Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$121
$110
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$100
Outer Banks Inn(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$84
Comfort Inn On The Ocean(Kill Devil Hills)
$149
$107
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$107
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$104
Shutters On the Banks(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$125
Driftin' Sands Motel(Kill Devil Hills)
$119
All reviewsmurphy bedliving roomthe outer bankspocket doorsmall kitchenbreakfast staffhigher floorkitchen areaoff seasonbreakfast roomfull size refrigeratorfifth floorpool and hot tubthe wright brothers memorialgreat place to staywafflesgreat room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have reviewed this hotel in the past but things have changed somewhat. My sister and I were there at the end of May. Unfortunately we arrived there during a tropical storm. When we checked in, the room was not very clean. The tile floor was dirty and had long hair all over it. I found an earring and hair twisties on the floor and other debris. It was if the room was never vacuumed. After requesting it to be cleaned up there was still stuff on the floors. The overall appearance of the room was more on the shabby side then our previous visit the year before. Still the location of the room was great, poolside with an ocean view and the people we met there were really nice. It is time for an update for this hotel to bring it back up to the potential it has. You can't beat the location and the large rooms but....this hotel is in need of some remodeling. If they do this we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank amsirius
Lynda S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2014

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We had a great stay here during the week of May 28 - June 2. Housekeeping could pay a little closer attention to detail but that is the ONLY complaint I have at all. Our room was on the 4th floor and had the most amazing view of the ocean. The sunrise views were completely breathtaking! I didn't see that much wrong with the decor myself; from some of the reviews I'd read I was pleasantly surprised. I came there to be on the beach and though I have pretty high standards I didn't expect the Ritz. The room was actually nicer than the photos online. My son LOVED the Murphy bed and the fact that he could close the pocket door and make the living room his private bedroom. The staff were all very nice and came to our rescue when we needed to stay an extra day. I can't thank them enough for helping us get a good deal. As far as people complaining about it being outdated; the manager informed us they will be remodeling later this year. I'm excited to see what they do! Best Western Ocean Reef Suites has our loyalty and we will gladly book with them again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the ocean view rooms; you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank seagoddess101

Reviewed June 6, 2012

i stayed here and paid 260 per night the room was clean. BUT we had a scary experience being stuck in their elevator for 20 minutes and was surprised to find that the emergency telephone on the elevator was not working!!!! they fixed it immediately the next day but i think this should NOT happen at anyone time! this never happened to me at any best western I have stayed at! Plus i actually expected more for the amount I paid for the room, in spite of that we still had a great time since the location of the hotel was very accessible to the beach and close to the Wright brothers memorial.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is a small, outdated, a bit dumpy place with a motel feel. The rooms were ok, quite outdated but clean. The bathroom was clean as well but can really use some major updating. Our room was on the second floor right next to the pool so we had to keep the curtains closed at all times to avoid people staring at us and could not use the balcony at all as there were people in the pool most of the time. No WiFi - we had to get a cord from the service desk to connect to the Internet. We only spent one night at Outer Banks so the place did not matter that much but for the price we paid it was not worth it. I would look for another place if we are ever back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellingblondgirl

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed at this Best Western May 30-June 3, 2012. I also stayed there about the same time last year. It seems to have gone a bit downhill since then. The staff was very friendly upon check-in, considering that Tropical Storm Beryl was barrelling into Kill Devil Hills at that moment. The floors in the room were not vacuumed or mopped and there was something sticky on the floor in the 'kitchen'. There were hairs left in the bathtub--not very appealing and there were hairbands left on the floor in the bedroom and living area. the next morning we put out some money and wrote a note to the cleaning person to please mop and vacuum the floors. The floors were cleaned the next day but the hair in the tub wasn't touched. Overall, the room seemed to be a bit tired looking and in need of an update. The pool wasn't cleaned until 2 days after the storm so there was a lot of mulch in and around the pool area the day after the storm (which was hot and sunny).I will probably stay somewhere else next year unless this hotel is updated.

Room Tip: The "Stop & Shop" across the street is excellent for gourmet sandwiches.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends