“Where's Gordon Ramsay when you need him?”

Jolly Roger Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I fully expected to see him by the time I finished at this place. It had been recommended to me by the hotel desk clerk. The decor is sheer clutter: junkyard/pirate/Xmas, with Xmas being the unsettling majority (even though it was early Oct). The manager loudly questioned the lady who seated me (explaining that the woman was in training) about why she hadn't seated me elsewhere. I didn't appreciate being caught in the middle of that. The waiter persisted in sliding into my booth as he was taking my order (he did this twice!). (He also recommended that I NOT order one of the desserts I asked about.) When the seafood lasagna arrived, I discovered it had zero taste. It was doughy noodles and lots of cheese. Was there seafood in it? I didn't taste any. The waiter recommended red pepper flakes to give it flavor. This was accompanied by a side of spaghetti with marinara sauce that tasted straight out of the jar. I couldn't eat more than a few bites, and that because I was starving. Seriously, I checked around to see if Chef Ramsay might be busting into the joint (please!), spitting out food and the f-word. Avoid! Avoid! (They did offer me a gift certificate for next day lunch. I declined.) I have no idea why the desk clerk recommended this, but she did mention she'd had a beef dish.

4  Thank CarolStrick
Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Went here on the recommendation of hotel desk clerk. Our waiter was efficient, but not very personable. I noticed other wait staff much more outgoing. Food was good and portions fair, but it was just average. Check the Visitor Guide for an early bird special coupon that will save you $$.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our favorite breakfast location. We had every intention of stopping by for pasta after reading the reviews but ran out of time.

We enjoyed their omelets and homefried potatos with sauteed onions. If you get a chance try their $2.99 special with two eggs, choice of their wonderful homefries or grits, and thick sliced toast. What a value!

2  Thank Bilcalden
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was a really fun place to eat at! Great food and reasonable prices with alot of interesting things to look at! Will definitely come back!

2  Thank sailorboy02
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I live about 60 miles away, but get to the obx on business quite a bit. The JR is one of the older places on the beach, and is very popular with the locals, especially in the winter when the touristy places either shut down or severely cut back on their menu/food inventory. Their lasagna is famous up and down the beach. The seafood is usually very good, although this place does not pretend to be a seafood specialty restaurant. It's not glitzy, but if you want a nice meal at a good price, then this is the place.

2  Thank weeksvillejoe