“Definitely go back again !”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Fox Lake, Illinois
“Definitely go back again !”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

The 3rd floor tower room had a great view, loved the balcony, picture perfect with the gazebo and 180 ocean view. Just a short walk to the beach from the room. We loved the indoor and outdoor pools. Some days it was too windy/cool to go to the beach so the pool option was great ! We were also glad to have an elevator after a long day of sightseeing. The deluxe continental breakfast was really nice. The front desk staff was awesome..very knowledgeable and friendly. Trish one of the the front desk managers found out it was my bday while I was there and she posted a happy bday greeting on the hotel sign ! Colony is centrally located between Nags head and Kitty Hawk. All sightseeing you can do in a week is right there from Corolla to Ocracoke. Very cool vacation place !!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Clean rooms good location upstairs neighbors were very loud stayed awake most nights reported it but it continued running kids I guess thought they were going to fall through the ceiling, never stay on bottom floor!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
whitneywh
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I stayed in Room 214 alone for two nights over a weekend for a wedding being held a mile up the road. The room was much more accommodating than I expected; brand new appliances, nice furniture, granite counters, Bath & Body Works items for the bathroom.

I agree with other reviewers that the room was musty... pretty high humidity for a room with an A/C blowing nonstop. My clothes felt damp.

Also agree that the walls are so darn thin you can hear everything. But as a light sleeper I come fully equipped with earplugs and a white noise machine I take on trips for those very reasons.

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. I never did have the breakfast; just got McDonald's each day.

My room was odd though... the window faces a wall, but all along another wall of the room they could have put a balcony because you can see the ocean on that side. Why they didn't do that and enable themselves to get more $ for the room I don't know.

The pools looked nice but I never did get in them. The parking lot was clean and well-lit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Don't usually frequent motels for the security aspect alone, however our choices in KDH were limited and we were pleasantly surprised with our room. Traveling with two children, we had a large room with a door that opened to a small balcony with a limited view of the Atlantic. Nothing too fancy, but exceptionally clean and comfortable room. Tube type tv (getting now where it's novelty to find these). Bathroom is a little cramped with door swinging inward (impossible to open from a "seated" position, but offers the advantage of a "steam" shower, if you desire. Best customer service experience in an independently owned setting. Breakfast is standard fare, dry cereal, bagels, juice and coffee. Crowded at breakfast, but there is McDonald's, Burger King right down the road as well. Pool was warm and Hot tub was hot. Water in shower was hot as well. Would definitely recommend and go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Went there with family in late March and stayed in 3 rooms. Very curteous check-in staff. They actually upgraded our rooms at no additional cost so that we could have adjoining rooms rather than rooms far apart. We were all very pleased with the beachfront location. The indoor pool was nice (ocean in March is way too cold to swim in without a wetsuit), but actually a little too warm. The breakfast is a typical continental breakfast--nothing more, nothing less. Overall, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed April 19, 2010

First, you have to accept this place for what it is: an old beach motel. Even then, it has some issues that need to be addressed.

We arrived early and the kind front desk worker let us check in early. We entered a dated, dark room that smelled of a blend of cigarette smoke and mildew. The AC seemed to make the smell worse because when I turned it on, I was blasted w/ that smell. Resorting to the bathroom fan to help clear the air brought a sound of a jet engine into the equation.

Sound is the biggest problem with this motel. The walls and doors are paper thin and you hear everything that happens with your neighbors and even those walking outside your room. Make sure you get a second floor room because I saw an older woman complaining to the front desk about people talking in the parking lot, slamming car doors and people jumping in the room above hers. Obviously, she had a first floor room.

Contintental breakfast was a nice idea but poorly executed. The food selection was minimal with nothing other bread based foods (muffins, formerly frozen waffles, bagels). The lack of seating was the biggest problem as they do not allow you to remove food from the hot, small room where you have to eat.

With such a low rate, I did not expect a luxury hotel. However, I do expect a room where I can get a good night's sleep and not have to wash the clothes I didn't wear when I got home because of the odor the clothes absorbed. Despite it's great location, I will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grhokie
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for four nights during part of our Spring Break. We have stayed here many times in the past because it is a reasonable price for a basic, but clean, motel. We return twice each year because we know what other places expect and offer. This is a good deal if you know what to expect. The office staff is always kind, and our reservations have always been as expected. The breakfast is a continental breakfast as I would expect it to be. We bring a cooler of other food. Part of our vacation is planning on eating out. Why else be tourists in a down economy? The bathroom is tiled and the sink top, though rather small for applying makeup or brushing teeth, is granite. We have stayed in the tower and the main part. The smell is musty in the main part, so bring a relaxing scent, but the tower rooms are fresh. Fresh towels and clean rooms each day make for a relaxing return from a day at the beach or shopping or enjoying the locale. The pathway to the beach is a boardwalk with a nice gazebo for taking night pictures or waving to fellow friends back at home on the webcam stationed at the corner of the tower.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ForeverOBX
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!