“Not as bad as reviews make out to be”

Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Not as bad as reviews make out to be”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights (left early due to immense amount of rain) and overall the room was not bad - when we first arrived it had a musty smell, but once we cranked the a/c it was fine. The door to the balcony leaked into the room at the bottom so the carpet was wet (it rained hard almost non-stop our entire stay). Mattress was VERY firm, pillows comfy though. We were on the 4th floor, oceanfront, and the view (had it not been raining) would have been fantastic! We didn't get to use the pool or hot tub, and chose not to eat breakfast there. Jolly Roger has great eggs benedict, and Miller's omlets are super-sized yummy.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is a must, stay on a high floor though or you'll be looking at the dune.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed one night in Sept. The hotel is in bad need of a makeover. The wallpaper in our room was peeling. To get in the room it took the force from our shoulders to open the door. The bath mat to step on when you get out of the shower was worn completely out. It had places on it that were sure to become a hole at any time. The bottom of the tub was worn out. I would like to think it was clean. It was so worn from many scrubbings you could not tell. We refused to shower in it. The location is great. Beautiful ocean views from the deck out back. The only dealings we had with employees was checking in and out. Frontdesk lady was pleasant.

Hartwick, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was a little worried about this hotel after reading all the negative reviews, especially about the steep ramp they had. Well, the ramp really is not that steep and the hotel personnel are all willing to help with your luggage to get to the elevators. We were there at the end of Hurricane Irene, so they were doing a lot of work on repairs. There was no air conditioning in the hallways or in the elevator (which actually is quite slow). My husband and I are used to staying at all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, so this was quite a change for us. All hotel personnel were very helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is a little old and needs repair (especially the balconies), but it is right on the beach and within driving distance to all restaurants. Actually, there is a restaurant across the stress which is very good. The major problem we had was that we were bored. Luckily, my husbnd brought his fishing gear and got to do some surf fishing with a lot of other men and women on the beach, but I did some shopping and not much else. I couldn't swim in the ocean because the waves were too big and the red flag was out for the first few days warning nobody to swim. The pool was very nice. I also am used to an adult place and there were many many children at this hotel (we waited until after Labor Day to go because we thought the children would be in school at that time, but we were wrong. Also, someone on Trip Advisor said dogs were only on the 1st floor, someone said they were on the 2nd floor, but when we were there, they were on all 4 floors. Some people would walk their dogs on the beach and not pick up after them. All in all, though, I would stay here again. The free breakfast is very good, but sometimes crowded and it ends at 9:30, so you have to get an early start. Get a map of the area from the front desk which will help you around the area.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony and ocean view. Very nice to see the sun rise and set...

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Lowfield Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We needed a pet friendly hotel and after stopping by a few motels and dealing with people at the front desks that had the personality of a pumpkin, we stopped here and that is when I met Jennifer. We loved her instantly. Great personality and helped us SO much with sights to see and things to do. I was totally surprised when I saw the room. It was an oceanfront room
with your own individual patio area. Absolutely beautiful and clean as it could be. I would go straight to this hotel again if I go back to the outer banks.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pam r
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We booked this hotel in Sep 2011 after hearing mixed reviews. Our main criteria was to be on ocean and hence chose this hotel. The first I got was that the hotel is dated. The main building (where the front desk is) looks renovated or newly built but the actual building with all accommodations is dated. Our check in was quick and the staff helped us take the luggage cart on the ramp to elevator. He also gave us a tip on closing the elevator doors faster. This was all the interaction we had with staff but overall everyone was good. The room was on top floor but it was old and little run down. For the money we paid, our biggest relief was the great oceanview from our room. The breakfast was ok but we ate out most days. Would recommend hotel if no other options are available.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ravi S
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This was by far the filthiest place I have ever stayed at and it still makes me cringe when I think of it. Nasty, gross and disgusting are just a few of the words that describe my experience. This property had no business renting out the ocean front rooms after Irene until they were properly cleaned and sanitized. When I first went into the room, I was overcome by the strong, excessive airfreshener they sprayed everywhere to disguise the mold and pet urine odors. I then discovered that the dead bolt lock on our door was broken and it was difficult to get it closed. The carpet was still damp (I assume from the Hurricane), and was laid right over cement which was exposed in some areas (no padding) and was bunched up, stained and so filthy that I wore flip flops the entire time I was in the room. There were pube hairs on the toilet seat, sand in the sheets (which means they didn't change them from the previous guests), and I could feel the coils in the mattress poking me all night.

I agree that the staff is friendly and the location is great, but I cannot believe that Comfort Inns keeps this property open. It is a health hazard. There were signs hanging up that stated it was going through a major renovation, but I did not see any of that, and the only excuse for that kind of filth is a lack of housekeeping and concern for their guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor ocean front rooms
2 Thank suan m
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Really helpful and nice staff help make it a nice place to stay. Really nice continental breakfast compared to similar hotels in the similar price range. We liked that the hotel had a bar and a restaurant in it. The ramp up to the elevator and the 1st floor rooms is a little awkward but you could take the steps beside it and if you have a cart to pull - there is a person on duty that will take care of it for you even without you asking for help. The elevator doors are very slow to close - the trick is to hold down the button of your destination floor until the doors close - and that solves the problem (that's per instructions of one of the hotel employees - it works)
The rooms were clean, the only problem we had was the slow drain in the tub and it got fixed soon after we reported it. There is a business center in the hotel for your conference/printing needs and a little gym for your workout.
Outdoor pool area is really nice and the pool was nice and clean. Pool has a deep end, and there is also a kiddie pool beside it.
All the rooms seemed to have balconys in them.
The linens in the hotel room were in great shape and towels were abundant. The TVs were outdated and the cable was going in and out (but that was due to the repairs being done to the lines after Irene)
The beach is right there without having to walk far. There was an ability to rent 2 beach chairs and an oversized umbrella for $10/a day (till 5 pm) which didn't seem like a bad deal.

Overall - we'd stay here again :)

Room Tip: Keep the destination floor button pressed in the elevator until the doors close and you'll spend...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!