“Love the Cavalier!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Cavalier by the Sea
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Like others, I must admit that I have extreme bias for the Cavalier.. I started coming here many years ago with my mom & grandparents.. my grandparents started coming here MANY years ago.. they would vacation every year at the Cavalier with a couple they were friends with. This year I carried on their tradition and went with my boyfriend, my best friend and her husband. We all split an oceanfront room and it was PERFECT. The bad reviews on here make me so sad.. if you are looking for a BEACH motel that doesn't have sand on the floor... I don't think you belong at the beach. :) I accept sand as a part of my life for the week when I go to the beach. And of course there are bugs.. you are on ground level! I have absolutely no complaints about the Cavalier. I LOVE IT! I don't think you can beat their oceanfront rooms.. the view is absolutely amazing, no dunes in your way.. nothing in your way. On our stay, we had one day that was mostly rainy. It didn't even matter, we sat out on porch and still enjoyed the ocean view. I included a photo collage, all of the pictures in it were taken from our porch! I highly recommend staying here.. I guarantee you will meet someone who has been coming to stay there year after year. :)

Room Tip: I HIGHLY recommend the oceanfront rooms.. you seriously can't beat the view.. but be warned, onc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Amanda B

Reviewed September 3, 2013

First of all I have to admit my bias for this motel - our family has vacationed here almost 20 of the 29 years we have lived in North Carolina. We found out about the Cavalier through family friends and have been going back year after year. When you first pull in to the parking lot you can see that the facility has some age on it; I believe it was built in the late 1940s. However, the staff does an excellent job keeping up the buildings. The rooms are clean and spacious, and what I like best about the motel is that (on the ocean side) you walk down five wooden steps and you are right on the beach. When you think about carrying umbrellas, childrens toys, coolers, etc. this is a huge advantage. Most of the people we meet at the Cavalier are also return visitors. I think the people who come back year after year love the place for what it is. It's nice to see places like this on the beach instead of the high-rise complexes. If you want a quiet beach vacation I would recommend booking an ocean side room at the Cavalier.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JW55_11
Reviewed August 26, 2013

first off I want to say that the staff was really nice. I changed my reservations three times with no problems and upon checking in She was very friendly; I can't remember her name. It is convenient to the beach, shopping, and restaurants. The price was good compared to other hotels. Upon walking to the room I thought, Hey this isn't too bad. It was outdated and small, but seemed clean. I thought it was a little tacky that there was a clothes line outfront to hang your towels. Most hotels don't want you to hang the towels from a balcony because it just looks bad. That was the least of my problems. The problem I had was that the bathroom was so small and the shower head was leaking and it was spraying water all over the place. I had to constantly soak up the water with towels. I also noticed that there was one of this spider cricket things in the corner which was probably there because of the moisture. The floor felt like there still was some sand. Also, at night we saw a couple of bugs that were probably roaches. They moved so quickly I didnt have time to see exactly what they were. I was only there for 2 nights so I just stuck it out. Needless to stay is that I probably won't be back. Judging from the other reviews, it seems to be better if you do not stay in the economy rooms. You really do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: The best rooms seem to be the oceanfront. Do not get the economy room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kiki J
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My parents took me to the Cavalier for family vacation when I was 2 months old, back in '77. We went back every year for about 15 years and still go back now every few years. We've never stayed anywhere else and probably wouldn't go to the beach if we couldn't get a room at the Cavalier. It really is that much of a part of our family tradition.

I've stayed at luxury hotels in major cities...I live in the DC area. The Cavalier isn't fancy. It doesn't have a spa, a gym, or a sauna...none of the things to keep you inside when you're AT THE BEACH! The rooms are quaint and have a very vintage feel. Every room has a small porch area, a set of chairs, and a screen door. It really feels like you're in a beach cottage (they do have those, by the way). Even the rooms that are the very farthest from the beach are about a 1 minute walk away. Some rooms are beach-front and your door is literally 7 feet from the sand, just beyond your porch...and the view is spectacular.

The larger hotels are just far enough down the road to keep the beach near the Cavalier uncrowded even during the busiest week. Walk a half-mile down the beach, to where other hotels' umbrellas are lined up right next to each other, and you'll appreciate this

The staff are friendly and the hotel definitely has a family feel...it is family owned! During the summer, there are weekly dinnertime cookouts with live music in the "court" by the pool and games area. You really feel like you're part of a community there.

Truly, after staying at the Cavelier exclusively dozens of times spanning 5 decades now, I can't imagine an Outer Banks vacation that didn't include it.

Room Tip: Beach-front rooms are great, but all rooms are less than 1 minute to the beach. They also have cott...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank April S
Reviewed August 8, 2013

It is refreshing to know I can still find a place to stay that is clean, comfortable, and within a normal person's price range. The added and biggest bonus is the ability to take my "girls" with me without breaking the bank. The staff is friendly in true Southern style. I arrived October 28 2012, the day hurricane Sandy was hitting Kill Devil Hills and moving up the coast. We were driving down the coast from Penna. The staff called me several times during the trip to see if we were ok. As the trip clearly took a little longer they made arrangements for after hours in the event we got in later. Who does that anymore? Great, caring people.
After reading some of the reviews, I sit laughing at their pettiness. Did they forget they were on vacation and this was thier choice? I say if you wanted consierge service and the most modern of decor, amenities, and furnishings, you should have gone elsewhere. Afterall, there are no misleading ads or hidden areas. There are pictures, of all type rooms and cottages in detail, that show clearly what you are getting for well below average pricing.
Being there the week after the hurricane hit I was lucky to meet and enjoy the company of other people staying at the Cavalierer. Fortunately ,none of them were whiners and/or those with the nit-picking (and I believe some with completely false statements) reviews. Suppose there will always be that small element trying to get something for nothing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went to the Cavalier Motel in NC with our children and their friend last week. The staff was friendly and answered all of our questions. We loved it. We had a 3 bedroom cottage that was clean and spacious. We couldn't have asked for a better, more relaxing vacation. The pool was great, the beach and the ocean was amazing. We have already booked our trip for next year. My kids told us that this was a better vacation than the Disney vacation that we took in December! WOW! Great value and location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Overall for the money, it was a nice place: Clean, right on the beach, nice pool, free coffee in the office every morning, even had a complimentary party w/music, hot dogs.
The guests were fun to be with. One lady at the deck who checked us in, could have definitely been more cordial.
Only real problem: not enough hot water, for 5 day stay, could only get luke-warm water. My husband was very disappointed with this situation. Overall, really did enjoy our stay. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the last 2 rooms by the street on either side, too much road noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple