“Good location, nice setup, could use updates"”

Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Coventry, CT
“Good location, nice setup, could use updates"”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I went on a trip down to the Outer Banks with my mom, aunt and cousin to explore the future area for my wedding. We had a balcony with a great view and the room was adequate space. We had very comfortable beds and bedding, and a nice bathroom. The water in the shower didn't drain well but we didn't complain. The only problem was all the water and ashes and mess on the balcony from the AC unit, but we asked for towels and they were very accommodating in getting them for us right away. One chair on the balcony was broken, and they didn't have any to replace it with. The breakfast was great, hot eggs and bacon along with continental. Pool was very nice and we didn't get a chance to use hot tub, we were out every night. But it was nice and service was friendly. It was a very affordable option in the area, and one of the only with hot breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Stanley, Virginia
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The staff was very friendly from the moment we walked in. We had an issue with our air conditioning unit the day we arrived, and within minutes of informing someone the maintenance staff was fixing the problem. Great continental breakfast. Food would've been $6-$8 a plate in a restaurant. Clean rooms. A little dated, but all in all nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We could not get a King bed so we reserved a room with Queen bed. But that Queen bed was more like Twin/Double bed and it was smaller than Queen. Then whole furniture placement in the room was so inefficient that there were not many outlets for charging your laptop/cells and cameras. They have placed that bed in a corner next to bathroom wall. Most of electrical outlets were well behind the bed so they could not be used. Then they had a small table without a chair.
Tv was ordinary and cable was not even clear. Patio door would not open, bathroom was small and towels were rough.

Good thing is that its right on the ocean. And everything is close by. And don`t even talk about their Elevator which is legendary in being the slowest on East coast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

OBX
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We orignally were staying at the John Yancey Inn. Due to their total lack of respect and conecern for their guests, unclean rooms and smelly rooms, horrible owner and overall poor customer servcie, we decided to check out of that fleabag motel and check into the Comfort Inn down the street.

Checking into the Comfort Inn was like checking into the the Taj Mahal compared to the John Yancey. Their staff was friendly and so helpful. They actually seemed happy we were there and tried their best to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The rooms were very clean and did not smell at all. I was not afraid to put my bare feet on the foor in the room anywhere, unlike the John Yancey Inn. The beds were so comfortable and my back felt great after sleeping in it, unlike the John Yancey which hurt my back terribly. Everyone we encountered there seemed happy. The breakfast bar was fabulous and I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a stress free relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Book directly with the Comfort Inn. DO NOT use hotels.com. They are scammers and rip off artists!
1 Thank Amy B
Shenandoah Valley
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Peoples comments on here literally had me FREAKING out, to the point where I flat out called the hotel and asked if these reviews were true in anyway because if so I was going to show myself when I got there if not told the truth. Front desk is friendly, helpful, and polite! I am a choice hotel employee and I was VERY pleased with the rooms, cleanliness, and atmosphere! It is a BEACH for heavens sake!!! The carpets are not going to look BRAND new! For your information, a very nice man SHAMPOOS the carpets 3 nights a week at that hotel! Ummm, pretty sure ours isn't done but ONCE a year and given we are not at a beach, 3 nights a week is AWESOME! My parents room was nice and cool when we entered. Went into my room and the AC was def. NOT working properly. I headed down to the front desk where I passed a maintenance man who I told my problem to and he had me a NEW AC in the room within 20 minutes!!!!!!! I mean literally a brand new UNIT! Breakfast in the mornings was awesome! Honestly, the ONLY downfall I def. agreed with is the ramp that you have to go up with luggage cart in order to get to first floor and elevator. HOWEVER, people who complained left out the part that any employee working there who saw someone headed up the ramp would quickly run and help anyone that needed it! Also, the boys who sit at the bottom of the stairs off the deck who rent chairs and umbrellas etc were very helpful to an elderly man who needed help with a babies wagon, which was full of items to take onto the beach. The GM's office was located in the hallway where all guests pass by. The door was always open and he was very friendly. Spoke to my Dad just about every morning. This is not typical....believe me! I really think people should be cautious of the reviews put on this site, especially those recently. The GM said they have been changing, updating, and improving everything as much as they can, so relax, your at the beach, how dern long are you going to stay in the hotel room?

2 Thank Shannon P
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed August 13, 2011

On July 12 we stopped by to reserve an oceanfront room at this hotel by Thursday. During booking I realized that there was no sign that the hotel was pet free, so I asked the receptionist about their policy on this issue. Kyle, who did the booking, said that yes they allowed pets, but only on the first floor. We were willing to go ahead with the booking in case he made sure that we would get a room on the third or fourth floor (We are light sleepers and didn’t want to wake up to dogs’ barking in neighboring rooms.) He earnestly promised that we would get a room on the top floor (they had plenty of rooms available- he said), so we finalized the booking.

Thursday afternoon when we got to the hotel, in 5 minutes we found out the following:
1. They have no room for us on the top floor or on the third floor.
2. It does not matter on which floor we get a room because pets are allowed on every floor.
When we quoted Kyle’s repeated insistence that pets were allowed only on the first floor, the answer was: “true, that was our policy a few years ago”. Well, we didn’t book the room a few years ago but only two days ago and not via Internet or phone but in person, so the receptionist intentionally, deliberately misled us.

The clerk, a much senior and more serious person at the reception seeing how upset we were having met with these series of unfortunately “mistaken statements” or rather facts, offered us to call a few hotels to find room for us in a “no pets allowed” hotel, then we canceled our reservation and left.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meditationes
vamit241, Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
I appreciate your feedback on the issue you came across.
Let me assure yoiuthat it was a case of pure misunderstanding by Kyle of your needs and he assumed you did not want to stay on the floor where we have most pet friendly rooms, so he booked you on second floor without realising you did not want tostay at a hotel which aloows pets. You mentioned that you came tous after looking online, but we have clear mention that we are pet friendly.
However, we were very sincere in our efforts to provide you with room at another hotel not pet firendly.
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We came for a end of summer vacation before our children left for college. We realize there is not much of a hotel selection in the area and did quite a bit of research prior to selecting Comfort Inn on the Ocean. Because it was a three star hotel and you have no other choices above that, we made it our selection.
The good:
Direct ocean front with excellent view
Decent continental breakfast from eggs, bacon, cereal, muffins, bagels and more.
The bad:
Filthy rooms - we had two. We immediately requested a different room for our children as the rooms smelled badly of animal feces(at least we were hoping it was from an animal). The staff was accomodating and changed the room. The bathrooms were nasty - plastic tub was severly stained on the bottom (black/gray) we had no toilet paper so I had to walk to the front desk and ask for some. The ceilings were badly stained - not sure from what and I do not think I would want to know. When I went to plug in my laptop, I used the outlet behind the nightstand and was horrified by the amount of dust and dirt behind it. Our son's bed was wet. Our balcony door deadbolt was broken and they had a pitiful lock used as a replacement. You walked very fast through the halls as the smell and run down look scared you. I kept socks on my feet at all times as I refused to walk the floor/carpet in my bare feet. I draped towels over the chairs as they were also badly stained.
While I understand being right on the beach with the sand and salt air, this does not justify how filthy the hotel is. We stayed at a Ritz Carlton right on the ocean on Amelia Island and what a difference in cleanliness. The hotel received a cleaning rating of 96% which is posted in the lobby not sure how this happened because everywhere I looked was pure filth and run down. You should be ashamed of ourselves for not keeping the place clean. Obviously your definition of clean is different from mine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Maria020688
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!