“Good Stay”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Chesapeake
“Good Stay”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Hotel was nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful, Room was clean when we arrived. King size bed was VERY comfortable.... I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

nagsheadbeachhotel, Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

We do hear quite often about how comfortable our beds are. I am glad you found the hotel to be clean and that you slept well. We do take pride in our staff as well. It is so important to provide a great place to sleep as well as good customer service.

I do hope you will visit with us again soon. If I can assist you in anyway please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sherrie Cahoon
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I chose the hotel based on the reviews only. Since the property rating are all very similar in the area (2-3 stars). And I'd like to mention that I've stayed at budget hotels many times all over the country. Boy where the reviews were misleading for this property! Booked through hotels.com and the pictures on their site where completely misleading. The beds have those questionable blankets on them, the beds are lumpy, the carpet is dirty, and the bathtub had black soot on the bottom. Not to mention that some of the tile was cracked, and there was dust on some surfaces. I expected the hotel to be "tired" just from the price point, but that was not the issue (although, it is VERY tired).
Also, the hotel is not on the beach nor can you see the beach from the hotel rooms (maybe if you're at the top floor), it is across the street, but very close. We called hotels.com and spoke with the front desk about our concerns, in a very mild manner. Neither were accommodating. The hotel wouldn't even switch our room to try to resolve our concerns. Then, at two am, we received a knock on the door from the night clerk saying we were too loud. We are not a group of rowdy teenagers and were ready to fall asleep when the knock came. He simply barked at us and walked away without waiting for a reply. We were so shaken by the disturbance, we no longer felt safe staying at the hotel. He didn't mention that there was a complaint, and we were not loud. When we mentioned the incident to the manager she simply said "huh, he didn't make a note". We really couldn't stay another night and checked out the next morning. Really ruined the entire trip, TERRIBLE experience. Go ANYWHERE else...DO NOT STAY HERE! The hotels are not amazing in the area, but the days in looked much better at the same price point and that one IS on the beach. The Ramada is probably the best option in the immediate area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
I am very sorry the reservation you booked through the third party (EXPEDIA) was not the ocean front room you had desired. If you had called our hotel directly I can assure you the staff at this hotel never would attempt to mislead you. I know you said when you booked with Expedia you thought you were booking an ocean front property. We do not misrepresent ourselves in any way. Expedia's website does not indicate we are ocean front and they informed us that you actually booked online and did not book directly by phone with them.

We are across the street from the ocean with the beach access directly in front of the hotel. It is a quick very convenient walk from the hotel to the beach. We do have a nice ocean view from the ocean view rooms but this was not the room type you reserved with Expedia.

Although we can not control what third party companies may or may not say to guest booking directly with them, any misleading information given by the third party to a guest who is booking our hotel is not condoned by the hotel. It is our goal to always provide detailed information to all of our guest who book directly with the hotel. I am very sorry that Expedia was unable to satisfy your issues with them. However, we did not mislead you. Our hotel is very clean and well maintained. We are one of the newest hotels on the Outer Banks. Your true issue as you told me several times was actually the location and the room type they reserved you. You had a two double bedroom with a pool view. This is the lowest priced room we have at our property. The pool is on the west side of the building so there is no way you would have had an ocean view from the room type you reserved.

As I discussed with you the morning after your arrival we did have multiple complaints all during the night with regard to the noise coming from your room and our night auditor did have to go to your door twice before we were able to quiet you and the other young ladies in your room down so that the complaints stopped. You were in the very last room at the far end of the hall and you could be heard all the way down the hall to the elevators by my night associate. We run a family friendly property and we have rules all guest must abide by for the safety and well being of everyone staying with us. When we get a complaint we must follow up on it. When we get multiple complaints at 2 and 3 am from guest in several different rooms we have to take action.

As you are aware I inspected this room before your departure and the tub was very clean. The bottom of the tubs have a slip resistant surface that is a little darker than the white sides of the tub. There was no black soot as you stated in the tub what so ever! The tubs were all coated this past January and as I explained to you the tub floor surface is a little darker because of the slip resistant safety coating we had installed.

You state in your complaint that we refused to relocate you. You did not want to stay here from the time you walked into the building. You refused to stay because we were not on the ocean. You did not want to be relocated within the hotel you wanted to be relocated to an ocean front hotel. We could not relocate you to an ocean front property like you requested. As I explained to you, you booked and paid Expedia. We did not mislead you, any issues with what Expedia may or may not have told you were between you and them with regard to incorrect information, etc. We can not control the third parties. It is always in your best interest to book with the hotel directly so that any questions you may have are addressed honestly and correctly. I am sorry Expedia found no cause to reimburse you or relocate you.

I can assure you that we take pride in our property, our customer service and the cleanliness and care of our rooms. If there is an issue with anything during someones stay with us we always do what we can to take care of the issue. The only issue I can not fix is our location. We are across the street from the beach and we do not claim to be anywhere other than where we are. I am very sorry your vacation was not what you had hoped. We always want everyone staying with us to enjoy their stay. It is our ultimate goal. It was obvious from our conversation that no matter what I said you were not going to be happy because you wanted to be on the ocean. I am very sorry that you booked with a third party and did not book the correct room type or location. I do hope you will book directly with the next property you choose. It is always the best option based on years of experience in this industry.

Sherrie Cahoon
Hotel Manager
DeWitt, Michigan
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Proximity to the beach was amazing. The hotel is directly the street across from the public access beach. My husband and I had an ocean view room on the 4th floor and it was beautiful! The bed was very comfortable. The sheets and towels were clean.
The carpet was sticky. I wore socks the entire time and the bottoms of my socks were brown after walking around the room for only a couple of hours. The shower curtain had some black spots. There were black spots around the bath drain and the tiles on the bottom of the bathtub.
I am sure that it is difficult to keep the carpets clean in a beach community, but the stickiness was a little too much for me personally.
Overall though, this hotel was a great value in a great location!

• Stayed September 2013
nagsheadbeachhotel, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience with us. We do have great views and private balconies so you can enjoy the beautiful view of the ocean in a ocean view room. We receive many complements on our comfortable beds and linens. In regards to the carpet we hope that our guest always will let us know of any issues so we can address and take care of it. We hope you will return and stay with us again it is always our goal to offer great service and a clean room for our guest during there stay. If we can assist or help you please feel free to call us directly at 252-441-0411.
Front Desk'
Tabitha Jewell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills? Share your experiences!