Shutters On the Banks
$237
$199
QualityInn
Outer Banks Inn(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$161
$170
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn(Kill Devil Hills)
$190
$158
$175
Comfort Inn On The Ocean(Kill Devil Hills)
$239
$189
$282
$247
BestWestern.com
$179
Orbitz.com
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)
$259
1,051 results
All reviewstower buildingindoor poolwaffleshot tubcontinental breakfastboiled eggsdune viewnice gazebosecond floorwaffle makerfloor roomwatch the sunriseprivate balconyjockey's ridgebiscuits and gravydefinitely stay here againbeach access
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The location is great, literally steps away from the beach. However, overall, it was overpriced for what you get. Initially they charged me $100 more for the stay than the rate I had booked, which they corrected once i complained the following day. The rooms were basic motel quality. Mine was more or less clean but I saw staff out with bug spray for lower level rooms, which seems like a frequent complaint. Probably advisable to spring for an ocean view room if you're thinking of staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ear464
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I love the Outer Banks of NC. With that being said, it is NOT Myrtle Beach. The pace is slower. The people seem friendlier but many things are worn down and weathered. There were numerous businesses falling in and abandoned this trip. possibly from the last hurricane. The one reliable for us is this hotel. The rooms are always clean and the staff is always accommodating and friendly.

They have an indoor heated pool that was a tad on the chilly side but felt wonderful since it rained EVERY day we were there. There is an outdoor pool that received a lot of visits since the ocean was frigid. The continental breakfast was perfect for us with waffles, fruit, donuts, coffee all the time and cereals. You have to be on a very high floor to get a true ocean view because the hotel must be sheltered behind the dunes for protection.

They have a gazebo that is lovely for sitting and reading or looking at the sea. It is conveniently located with several stores and restaurants within walking distance you can even see the Wright Brothers Memorial from the parking lot! The rooms do need a facelift with the linens and it needs some paint on the sidewalks but it is still a great place to stay. We have stayed here many times and hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: The rooms with an ocean view are in the newer tower and on the highest floor since the hotel is situated behind sand dunes for shelter
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Made a reservation in late February for a fourth floor room in tower two with an ocean view for a weekend in late June. Upon arrival I was given a second floor "dune view" room key. Despite having a reservation for four months in advance, there were no rooms available and I was originally charged the full amount for a fourth floor room. I took the room and was told that I could move to the fourth floor the next day. Not long after getting into my now second floor room I received a call and was told that for my inconvenience that they would give me a discount. This was basically the difference in room price for the first night.

The next day I was driving around visiting the tourist areas around the area (was on a weekend vacation) and received a call, after they called my parents house for some reason, wanting to know why I hadn't checked out yet and was wanting me to drive back (over an hour drive) and check out of one room and later come back and check into the other. I told them to forget it, that I would stay in the room I was in just to avoid all of the extra trouble. When I got back my key cards didn't work so I had to go get another one set up. Upon leaving and wanting to know if I had over paid for my room (I did despite being told on the first day that I hadn't) I had to wait for the staff to try to figure out what had been refunded and what had been charged and recharged. In the end they owed me over $50 and I can say the best part of this weekend vacation was leaving this place. The entire ordeal pretty much ruined my weekend.

I stayed here 2 years ago and had no complaints aside from the tiny bathroom where the door actually makes contact with the toilet. I saw another commenter complaining of a large cock roach inside their room and I almost had the same issue with one just outside of my room. While in the office checking out, someone called wanting someone to remove a "large spider" from their room.

But all of my troubles could've easily been avoided if they could've competently performed the most basic function of a hotel, taking and keeping a reservation. I'm not the kind of person that would ask for a discount over such things, and I didn't, but it's surprising that one wasn't even offered outside of one that was used as a veil for a typical refund, or anything else for that matter. I didn't even get so much as an apology on my way out. There are plenty of other hotels on the beaches of OBX. If you're looking for even the most basic customer service you may want to find somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank K-Dero
MKellySmith, Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I am very sorry to read your comment, I am glad that you have taken the time to give us the feedback that you have. If you would call the hotel directly I would like to speak to you regarding your stay and your dissatisfaction. I can be reached at 252-441-5518.

Again thank you for your feedback it will only be able to prevent issues like this from happening again.

M. Kelly Smith
Manager
Shutters on The Banks

Reviewed June 21, 2013

stayed 1 night we were more than satisfied, price was right , location was good, breakfast was better than nothing,we had never stayed on the outer banks before, so we didnt know what to expect.we loved the area we might try to rent a house and bring the whole family next time

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We chose Shutters on the Banks for it's great reviews on TripAdvisor, because we know from previous experience that a lot of hotels on the beach are old and in disrepair. Those Shutters reviews were right on about what a great place it is! We had a corner room on the 3rd floor of the tower section, so we had views of the ocean on two walls! We had a king room, which was very spacious including a couch and coffee table, microwave, and refrigerator. The bed was very firm, which isn't my preference, but it was okay. There was also a large closet for your clothes and/or luggage, which was great. The shampoo, conditioner, and soap are Bath and Body Works products and very nice! The room was very clean, and if you use your "Do Not Disturb" and don't have your room cleaned, the housekeeper will leave you a bag of clean towels, new cups, etc.! The staff was extremely friendly. The housekeepers on all floors always greeted us when we were heading to and from breakfast. Breakfast is in the main lobby, which is a little bit of walk from the tower rooms, but we didn't mind. The breakfast is included in your stay and offers fruit cups, yogurt, muffins, bagels, English muffins, breakfast sandwiches, waffles, coffee, and juice. For a free breakfast, I felt it was good. The breakfast attendants were great about replenishing food items and cleaning tables. The one downside to breakfast is there are only a few tables and usually quite a crowd of guests using the breakfast area. There are indoor and outdoor pools, which we really appreciated after my husband got sunburned. Having a sheltered pool to swim in really took the sting out of his burns! There is also a big gazebo on the beach that makes a nice place to watch the ocean out of the sun. Shutters also rents beach equipment if you need chairs or umbrellas, which is nice. The views were really great and being right on the beach was very fun and very convenient. Looking out at the ocean from our balcony, we saw pods of dolphins more than once! We had a great experience, and I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor of the tower if you want an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple