This place would be terrific. We stayed in a 2-room suite, at the 5th floor. The room layout and amenities, as well as the hotel's direct opening towards the sea are - indeed - top notch. It is an older building and it shows though. But for me, that in itself is no reason to downgrade substantially a property. So: here are the definite drawbacks: it's drafty. The balcony doors have really worn out insulation and the howling of the wind is the first sound you notice as you enter the suite. another problem is that it only has 2 elevators, for a rather large hotel. And the one that is most solicited does not exactly work right. And then: the real drawback: they figured to renovate their breakfast room during the tourist season and give guests vouchers to a local breakfast place (Jolly Rogers), about 1.5 miles away. That may not sound like a big problem until you realize that unless you wake up and get there before 7, your wait may count in the 45 minutes to 1 hour or more. That's because, while it offers decent food, the place is small and it's open for regulars/others breakfast too. I don't know about others but I don't go on vacations to spend them waiting.
Then. there's a trick with the billing, which some may like, others may not. I'll simply expose it and let you decide if you like it or not, since I can definitely see both sides: if you book on-line, as we did, the hotel charges your card for the entire duration of your stay, up-front. That is, at the time of the reservation, not at the time when your stay effectively begins. If you do the reservation 2 months in advance - as we did - that amounts to a 2 month interest-free financing towards the hotel. If you appreciate having it all paid off before you even start the vacation, that may be a plus. If you mind giving free money to businesses and prefer to pre-pay a credit card to build up the cushion for the actual charge, or prefer the peace of mind that it's easier to cancel, then this may bother you. As I said, i present this neutrally, since I realize it entirely depends on the person.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Best Western, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Ocean Reef Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Ocean Reef Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Best Western Kill Devil Hills
- Kill Devil Hills Best Western
- Best Western Ocean Reef Suites Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills