“Good meal with tired kids”

Jolly Roger Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We waited over 30 minutes for our table outside while the kids played on the rusty playground equipment at the back of the parking lot. The playground was great because it made the wait fun. We ordered the kids' food first and they liked the fish and chips a lot, weren't so into the boboli pizza. By the time the adult food arrived the kids were done and out of control so we had our meals packed up to eat at the hotel room. My fettuccini Alfredo was good, and my wife's fish was a little too lemony for her taste. The staff was friendly and a huge help as we got our things together to leave the restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We always seem to wind up here at least once during our OBX visit and always glad we did. The menu is expansive, something for everyone. The kids' menu is very reasonable and large so even the pickiest eater loves it, this is a huge plus as most vacationers have little ones in tow.

For the adults, don't forget to check out the specials on the board as you walk in. The salmon with tortellini last night was superb, albeit enough for 3 people, so good for us! leftovers for lunch today. The prime rib and seafood is always flavorful, plentiful and cooked perfectly. The soups and salads get eaten up quick. Haven't even had a chance to try the Italian dishes over the years but I'm sure they're even better as I'm sure breakfast hits the spot.

In many ways it reminds me of a really good diner in NJ/NY. This is a good thing! A really good diner offers a huge range of menu items and no matter what you order, whatever you happen to be in the mood for, they have it and it's good! A really good diner has personable staff that seem like they've worked there forever, don't miss a beat no matter what, and a hostess who really cares about the patrons. Jolly Roger has it down. Slow down, relax and enjoy. You may not get your food in 5 minutes but that means they are taking the time to prepare it right.

Not every menu item is a foodie's delight, but a lot are. And mostly, nothing we've had has been bad, it's all better than I would make at home, and I do have a few specialties.

The bar /lounge area looks like a really fun place for locals year round and for the people who work at neighboring restaurants after they get off duty. Any visitors who can hang in the bar/lounge would seem to be most welcome as well. Very reasonable prices for the beach, hefty portions and open late. Looking for a place to eat dinner at 9, they are serving. If you have to wait, wait. You'll wait most anywhere and you're here and it's great. I see they will take reservations so make them if you have a large crowd or on certain special nights like 9.99 prime rib night.

Sure the decor and server outfits are kitschy but so what, good for them, you're on vacation, enjoy the fun!

When we live here year round, I'm sure we'll be here once a week at least for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stopped for lunch your typical lunch food, Had to send burgers back too rare. They did however offer to make it right. The place was a little old and dirty for my taste. I wasn't too impressed.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Always go here for their delicious breakfast and friendly service. Never disappointed. Nice walk from hotel too and always enjoy the pirate décor and atmosphere.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We returned as part of our frequent visits to Sea Ranch Resort - just down the road, this time for breakfast. As can be expected for such a popular restaurant, the place was crowded. However, the were able to manage the crowd very efficiently and still deliver a great experience. Our server, Joey, was especially attentive, despite his burdensome work load.