“great location, not-so-great rooms”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Virginia
“great location, not-so-great rooms”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in early September. We chose it because of the location, and the indoor pool. It had been promoted as a bed and breakfast, but was just an old hotel (formerly the Colony IV) which has been partly renovated, with a continental breakfast. Coffee & tea are available 24/7. The room had a strong smell of room freshener, and our luggage and all clothing had this smell by the time we left. The beds were not very comfortable, and the room (2 queens) did not have a chair or anywhere to sit besides the beds. We were in the main building, behind the check-in area. The lobby is really nice, and has a nice room with comfortable furniture and a fireplace, where we spent a lot of time sitting and reading in the evenings. They also have a great gazebo with a sea view, which was very enjoyable. We actually ended up not using the pool or hot tub, though they looked nice and clean. We probably will not stay here again, although other reviewers say the "tower rooms" are nicer and that might be worth a try, because the price is right.

Room Tip: Avoid the main building, stay in the Tower
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nice_trip
Tom H, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your review. I would appreciate knowing where you saw us promoted as a bed and breakfast so I can get that corrected, my direct email is tom@shuttersonthebanks.com. The tower rooms are larger and the private balcony makes it more enjoyable if you plan on spending a of time in the room. We are replacing the bedding over the winter so I hope you will give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Haledon, New Jersey
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had a great stay this week at this hotel. The room we had was clean, roomy and spacious. Our room had a balcony facing the beach. We could see dolphins in the ocean! The staff was friendly and accommodating. The bathroom was a bit on the small side. The beach was accessible from right behind the hotel. Breakfast was served daily, nothing exciting, bagels, muffins, cereal, etc. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "tower" area on the 4th floor, the balcony faced the ocean. This is a bi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tom H, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you had a wonderful visit to the outer banks. We look forward to seeing you again.
Tennessee
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed one night (only one night planned) and was not impressed.When I arrived the sign with the hotel name had been removed and made it hard to identify. My room was not ready ,no problem, the lady at the counter said she would call me when it was ready. No call. When I came back a couple of hours later it was ready. The hotel has excellent beach access with showers to rinse off the sand. The room and building were in need of a little updating. My room was by the pool and the walls are very thin. I could hear conversations at normal speaking levels. The room was clean and tidy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JayTennessee
Tom H, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry about the mix-up and your not getting a call when your room was ready.
Upper
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We just returned from staying two nights at this cozy hotel. The beach access was just what my husband and I wanted. The room was nice with the amenities we needed. The only downside was the bathroom area is a little tight, but really not a problem with only two people in a room. The continental breakfast was typical. I would definitely return here in the future.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank buckeyeblazer
Thanks for the review, we look forward to your return visit.
va
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in August. Had a parking lot double room on the first floor. Nice and clean with bath& body works toiletries. Breakfast was the usual carbs plus hard boiled eggs. Ok for me since I'm not a big breakfast eater. The only negative thing I can say is there must have been a very large person staying on the floor above us because we could hear him stomping around at night. Thankfully he did not stay up late.
The staff was wonderful and eager to please. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Karen G
Tom H, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thanks for the review, we look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent a lot of time trying to find a place to stay at the OBX. I decided to go with Shutters because of the reviews and mainly because they said they had a heated pool. Good things: Staff is friendly, very close to the beach and the cont breakfast was just enough to start the morning. Bad: I got to OBX early and asked if my room was ready. They took my number and said they would call me. Never called and room was ready at 3:55. No biggie. The heated pool did not feel heated to me at all. The code to get into the swimming pool was nothing but a hassle. Tried to call front desk 4 times but no answer. So I had to walk to the office to be told, "it should work". Well it didnt. And when I was checking out, the people in front of me was voicing the same concern. If its a constant problem why hasnt it been fixed. And one day I tried again and I was told the code changed, but was never told. Got woken up one morning at 7am to a kid screaming in the hallway. Its an ok place, would i return????? Not to sure!!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank annarebecca107
Thanks for the review. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. New pool door locks were installed in August and have required service once since then, I am not sure if that was before or after your visit. We hope you will consider a return visit.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have always loved staying here! This was our 5th year staying at (formerly Colony IV by the sea) Shutters on the Banks. We arrive on Labor Day afternoon and we always get a tower room.
We've been lucky and have been able to stay on the 4th floor looking over the ocean. As soon as we walk in they are very friendly and will do what they can for you.
They had, had a lot of people checking out that day so our room wasn't ready yet. No problem! We went and gassed up and rode around and when we got back the room was just about ready. We unloaded and had help with taking the luggage carrier up the elevator and to the room.
The office staff to the house keeping staff are very friendly! Love the new upgrades!
Breakfast is just enough for us as we like to get out on the beach early. Love having the Port of Call across the street. This is one of our first night places we walk over too and enjoy the bar.
We had great weather except a little rain storm on Thurs afternoon but didn't last long.
Looking out over the ocean and seeing the sunrise is a must. Or just getting up and walking the beach is very relaxing.
Meet a lot of nice vacationers while we were there.
Thank you and see you next year! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holly W
Thank you for the review and your return visits to Shutters. See you next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,164 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!