Shutters On the Banks
$110
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$100
Outer Banks Inn(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$84
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$120
BestWestern.com
Comfort Inn On The Ocean(Kill Devil Hills)
$149
$107
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$107
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$104
Travelocity
Driftin' Sands Motel(Kill Devil Hills)
$119
$71
Hotels.com
1,032 results
All reviewstower buildingindoor poolwaffleshot tubcontinental breakfastboiled eggsdune viewnice gazebosecond floorwaffle makerfloor roomjockey's ridgedefinitely stay here againnice breakfastprivate balconybeach accesswatch the sunrise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was our first time staying at this hotel, though we are frequent visitors of OBX. Found it through TripAdvisor and the reviews were good, so we thought "why not?" However, after having a very unpleasant experience at a hotel in VA Beach a few weeks earlier, we did have our guard up.

The room wasn't quite ready when we arrived (a little earlier than expected) but we were given the passcode to the pool and directions to the gazebo. We opted for the gazebo and it was wonderful. Ran into an old high school friend and met new friends all in the hour while waiting.

The check in experience was great, as was every experience we had with the hotel staff. We did have some issues with our room; the tub didn't drain properly, shower rack was broken and our phone didn't work. We notified the front desk of these issues and they wanted to send someone to fix them that night but since it was after hours and it wasn't something major, we didn't want to drag someone away from their family for something that could wait until the next day. Everything was promptly fixed the next day!

The room was very clean, the staff was very friendly and the location is excellent. I absolutely fell in love with this quaint little hotel! I will definitely recommend it to anyone one who's looking to visit OBX and we will be returning!!! Thank you to the management and staff for taking pride in your hotel. It shows!

PS: The bed was AHHHHMAZING ;-)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YaYa_NoVA
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear YaYa_NoVA,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will return to us again. Please accept my apologies for the issues you had in your room and I am happy to hear that they were addressed the next day.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed at Shutters for 4 nights in July, 2014. Check in was quick, and the room was ready and waiting. They guarantee a 4pm check in. We were a little early and got right in. First thing I noticed was how friendly and polite the desk staff was. We had the ocean view room, and what a view it is. Beautiful sunrises from the private balcony. Another reviewer said it great - the room is a little dated, but extremely clean. I will take some dated furniture for cleanliness any day. The room was kept impeccable our entire stay. We were very pleased with housekeeping. The breakfast was a nice bonus. It is a continental breakfast. So realize it is a quick FREE breakfast. We loved it. My husband would get breakfast and bring it back to the room. We don't need a lot for breakfast. The coffee was great - available 24hrs. That was also free. The grounds themselves were very clean- never saw litter. It is a natural landscape. Just lovely.The walk to the beach is simple and quick along the boarded walkway. Along the way is a shower and wash station to clean off the sand after an ocean swim. A gazebo is right before the beach to relax. The pools are clean, but the indoor is a little crowded on rainy days. But it is a beach destination- we didn't expect much of an indoor pool. So it exceeded our expectations having two pools. The outdoor pool is nice also. Shallow- perfect for our eight year old son. Any time we came across a staff member, they were quick to smile, say hi or give a simple wave. We felt very welcome. Over all, our stay beat our expectations. We recommend this hotel for anyone looking to enjoy a natural beach setting at a clean, friendly, relaxing hotel. We will definitely return. If you are looking for a commercial high energy resort - go north to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: Ocean view will put you on top 2 floors looking past the dunes.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jon A

Dear Jon A,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff took good care of you. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We had a great time. good breakfast. indoor and outdoor pool. beachfront. outdoor shower great staff. we were there during hurricane Arthur, felt safe, staff cleaned up debris immediate after. room was clean well taken care of

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Holly T,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that Hurricane Arthur dampened your trip but hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time on the Outer Banks. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in 2014. The room, though somewhat dated, was extremely clean and well cared for. Our third floor room with its balcony was extremely quiet and the balcony gave us great relaxing views. The room location provided us with quick access to the beach as well as convenient access to restaurants and entertainment. The most amazing part of our stay was the staff. You will never find a more friendly staff and that was apparent from the reservation process over the phone until we walked out the door. They were always busy making the place more presentable and comfortable. We arrived early the first day but our room was ready and we were given the key and told to enjoy ourselves and to let them know if there was anything we needed. We will go back and I highly recommend Shutters to all looking for a great place to stay in the OBX.

Room Tip: Upper floors in the tower offer a better view of the ocean and beach but cost slightly more. Its worth it and the 4th floor would be my choice. Very quiet hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear James C,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and the Outer Banks. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in the off-season (October) for our honeymoon and we really enjoyed it. The room was clean and the hotel is right on the beach. We were on the second floor and had a view of the dunes, so if we stay here again we will choose the third or fourth floor for an ocean view. They do offer breakfast and it's pretty good. The only bad thing about the breakfast area is that it's pretty small. We are hoping to go to OBX again this coming October for our 1 year anniversary and we plan on staying here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Penny G,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so happy that you chose to spend your Anniversary with us and that you enjoyed your time here on the Outer Banks. I look forward to seeing you again in October for your next Anniversary.