yes, the dune does obstruct some of the water view but you can see it and the view is very nice. The issue is that the patio and exterior of the hotel are filthy and run down. Our patio consisted of 2 dirty plastic chairs and a dirty cement floor. The window sills were covered in cigarette stains. The boardwalk area in front of the patio was littered with trash and cigarette butts. We noticed that the guests in the balcony rooms on the higher floors smoke outside and throw the butts over. Lovely. There was no way that we were sitting out there. The guests in the neighboring patio rooms had groups of friends visiting them so the area in front of our patio was full of people. We couldn't even leave the curtains open to enjoy the view from the room. We paid a premium for this room and could not even enjoy the benefit.
The room itself appeared to be recently renovated but things like light switches, door knobs, outlets and even the cord for the hair dryer were all pretty grimy. One of the beds had stained (but clean) sheets. No excuse for this type of thing, it's just a lack of attention to detail. When you are charging $300 per night, you better provide a good product. The giant spider in the bathroom in the morning, the screaming kids running through the halls and the whining dog in the room next door were annoying, but excusable. I'm not opposed to the funky beach motel and was not even opposed to the high price, but at least keep it clean.

Room Tip: Go for a room on an upper floor facing the ocean
1  Thank A A
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Inn for eight nights over the 4th of July holiday, and I must say I was pleased. The lobby area was recently upgraded, and looks great it is attached to the breakfast area which is always loaded with great choices. The staff works hard throughout breakfast to replace everything and ensure that each station is fully stocked including eggs, bacon, and sausage every morning, along with waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereal, and pasteries. I have never stayed at a hotel and I have stayed at some very nice hotels with a staff as friendly, hard working, and helpful as the staff at this comfort inn. The elevator is slow, but if you don't need it the stairs are easy to take, I only used it when I was with my Mother or when I was carrying the beach supplies down for the day. We stayed on a room with an Ocean View, only complaint about the balcony is if the airconditioner was on the balcony got hot and it was loud when it was running, (I would suggest turning it off at night while you are sitting on your balcony, or save some money and just go down and use the beautiful deck they have overlooking the ocean. In the rooms you have the basics including a microwave and fridge, only improvement needed in the rooms are new matresses, but I am sure that will be coming as they continue to renovate. The bathroom is not fancy but does the job, and it was always clean, again the staff works really hard to keep everything clean with all of the people tracking sand in from the beach all day. If you dont have beach supplies they have a guy working (Zack) who will rent you chairs, umbrellas and some beach toys like boogie boards, and kyack. The pool was nice, I did not use the hot tub so I cannot comment on that. With the continued upgrades including a new elevator in the fall I would definitely return to this hotel, keep up the great work.

3  Thank SuzannefromDE
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The comfort Inn was conveniently located right on the ocean. The employees were very friendly and ready to help with anything we needed. It was also very clean. I would recommend the Comfort Inn on the Ocean to my family and friends!!!! Two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank debra e
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We were a little hesitant to stay here based on previous reviews about the condition of the hotel, but figured we'd give it a shot anyway since it was likely renovations would be complete before our stay. Seems most of the hotel has been renovated after last year's hurricane and we found the common areas to be quite nice. Our room was clean and comfortable. Hot breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage, pancakes and pastries was really good and saved us some money. Hotel is right on the beach and also walking distance to many great restaurants (Crabby Fries 1/2 mile North is amazing and American Pie across the street from the hotel has really good homemade ice cream). Staff was very friendly. Some reviews complain about the ramp to the elevator. There is a sign insisting guests let hotel staff manuever the ramp with luggage rather than struggle with it themselves. We saw several guests attempt it themselves and then get angry when things tipped over. Can't complain if you choose to do something that the staff would have been willing to take care of for you. We didn't find the ramp to be an issue. I'm giving it 4 stars only because the internet was down for most of our stay, as was the hot tub. A guest below us also had 2 very loud dogs that barked non-stop for the 6 days we were there. Very annoying. But that is more the fault of bad pet parents than of the hotel. If you don't want to chance listening to a Beagle and Jack Russel howl throughout your visit, request a room on the 3rd or 4th floors. We stayed on the 2nd floor (great view, by the way) so had to listen to 1st floor pets. Overall, we had a good experience and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor or higher for good ocean view. 1st floor view is blocked by the dunes.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank aldworth6306
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We are currently staying over a four day period and really felt that we should review the hotel. The rooms are large and although with some age, are very clean. They provided extra towels without asking, which is great for a beach stay. Our room service person, Reyna was great. She came in and left everything very clean and neat. Look forward to returning to hotel.

Room Tip: Select ocean side and call ahead to ask for upper level
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank RafaelGnz
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am extremely excited that my staff worked hard to make your stay enjoyable and thank you for spreading the word about our beautiful hotel here in Outer Banks.
I cannot agree with you more that Comfort Inn, Kill Devill Hills is by far ideally located and has excellent staff to make it happen.
Please come back, we love having you here, you make our day, every day..!

Amit

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!