“Just what we needed”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Russellville, Arkansas
“Just what we needed”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My family of 5 recently stayed in the 2 bedroom, 4 bed suite at the Mariner. It was very spacious--loved having a full sofa, dining table that sat 8 and view of the ocean. The kitchen area was well furnished, plus having full size appliances was great. We found the staff to be courteous and helpful. We arrived early with 2 tired children, and they got our room ready asap. Breakfast was good. Always having coffee in the lobby was a welcomed treat! The only negatives I saw were the beds are full sized, rather than queen, and there was some remodeling construction noise during the day. But since we were not there to stay in the room all the time, this was not that big of a deal. The last kindness was allowing us to check out at noon to give us an extra hour at the beach with the grandchildren. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We kick-off our OBX vacation by spending Friday night at the Days Inn Mariner in an ocean-front room. It is perfect for us -- right on the beach, affordable, clean and comfortable. We hit the beach on Friday and Saturday morning, thus avoiding the Saturday traffic. My kids love the breakfast. We love the convenience and price and location. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's got a great view and super easy to get to the beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I am not one to write when I don't like a hotel, but figured I used Tripadvisor to find this hotel and I wanted others who looked it up to know just what they were in for. We did not expect the hotel to be top notch but we did hope for a clean, reasonable place to stay.

The negatives: I had called when I first went to book the hotel and talked to the receptionist at length about the room since we had 8 people coming and we were interested in the 2 bedroom suite they had. I was quoted a price but had to check with my husband first. When I looked online again I saw the price was about $60 less...figuring it was an internet rate, I booked it online. Well I found out that the price was only good for up to the first 2 people per room and I had mistakenly only put 1 person (it was $10 extra per person over the 2). I was billed for the extra 6 people at $60 per night when we arrived. When I said it was a 2 Bedroom suite so the price should include 4 people, she said it didn't matter, it was still only for 2....she was quite adamant but tried to be nice. My husband called the Days Inn head office and they said it was listed as 4 person, but there was nothing they could do since it was up to each hotel to decide what they wanted to charge. I know it was my mistake when I booked but I was frustrated that they would charge us the extra. The woman tried showing me on the computer over and over that the price was different but I realized it was and I had made the mistake and was only asking for the $40 less since the 2 bedroom should have included the first 4 people, but she didn't understand. An hour and a half later we gave up...but were back a bit later to discuss the internet that was not working in our room. We were told someone would call us about it and he did a half hour later. He said since the room is on the end the reception will be bad, nothing he could do. He said he would discuss it with the front desk but we heard nothing more about it.

The most disappointing thing about the room itself though had to be the bathroom, and not that it was the smallest room I had ever been in, but that it was only accessible through one of the bedrooms. This meant everyone had to go into the bedroom even at night to use the bathroom. I had asked about the layout of the room when I talked to the woman on the phone and she had led me to believe it was off the main living area. Again, it was my fault since I booked online and they said they could not help me. They only had 2 regular rooms left but they were in different buildings...so we just stayed where we were and dealt with it. It was on the third floor though and there were no elevators (so plan on getting some exercise when you stay in this room...not a big deal, but is not for those who can't do steps well).

We gave up discussing anything with the front desk so we never told them the room itself was not clean behind the bed and under the sofa...lots of crumbs and papers...or that only 1 burner worked on the stove and it smoked badly. I did tell them when we left that the dishes in the cabinets were not clean and there were only 3 spoons and 5 forks.

The positives: The proximity to the beach is great and the pool looked nice. The breakfast was good and the woman who served it was very helpful and pleasant. The sheets were clean and so was the bathroom.

The front desk staff was nice enough but I was too irritated that they would be willing to lose a customer over $40. We have told the company we will not stay at a Days Inn again or any of their other hotels....sad because this hotel could be really nice if they just took a little more care with the property and worked with their patrons a bit better.

Room Tip: If you can't do stairs, ask for first floor and if you book online make sure you put exactly how...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BarbPsalm27:14

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Westminster, MD
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The Mariner is an older hotel on the ocean front and I assume it has seen it's share of tropical storms. It is also not for the rich and famous. It consists of two structures. the older "basic and plain" is situated north-to south, and the newer is situated East to west. (look at Google Satellite). When you look at the website, the East-West structure mentions room by the word "suite", while the older contractor grade/room building has the word "room" in the description. Big difference!!. Now some background on me....I've slept at many hotels (150-200) over the past 30 years for work primarily, and I can't STAND hotels that allow themselves to become nasty dens of grossness, even the nice ones. I stay at a diverse range of quality depending on the project's budgets. That is not the case with the Mariner. I have stayed there for work a hand full of occasions now. I deliberately look for "the little things" as opposed for the latest and greatest of cool amenities. When I look for things like poorly maintained fixtures, interiors, and exteriors, what I find here is a staff that does the BEST they can with what they have to work with (older facility), AND succeeding at it!!!!!!! I care about that...the little things that reflect on the quality of the stay. So far each and every staff member I have had interactions with have been bright, not scary, willing to please, and even promote their employer. By comparison, I usually stay at Hampton Inn's in the cities I work in, and have been so frustrated at the poorly maintained rooms (broken lights with exposed wiring, boot-prints on their cloud-like blankets, staff that rolls their eyes at you when you complain, etc), having also quit staying at Sleep Inn, Quality Inn and the like for similar issues. I told the ladies (Susanne and Lori) at Mariner a few moments ago that I appreciate a hotel and a staff that actually "cares", and are intelligent enough to perform their roles. She thanked me and suggested this website....so here I am, praising the organization (or single hotel at least) that cares enough to make your "Middle Class" stay very clean and positive. I keep stressing Middle Class, because we are what makes this economy crank!!!! and it's the Middle Class $$$ that deserve to be met equally $ for $ (not counting summer-time rates of course). Now I've not stayed in each room there, but of the ones I have (one "Room" and a few "Suites"), the only complaint you should have is Mariner NOT being comparable to the Waldorf or the Ritz...or a drizzly rain on the beautiful Outer Banks of NC....the location of my future retirement vacation home. My first stay there, I looked at several contractors trucks in the parking lot, and figured I should lock me vehicle doors and set the alarm, But after much reflection, I reverted back to my opinion that it's the good Middle Class that makes this economy crank, and these were my Brothers. I wish the best for Mariner, and sincerely hope YOU will find in the Mariner a hard working staff and a reasonable value for your Middle Class $$$. The Outer Banks is addictive, and like I said a moment ago, is my destination for retirement when I'm too old to give a darn. ENJOY your stay!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay careful attention to the wording on the online site. "ROOM" will refer to a BIG singl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dagsboro, Delaware
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We had a room in the older wing which parallels the beach. Since there is no balcony (just a walkway in front of the window) we could not open a sliding door and listen to the ocean waves and the beach is across the parking lot and additionally an expanse of lawn (and a very nice looking pool) so we felt somewhat distant from the ocean. But the ocean is there and the facility offers some strong positives. The staff was very friendly making us feel welcome and at home. The room was full of amenities (actually rather crammed with them since the room was small and dated). I was actually blown away by the internet access. Usually that service costs extra and is a hassle to use but this site had faster service than I do at home and was free and easy to access. Those well known expensive hotels should take notes! The breakfast area is newly renovated and offers many choices for good eats. With a comfortable bed and lots to do in the vicinity, this motel overall rates as a true bargain deal.

Room Tip: Might try to get into the newer wing which is aimed vertical to the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The two rooms closest to beachfront probably have the best view of the ocean. We could not get the top floor with the balcony view, but the view downstairs was great as well. They cleaned our window glass so we could see the beach better, without having to ask. This building inside had a good size eat in kitchen, a mid-side living space with mounted tv and large picture window view of the ocean, the bedroom was closed off for privacy and featured two very comfortable large beds. The bathroom was less appealing but not bad. The front desk was polite and effiecient. Breakfast items were fresh and tasted great. The coffee was outstanding. The housekeeping could have did a better job cleaning the dresser mirrors and bathroom fixtures but all else was clean. My wife and I really enjoyed the walkway outside our door that led to the look out deck and beach excess point. We picked a time when everything was quiet, no disturbances or loud music, and if you intend to visit the Days Inn and Suites Mariner you must be prepared to watch the sun come up, else you really miss out on a stunning sunrise, from your window view or from outside. I plan to revisit the Mariner in the future and hopefully reserve the room upstairs. We were even asked if we enjoyed our stay which is a rareity to be asked these days.

Room Tip: Last two rooms of theThe Mariner CLOSEST to the Oceanview are the BEST!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us! I said "Yay!" when I finished reading your review as I was quite happy you were happy with your stay with us. I will share your thoughts on the mirrors with our housekeeping staff but am pleased everything else was to your satisfaction. Those 2 end rooms are 1 of a kind at our hotel and you were quite lucky to be able to rent one--normally the one upstairs is booked a year in advance! I'm glad the front desk was attentive and friendly and that you enjoyed our new hot breakfast.

If you are able to visit with us again, please feel free to contact us direct and maybe we'll be able to get you reserved for the room upstairs the next time! Thank you--Tonia
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Days inn, 75 feet from the Beach. an older motel, with dated rooms, but very clean. nice, close parking. Close to all attractions and good eating places. staff, helpful and willing to help if you are new to area. Beds were comfy, but bathroom was small, but who cares everything worked. If you are looking for upscale, this is not your place, but if if want a clean, warm, and friendly place for a few nights, its fine. Breakfast buffet in am was well stocked and tasty. Rates were some of the best. Tom

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom53177
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thanks Tom for writing a review of your stay with us! I'm happy the staff was able to offer suggestions and recommendations and that you found your stay clean and comfy. We hope that you are able to visit the Outer Banks again and we would love to have you stay with us again for your stay. If you are able to return to the Outer Banks please feel free to contact me or any of the staff and we would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,402 reviews
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner? Share your experiences!