“Too expensive for what it is”

Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
The World
“Too expensive for what it is”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed here only for one night as we were just passing through. Kill Devil Hills is a lovely place and I'd love to have the chance to spend more time here. Although if we did go back I'd look into staying longer and renting a house or something. Hotels are highly priced during peak season and I feel this hotel is way overpriced for what you get. I would expect to pay a premium due to the demand in the area but I think this hotel charges too much based on what you get. Having said that we managed to get a much better rate through hotels.com compared to what the hotel offered themselves. I heard one guest complaining about the price of the cheapest room and the price he mentioned was way above what we got. The hotel said they could come down slightly for him but it was no where near as good as the rate on hotels.com.

The rooms are ok if all you need is somewhere to sleep - lets face it you don't come somewhere like this to spend all day in your room. The rooms are small and rough around the edges. The inroom safe did not work and was practically hanging off the wall. The free wifi did not work. Breakfast is basic but gives you a good start to the day. Staff are very friendly. Great location right on the beach.

Would I stay here again? Well perhaps but the prices have to be re-evaluated by the hotel or things need to be smartened up. I don't think the price should be based solely on a good location. I have stayed in many great hotels in premium locations that were much better value this which is why I don't think this hotel is good value.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed at this hotel last week. Room was half the size of normal hotel room. Had a smell, and a lit cigarette was burning and perched on top of the blow dryer. The price was enormous for the poor quality.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

cleveland, oh
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Great location, staff was very professional, polite and helpful, pool was dirty ( I think this was due to record heat that week), breakfast was great but I think people who were staying in nearby houses were coming over and helping themselves to a free breakfast. I liked the wrist band for the pool but it needs to be enforced maybe also for breakfast. I will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Days Inn on the Outer Banks. I appreicate the time you took. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass along your comments concerning the wrist bands and breakfast. If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again please feel free to contact us directly to make reservations; we would be happy to see you again!

Albany, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2010

When my wife and I arrived we looked around and wondered is this the same hotel as the photos we saw on-line when we booked? We're not 100% sure, but it didn't look the same. We kinda had some doubts because there was was another Days Inn a couple blocks down that looked a little nicer. Who knows, maybe the mistake was on our part.

Anyway, the major drawback to this hotel is that it is really showing its age. There are a lot of cosmetic fix-ups showing, but it could really use a major overhaul. One minor drawback is that the room the breakfast is served in is too narrow and poorly configured. That being said, the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful, and the rooms and linens were clean. The pool looked fine, even though we did not use it, and the hotel is located right on the beach.

We were only staying a couple of days because we had a wedding to attend and we wanted a cheap hotel to hold our stuff and give us a place to shower and sleep. We got what we wanted, and what we paid for. If you are going to stay in KDH for any amount of time for vacationing we could recommend renting a house, or stay at the John Yancy Oceanfront Inn.

If you do stay here, go to the fisherman's pier to the north and ask for Ed. He has some great fishing stories and he's a hoot to talk to. He'll even show you his fishing photo album if you ask nicely.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2010

If you are not stickler for cleanliness and modern furniture, then could be the place for you. We came in on Sunday, a day before our reserved day. They had a Queen suite (if that's what you would call it). The room was too small and cramped. On the next day we moved to our reserved room- two double beds, street side (wall side) I was not impressed by the room. My husband was most upset with the room because they put us in a room where our scenic view was a wall. We both felt that the room was congested and smelly, stuffy, and moist from the air conditioner I assume. The bathroom was too small and dirty. The housekeeping was fair with hair left on the bathroom shower (not my hair). They haphazardly made our beds, didn't clean the tub. On our third night, we didn't get enough toilet paper so we had to call housekeeping to bring it up at 10:00. However, I did feel the front desk workers were very hospitable and friendly. I really think that during the winter, they need to clean up the rooms (shampoo the floors, scrub the toilets, paint, fixed the doors (we had to slam ours to close). Even better, have housekeeping use some carpet powder to add freshness to the room. I kept telling my husband "you get what you paid for. But wouldn't it be nice if middle class people could go to a hotel, not pay a lot, and still have a clean, fresh, and spacious room. Fat chance!! If you are looking for just a thrill at the beach and eating good food in the area, then this could be the place for you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed July 2, 2010

it was "Bike Week". While the hotel was ok and the room was ok the fact that I was listening to motorcycle engines revving in the parking lot every morning at 6 am and every night at midnight didn’t make for the most peaceful stay.

But obviously that is not the hotel's fault and in fact the hotel, overall, was a great bargin. No frills but clean with a cheerful staff and at a great price and location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel for your stay in April. Everyone should be advised that Bike Week is in full force every year (the 3rd weekend of April which coincides with Easter next year) and the beach is sold out. We appreciate your trying us out on your visit to the Outer Banks and I'm glad that you seemed to enjoy your stay.

If you are able to visit again (September is a quieter month and the weather is still fabulous, the water is still warm, and the rates are cheaper) please feel free to contact me or the staff for reservations. We would be happy to see you again!

Fairmont, West Virginia
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I have just returned from our stay at the Days Inn Mariner, and it was perfect. We arrived before check in, and went to see if there were any way possible to get into our room early, we had driven all night, and the staff was immediately looking to see if we could enter our room then, which we could. Upon entering the room, I was really unsure how the room would look, and I was pleasantly surprised. We had the Queen bed suite, which had two HDTV televisions, one in the sitting room and one in the bedroom. We were in room 139 which was within yards to the beach. It was absolutely amazing to step out of your room and walk a very short distance to the beach. The staff was incredible, I did not get the gentleman's name that checked us in, but he was superior, three days after first meeting us we saw him again and he still remembered we are from West Virginia. We plan on staying here again if we return to the Outer Banks.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property on the Outer Banks. I am very pleased that you had a wonderful stay in one of our queen suites. These are one of my favorite room types as well at our hotel--many couples and corporate guests request these rooms for their stay.

I will share your generous comments with our staff. If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, please feel free to contact us directly and we would be happy to make reservations for your next stay.

Thank you! Tonia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner? Share your experiences!