“Great value and location.”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Topton, Pennsylvania
“Great value and location.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights during our first trip to the Outer Banks in early October 2012. After much research on Tripadvisor we chose "Shutters" and were very glad we did. For a seashore accommodation, the room was nice, clean and comfortable, and the rate was reasonable compared to other places in the area, some of which looked shabby compared to Shutters. I had recently recovered from a broken ankle and was pleased that the booking staff put us on the first floor of the tower building right next to the pathway to the Gazebo making it easy for me to access the Gazebo and enjoy the views on the beach with a minimum amount of walking.. We enjoyed the breakfast in the attractive and clean breakfast room each day -- choices were limited but definitely sufficient, tasty and fresh.
Front desk staff were very helpful in recommending and giving directions to excellent local eateries for dinner. We had originally only made a one night reservation and planned to travel farther south for the other two nights, but we liked this place so much we decided to extend our stay and use this as a central location for day trips north and south along the coast.
If we decide to vacation along the Outer Banks in the future,we would definitely consider staying at Shutters again, but I would opt for the more expensive rooms in the tower so we'd have a beach view from the room. We didn't get to use the pool while we were there but it looked very inviting. The only thing I think people should be aware of is the heaviness of the entry doors to the rooms. If you're not very strong and you have a big suitcase, it's a bit of a struggle to get it inside without the door closing on you, and when neighboring patrons let their doors slam you can definitely hear it. Overall, though, we definitely recommend this beach located hotel. .

Room Tip: Upper floors in the tower building have wonderful views of the beach but are more expensive.
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Not bad for the price. They need more seating for their continental breakfast. Need to remodel. I think the lobby looks nice but they need to carry that into the rooms. The do have an excellent free breakfast everyday. They just need more room to eat it.

• Stayed July 2013
Suamico, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We searched hard for the right place to stay on our extended motorcycle trip from Wisconsin. We picked this hotel based on price and location plus the TripAdvisor reviews we saw. We were not disappointed. The rooms are very nice and extremely clean. The location is right on the beach with a terrific pavillion for drinks in the evening. The breakfasts were very good. The clerk who checked us in was terrific and went out of her way to make sure we were happy. There was another one the next evening who couldn't care less. Hope you get the one who checked us in! This place is a nugget for value in a very overpriced (law of supply and demand in the summer) area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building which doesn't have a view of the water but which was much less ex...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
baltimore, md
Reviewed July 8, 2013

While this wasn't the most amazing hotel ever (very, very far from it), this hotel was on the beach--really on the beach-- not a million dollars, and actually quiet during late night quiet hours so families could get some sleep. Free breakfast is always good, even if not amazing--saves you from having to trek out somewhere. And who wants a huge breakfast before a day of lazing around on the beach anyway?

Room Tip: Careful of any room on the first floor with a park/pool room. It's cheaper and still available...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank baltimorebuttercup
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The location is great, literally steps away from the beach. However, overall, it was overpriced for what you get. Initially they charged me $100 more for the stay than the rate I had booked, which they corrected once i complained the following day. The rooms were basic motel quality. Mine was more or less clean but I saw staff out with bug spray for lower level rooms, which seems like a frequent complaint. Probably advisable to spring for an ocean view room if you're thinking of staying here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ear464
harleygirl64
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I love the Outer Banks of NC. With that being said, it is NOT Myrtle Beach. The pace is slower. The people seem friendlier but many things are worn down and weathered. There were numerous businesses falling in and abandoned this trip. possibly from the last hurricane. The one reliable for us is this hotel. The rooms are always clean and the staff is always accommodating and friendly.

They have an indoor heated pool that was a tad on the chilly side but felt wonderful since it rained EVERY day we were there. There is an outdoor pool that received a lot of visits since the ocean was frigid. The continental breakfast was perfect for us with waffles, fruit, donuts, coffee all the time and cereals. You have to be on a very high floor to get a true ocean view because the hotel must be sheltered behind the dunes for protection.

They have a gazebo that is lovely for sitting and reading or looking at the sea. It is conveniently located with several stores and restaurants within walking distance you can even see the Wright Brothers Memorial from the parking lot! The rooms do need a facelift with the linens and it needs some paint on the sidewalks but it is still a great place to stay. We have stayed here many times and hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: The rooms with an ocean view are in the newer tower and on the highest floor since the hotel is situ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Made a reservation in late February for a fourth floor room in tower two with an ocean view for a weekend in late June. Upon arrival I was given a second floor "dune view" room key. Despite having a reservation for four months in advance, there were no rooms available and I was originally charged the full amount for a fourth floor room. I took the room and was told that I could move to the fourth floor the next day. Not long after getting into my now second floor room I received a call and was told that for my inconvenience that they would give me a discount. This was basically the difference in room price for the first night.

The next day I was driving around visiting the tourist areas around the area (was on a weekend vacation) and received a call, after they called my parents house for some reason, wanting to know why I hadn't checked out yet and was wanting me to drive back (over an hour drive) and check out of one room and later come back and check into the other. I told them to forget it, that I would stay in the room I was in just to avoid all of the extra trouble. When I got back my key cards didn't work so I had to go get another one set up. Upon leaving and wanting to know if I had over paid for my room (I did despite being told on the first day that I hadn't) I had to wait for the staff to try to figure out what had been refunded and what had been charged and recharged. In the end they owed me over $50 and I can say the best part of this weekend vacation was leaving this place. The entire ordeal pretty much ruined my weekend.

I stayed here 2 years ago and had no complaints aside from the tiny bathroom where the door actually makes contact with the toilet. I saw another commenter complaining of a large cock roach inside their room and I almost had the same issue with one just outside of my room. While in the office checking out, someone called wanting someone to remove a "large spider" from their room.

But all of my troubles could've easily been avoided if they could've competently performed the most basic function of a hotel, taking and keeping a reservation. I'm not the kind of person that would ask for a discount over such things, and I didn't, but it's surprising that one wasn't even offered outside of one that was used as a veil for a typical refund, or anything else for that matter. I didn't even get so much as an apology on my way out. There are plenty of other hotels on the beaches of OBX. If you're looking for even the most basic customer service you may want to find somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank K-Dero
MKellySmith, Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I am very sorry to read your comment, I am glad that you have taken the time to give us the feedback that you have. If you would call the hotel directly I would like to speak to you regarding your stay and your dissatisfaction. I can be reached at 252-441-5518.

Again thank you for your feedback it will only be able to prevent issues like this from happening again.

M. Kelly Smith
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!