“Unacceptably horrible!”
Review of Sea Ranch Resort

Sea Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband & I booked a king oceanfront room for our anniversary weekend. We booked through expedia because the hotel said they didn't have any rooms left. I questioned expedia when we booked how they could sell a room that was sold out. They said they purchase blocks of rooms from the hotels that they can sell. Upon arriving on Friday at 4, we were told they were out of the room we booked so they were "upgrading" us to a 2 room condo. We got into the condo to find a dirty smell, outdated cabinets, very worn furniture & a ripped screen on the balcony that was glass enclosed. The room we booked & saw on the website showed all rooms renovated in spring of 2012. This hadn't seen an upgrade ever. We contacted expedia immediately who contacted the hotel but they said they had no other accommodations. No one ever responded how our room was given to someone else. After an hour, the hotel agreed to refund our money in full. My husband & I drive from hotel to hotel to find some place that wasn't booked as there was the Taste of OBX going on this same weekend. I'm not sure who to blame for this, expedia or the hotel but ultimately, I blame the hotel for apparently overbooking rooms that were not available. And also that they thought we were so gullible to think they were actually upgrading us.

6  Thank Becky B
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

I am very sorry that your reservation booked through Expedia became so problematic. As we do allocate/block a number of rooms to third party booking agencies, there is the occasional overbooking because they are not directly tied into our availability. I am sorry that the two bedroom suite that you were offered did not meet your expectations.

Our hotel guest rooms on the oceanfront were completely renovated in 2012 as the first phase of our three part renovation. This winter, the same process took place in our Oceanside (main building) hotel guest rooms and the suites will be the next phase.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your experience, if you could please contact me, Barbara at the Sea Ranch. I'd like to extend an offer to have you back to have a positive experience and enjoy the restaurant and other amenities offered here.

Best regards.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

While travelling in the coldest part of february it seems, our spirits were warmed by the warm and friendly staff of Sea Ranch. I loved the 2 doors on the room giving us a great view of all things Kitty Hawk. Laying in bed and seeing the sun come up was magic for this Northern Climate girl desperate for the warmth of the south. Alas we braved the bitter cold and stood out on the deck to watch the sun rise. Thank you to the Lady at the front desk for giving me this spectacular view. The staff was just fantastic. We ate a meal in the bar downstairs one night and thoroughly enjoyed the local feeling of friendliness there. The waiter/bartender was awesome. Especially when this tired soul had a duh moment and left her purse in the bar. He ran after us to the hall almost immediately. Thank you. I said it before and I will say it again. I have never met an American I didn't like. So friendly and helpful. I bet this is a happening spot in the summer.

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor for an awesome view. Go when its warmer out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crashtester9
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thanks for your review! I hope you be able to return for a summer getaway and see for yourself how fun summer is here on the Outer Banks. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff. They all work very hard to deliver you (our guests) with a pleasurable experience! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This was my first time ever to the outer banks and I did a lot of research on hotels. When my boyfriend and I decided on the sea ranch resort little did I know it was going to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The people that work in this hotel are so friendly! If you have any questions about anything they will try and answer them! Even when we checked in at 2 am the front desk guy was very friendly. :) it is very close to everything! they also upgraded us for free. So we ended up getting the balcony room. I was so excited that we actually got the balcony because we had almost 70 degree weather in march, so we spent a lot of time out there. we will most certainly be coming back to the sea ranch resort.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jbdenny1292

I am very happy to hear that we were able to exceed all of your expectations during your visit. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Our family had a cottage in OBX when I was a kid, and I have visited there all my life. The Sea Ranch has been there for at least that long, and I remembered it and booked it for our brief vacation in off-season. It was just fine: clean and nice, and our room practically in the ocean. The staff was friendly and we had no complaints. The only sour note was when my husband, discovering he had left his phone charger, called to ask if it could be sent and was told "we need a credit card number to send it COD. He was kind of peeved at this and told them to forget it. A poorly-trained night clerk can mess up the whole mix.... Otherwise, our stay was just fine. Oh: it may just be me, but the bed was EXCRUCIATING! Good pillows and pillow-top mattress, but I got up stiff and sore.

Room Tip: If you want a view, this is the place to go.
2  Thank Eklutna

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. I apologize for any confusion that was communicated regarding the return of your charger. Our procedure for items left behind would be to send them to you VIA USPS COD at your request. I will be sure to address proper explanation of our return policy to all of our front desk staff. I am glad to see that overall, your stay was a good experience and hope that you will not allow this miscommunication to prevent you from returning in the future. We'd love to have you back.

Best regards.

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

The hotel... let's be honest... isn't the main attraction at a place like OBX. Clean rooms and a GREAT restaurant were just a nice perk to the great area.

The view from the room were AMAZING and the staff was absolutely wonderful!

John Romm and the kitchen and bar staff were fantastic!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank aaltrup

Thanks for your review! I will be sure to pass your kind words regarding the restaurant on to the Chef and staff! We hope you can make it back for a visit soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Room was very comfortable, felt like home. Staff was very friendly! View was awesome! We will definitely stay again! Only downside was the indoor heated pool was closed during our visit and not expected to open until March 15th. Access to an indoor heated pool was a big reason we selected this property so to arrive and find that the pool was closed was very disappointing, but overall our stay was great.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are well worth the extra $ - View is INCREDIBLE! Feel as if you are standing right...
1  Thank William H

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay! Unfortunately, our pool was closed during the time of your stay due to a part on order. We apologize for that. We are now back up and running! We also offer all of our guests complimentary passes to our local YMCA that offers an indoor swimming pool in addition to all of the other amenities they offer. I hope that you were able to enjoy this!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

ALways love staying here!! Great hotel, great service...never want to leave. Literally steps to get to the ocean, its so close!! Off season you are given vouchers for bfast at Jolly Rogers which is delicious!! The service is outstanding here, and they go out of there way to meet your expectations. Each time we come back, we will be staying here!! Had a great time this past weekend and the room was nice and cozy Fri night when we arrived even through the weather was not. OUr room was cleaned sat when we left to go to the ferry for Okracoke for the day. I found this hotel on accident in Nov though groupon, and Im so glad I did. I look forward to coming back again soon!

Room Tip: Close to ocean, condo rooms (king 2 twin) have enclosed balconies if you like to sit on the porch du...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Crystal_G377

Thank you for coming back and spending another memorable Outer Banks getaway with us! We would love for you to come back and enjoy some of the summer fun with us! Feel free to give us a call if we can help plan your next stay!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Sea Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!