“Much better than I expected!”
Review of Sea Ranch Resort

Sea Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We booked this place for a college reunion. We stayed in the suites. Everything was very nice. Fully equipped kitchen. Can't beat the location. It's walking distance to two restaurants: Goombays and the Jolly Roger. The staff was very friendly at check in. The restaurant food was very good. We even got a free meal for Mother's Day. Some waitresses were great, others needed a lot more training. We want to come back, but our friend needs a handicapped accessible bath tub. Maybe by next year, at least one suite can be renovated.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time and the convenient location! If travels bring you back to the Outer Banks, we do hope you will choose to stay with us again at the Sea Ranch Resort!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

The first thought I had when entering the two bed/bath oceanfront condo was entirely about the amazing view. You can't really be any closer to the ocean without actually being in it. My second thought was how worn down the condo was. Stained, ripped carpeting; ragged furniture; ripped screens. I understand they have a renovation planned for this coming off season (the final stage in a three-phase reno for the entire property), and I'm sure that will be quite an improvement. I have to clarify that though the condition of the condo was rough, the cleanliness was not in question. I had zero issues with the way the rooms had been cared for by the cleaning staff. However, during the stay I encountered a few different problems, including a door lock that quit working out of the blue (thankfully, someone was in the condo to let me in!), and some of those problems required me to take trips from the room to the separate lobby, not the shortest trip in the world. I understand the front desk clerks can't leave the desk, but it would certainly help to have staff that was available to come to the guest. Probably one of the most disappointing aspects of the room was the fact that our phenomenal view quickly became obscured by sea spray and condensation that built up on the glassed-in porch. What had once been an amazing oceanfront view suddenly disappeared, at which point we may as well have been in an oceanside room. I don't know how any human could keep that from happening, and I'm sure those in charge of the remodel will come up with a different idea for the porches.

It also serves to mention that the building is older and is somewhat difficult to maneuver in, especially when carrying luggage or beach paraphernalia. I only noticed a central elevator and some staircases at the sides, so you definitely get a workout.

The included breakfast was quite lovely. Never had a complaint there. And the restaurant itself has a beautiful ocean view.

Ultimately, a stay that had tons of potential was somewhat marred by some property difficulties that added stress rather than relieved it. However, I will add that I alerted management about my concerns and was treated with fairness and respect, including receiving an offer of an additional night's stay. So while I can't wholeheartedly recommend Sea Ranch, I hope to be able to sometime in the future. I have high hopes they can work out the kinks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeneats

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously, and I’m sorry that you did not find value in your stay due the issues you faced and the overall condition of our condo-style suite not meeting your expectations. There are plans for a re-model in the suites this coming off season. This will bring several upgrades to the suites. We hope that you will keep your eye out for updates as we come into the fall & winter 2015!

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to the opportunity to exceeding your expectations during your next visit!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful (we arrived late in the evening and were exhausted) with a quick check in. The room and bathroom were very clean and the carpet throughout the part we stayed in was brand new. The room was equiped with a larger than dorm-sized fridge, a microwave which came in handy and a single cup coffee pot which I enjoyed because I got a freshly brewed cup every time! Even though the parking lot was nearly full to capacity, there was no noise once we got in our room like places. The beds were extremely comfortable with nice pillows unlike a lot of hotels I've stayed in. I would certainly stay here again and would recommend the Sea Ranch to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback! I am so happy to hear that the staff took such good care of you and will be sure to share this with them! I am also excited to hear that the accommodations exceeded your expectations! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We booked a quick family getaway in the two bedroom - two bathroom condos. The ocean view and enclosed balcony were perfect. We brought items to cook in our fully equiped kitchen, and enjoyed being close to all of the best spots in the outer banks area. The bedrooms were comfy and the entire condo was very clean. The whole family enjoyed using the enclosed balcony and I loved waking up each day to that amazing view. We will definately return for another stay in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and found our location to be a great home base for all of the Outer Banks attractions you visited during your trip! We appreciate you taking the time to post this great review and look forward to seeing you in the future very soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had a 2 bedroom condo that was an oceanfront room. The enclosed balcony was great because the weather was in the 50's at night. The kitchen was well equipped (bring your own salt, pepper and coffee). Bed was comfortable and the ocean view was faboulous. The on site restaurant had good food reasonably priced. Will stay here again if we come back to the area. The Wright Brothers National Memorial was about a mile away. There are many attractions within a short drive. Beach access great. - didn't use the pool.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

I am glad to hear that you all enjoyed your stay! Many of our guest comment on how much they enjoy the the enclosed oceanfront balconies in the suites when the weather is cooler and/or rainy!

There are so many things to do with in minutes of our location! We hope that you are able to get back out this way and do a little more exploring! We look forward to having you back!

Thanks for taking the time to share your review!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Granted we booked online and might have not hit all the right buttons, but our room was nothing like all the wonderful reviews. No ocean views, not even an indoor community sitting area to look at the ocean. Our room was in the smaller street side building (no elevator). We stayed 3 nights midweek. They did not seem fully booked. We had to wait for the desk clerk to have a phone conversation for quite a while before the desk clerk acknowledged us. Finally my husband got out his credit card and driver's license and laid it on the counter to start the procedure. We were acknowledged and continued the phone conversation during the process. The clerk was nice, just clueless. We did check in late the first night, and were very tired from driving, and did not want to go through the hassle again, so we did not asked to be moved to another room. We stayed out of the room as much as possible so the benefit was that we saw lots of the area. The room was dark, musty smelling, the bedspread smelled like wet dogs. The bed was a basic king. The room was large, with a couch, table and chairs and a TV (did not watch). The internet was not strong enough in our room to load pages before timing out. The desk clerk suggested I call the internet service provider and have it fixed. The internet only worked in the check in/front desk area (with the television blaring). The on-site restaurant was closed, which was not mentioned when we booked. I might not have been so disappointed had we not picked this place specifically from photos and reviews in anticipation for a great first visit to the area for my husband.

Room Tip: There is a smaller building next to the road, that is not shown which has no elevator or views (buil...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moondance274
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend, and it was very nice. Not fancy, but clean and pleasant. The staff was so sweet! I would definitely recommend it to anyone lucky enough to go Kill Devil Hills. They have a nice pool (indoor, heated), so you can swim even when the weather isn't accommodating. They have a nice café and had music there on the weekend.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed so much about your recent stay with us! I will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff, and we all look forward to having you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Sea Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!