“Well Run Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Usa
“Well Run Hotel”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just returned from a three night stay. We found the Ocean Reef Suites to be a great fit for our family. It was our first time on the Outer Banks and we enjoyed the proximity to the Wright Brothers Memorial (great view of the Memorial from the hotel!), Jockey Ridge, and all the other Outer Banks attractions.
When I booked the room the only rooms available were smoking. They informed me that they were cleaned very very well and we should be fine. On my online reservation I requested being switched to any non smoking room that became available. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention my husband's dislike of rooms over the third floor. When I called the morning of check in to confirm they had indeed moved me to a non smoking room but it was on the top floor of the hotel. They did offer us a smoking room on a lower floor and we took a chance. I used to smoke and smoke doesn't bother me. However, the room had that smell of years of smoke. I could have lived with it but my 8 yo son really hated it and thought he would "get cancer". Remember, all of this was my fault when I didn't mention the floor preference! Anyway, the hotel could not have been more accommodating. Since the hotel was full there was nothing they could do that evening but they did arrange for us to be moved the next day to a third floor room. I hated to pack up again but housekeeping moved all of our belongings and we were told we would have access to the first room until our things had been moved to the new room. We were never "homeless" and we were never treated as a "problem" guest.
The rooms themselves were clean and spacious. Beds were comfortable, and the living room had a full couch, comfy chairs with foot stools and a table for four. The kitchen had a small fridge that was very cold, microwave, and small 4 burner stove with oven. If I was coming for a week I would probably rent one of the numerous rental homes but for a few nights the set up of this well run hotel was perfect.
The spotless Continental breakfast room was well stocked with muffins, bagels, cereals, juice and great coffee! Really a nice way to start your exploration.
One side note the hotel is right next to one of the lifeguard headquarters and there is a guard right in front of the hotel. The pool and hot tub were very clean as was the whole facility. Perfect for our first trip to the Outer Banks!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Lynda S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Rochester NY
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Beautiful suite, with an ocean view, well-equipped efficiency kitchen, and quiet bedroom. We couldn't believe it was so cheap! It was an easy walk to the beach on their boardwalk. Very near to the Wright Brothers monument. My only small complaint was that our room lacked wireless internet -- needing to run an ethernet cable is so last century!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed October 31, 2008

This was my first visit to the Outer Banks and the Atlantic Ocean. My daughter is going to the University of North Carolina so I took her for a night at the ocean. We were delighted with this hotel! We had the second floor duneside and had a great view of the ocean. We watched the full moon come up at night and the sun come up over the ocean in the morning. The breakfast room had a great view of the Wright Brother's Monument. It was just a few steps outside to the beach. There was a separate bedroom, kitchen and a murphy bed in the livingroom. I plan on bringing the whole family next time for several days or maybe even for a week long retreat.

One thing to note: We went during the off-season so we got a great deal on the hotel, plus the beaches were very empty, the stores had some great sales. The weather was great, about 80 degrees the first day then cooled down to the 60's the next day.

Please check this place out! I hope you like it.

• Liked — View of the ocean
  • Disliked — The elevator was very slow.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Marriottsville
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We are a family of 4 and really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were very clean and perfect set up for a small family on a long-weekend vacation. The staff was always helpful and pleasant. We would definitely go back again.

• Liked — Right on the beach and kitchenette in the room.
  • Disliked — No bathroom downstairs by the pool but a minor inconvience.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed September 3, 2008

This hotel has wonderful beachfront views as well as great views of the Wright Memorial. The room was clean and spacious. We loved having a bedroom separate from the living area. Service was great and we are staying there again this year (2008).

• Liked — The Ocean View!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
agabsi
Reviewed July 9, 2008

My wife, my four kids, and I loved the place. We were there last week and we stayed in room 306, which has beautiful Ocean view. The suite has very nice and clean rooms. Nice kitchen equipped with kitchen ware, knife, and dining set oven stove and everything else that you need to cook, which saved me a lot money on food. Nice swing pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. The best of all is the excellent customer service. They have a very friendly stuff with nice smile on their faces. In our last day there, and after we checked out, my kids still wanted to go to the beach. After we came back from the ocean, The receptionist provided us with place to shower at the 4th floor in the gym. They made sure that we got fresh towels for the entire family. I certainly go back and highly recommend them.

• Liked — Customer Service, Rooms and view
  • Disliked — non
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
ky
Reviewed June 15, 2008

The ocan view paid for the room itself. Everyone was nice at the check-in/out. The only bad thing was they didn't change our sheets, but they weren't filthy. Other than that it was wonderful. You couldn't hear your neighbors or anything. We stayed 2 nights and had no real problems. The room is very huge espcially for a family of 5. We have more than enough room for everyone. Would stay there again.
We were worried that it could have been run-down cause of the ocean mist, but that was a huge suprise.

• Liked — right on the beach
  • Disliked — they didn't change our sheets while were there
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Best Western Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!