“My New Go To Place in the OBX”
Review of Sea Ranch Resort

Sea Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed October 27, 2013

As I spend my last day here, I wanted to share the wonderful experience that the Sea Ranch Resort has provided me. I originally purchased a Groupon Voucher for an Oceanside room, as no oceanfront rooms were available. Oceanside is actually a parking lot view. The day before check in, I checked the availability of an oceanfront and one was available. I called the resort and spoke to Maryann. Her customer service and friendliness was superb!!! Not only did she allow me to change my reservation to an oceanfront, she also honored my AAA card for the remaining balance. When I arrived, I couldn't believe how beautiful this place is. The resort is literally on the ocean; if I fall off the balcony I'm on the beach. Most places have that "beachy, sometimes musty" smell. Not the Sea Ranch Resort. It is immaculate, clean smelling, GORGEOUS ocean view, roomy, a fitness room that is available, a dining facility that gives you 15 percent off if you mention you are a customer here( I didn't take advantage of that as I have my favorite places here in the OBX), a pool(also did not use that, so can't comment, but it is enclosed but still available) Housekeeping did an outstanding job each day. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this facility. I look forward to coming back sooner than later. Thank you Sea Ranch for making a quick getaway a wonderful and peaceful experience.

Room Tip: Oceanside = Parking lot view Oceanfront = well, the ocean :-)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

But I'm pretty sure that's because of erosion. I would guess when the hotel was built, the water wasn't so close at high tide. :)

The room was lovely. It was simple and clean, with the all important two sinks (you have no idea how nice it is to have a sink separate from the bathroom until you travel with people).

Housekeeping was prompt, and the woman was exceptionally nice. We didn't eat on site, or use the pool, so I can't comment on those. But the room was a good one at a good price. And what an amazing view.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank BabeinWoods
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

We appreciate you choosing Sea Ranch Resort! There’s nothing like a great location and we’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay!

Whenever you visit the Outer Banks, it will be our pleasure to have you with us again. Thanks for recommending us on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had booked a two queen room with VIEW,,,in the hotel pictured on a site we used which had a delightful picture of a balcony with two chairs looking out over the ocean.We were given a motel room on the second floor walkup of the original building with a view of the parking lot.We called ahead to confirm our reservation and were told come in and let them know so they can call us when our room was ready,before four pm,never a mention that a wedding was booked and had taken the entire hotel side! Having never been in this area before I had not known there was a motel too.The staff was rude upon my arrival and took my cell phone to call me but did not make a call,came after 430 to get a room and then after we asked for the general manager,offered a room for the next night at additional fees for the rest of our stay!We went next day and after the staff again checked with the general manager which we did not see,were given a room with a view in the hotel,after I paid more money off season??,the room was dirty and we had to move again,as staff apoligized she had looked at the wrong room!Finally got a key to a nice room for the rest of our stay.Bistro was closed and coupons to Jolly Roger were handed to us as had paid for breakfast included.The indoor pool was not heated and dirty!The workout room was locked and not available!Just not as the ads tell you! Buyer Beware!Ocean side has no ocean near it only parking lot!Totally misrepresented and callous inept staff and GM that could care less about her guests!

Room Tip: Higher floors in the Hotel had decent rooms and a great balcony view with the ocean below.Oceanfront...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I’m sorry to hear that your experience wasn't a pleasant one. We do offer three room types at the Sea Ranch Resort, Oceanfront, Oceanfront Condo Style Suites, Oceanside (which do not have oceanviews). I am sorry that you were under the impression that the room had an oceanfront view. I would like to look into your reservation and speak to you regarding your recent stay and what you encountered. This is not a typical guest experience! Please contact me directly at info@searanchresort.com.

Thank you for updating us on your experience.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Of course we would choose a week to stay that had torrential downpours! That's just how we roll. I'll cut right to the chase:
The Good: Check-in was easy. We stayed in the condos, and they were very spacious. The condo had a full size kitchen, island/bar area, dining for 6, sleeper sofa, chair, king bed in one bedroom, twin beds in another bedroom, and 2 bathrooms. The resort is right on the beach, so you get an upfront view of the ocean. The sound is great to fall asleep to, and occasionally in the morning you can see a dolphin or two playing around. The front office staff was very nice and accommodating. There are grocery stores nearby, Avalon fishing pier is right down the road, there is a restaurant on-site, Jeanette's Pier isn't too far away, and there are lots of little stores. The beds were comfortable and everything worked the way it should electronics-wise. The washer/dryer was a bonus! The pool was warm and a nice retreat considering the ocean was rather angry and coming up to the dunes.
The Bad: There have been posts about ants, and we did find some in the kitchen, but it was not overrun with them. I went and bought a little 3 dollar Raid ant bait and it took care of the problem. We also noticed an ottoman with a leg not quite on the right way, and we reported that right after check-in. No biggie either. We're pretty simple people. The rain was enough where the balcony area (glass enclosed) kept getting water in it, but the really nice maintenance man came up very promptly and wet-vacuumed. There was a weird smell one evening upon returning because of the water build-up, but once vacuumed, it went away. Please be forewarned that the condos are self-efficient for the most part. Please check the beds, etc. prior. The front office staff is great when it comes to fixing things. Unfortunately, I did not look close enough and found a couple of nasty stains on the mattress protector and under the comforter upon a chance the night before we left. We made sure to rewash all the dishes prior to using them as well.
Recommendations for property: The balconies either need to have the glass removed, replaced, or caulking redone. The elevators could use some updating, but they serve their purpose. Another suggestion is to have a serious discussion with the housekeeping staff. While we are used to staying in condos and know what it entails, it is just not good for business or appearances when housekeeping is too busy to acknowledge something because they are too busy talking on their cell phones. One of the stains on the bed would've been VERY noticeable during a linen change, which made me wonder if the linen had been changed or if they just didn't bother to do anything about it. That one I just cannot overlook.

All in all, the reason I gave this property an overall very good rating is because of the front office staff, the very nice maintenance man (who was working very hard trying to keep up with the water!), the price was reasonable, and the condos were rather large. I would more than likely stay here again, but would look more carefully at bedding upon check-in next time.

Room Tip: To get the best view, ask for a condo on the 4th or 5th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CrystalH98

Thanks for taking the time to review the Sea Ranch! We certainly appreciate your honesty regarding your stay! We will be sure to address all concerns that you have mentioned with housekeeping and also give recognition to the staff that exceeded your expectations! We hope you will visit us again in the near future!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The accommodations live up to the name resort. Our room was right on the beach...the sound of waves, the ocean spray, the birds...plus it was absolutely beautiful seeing the moon shine on the ocean...the sun rises were beautiful too. Our room was clean, modern and very comfortable. The pool was clean and well cared for. There was also a large amount of parking areas.

We were given vouchers for a free breakfast each day down the road at the Jolly Roger....a complete hot breakfast for free(we had a choice of four different breakfasts). It was a short walk.

We will return! Love this place!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I am so happy to hear that we were able to meet all of your expectations and that you had a great time here! We look forward to seeing you back!

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I love it here. Our room was right on the beach; I could almost reach out and touch the water. The rates were reasonable, and the inclosed pool was nice for taking a dip in the off season. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks for your review! We hope you will visit the Sea Ranch Resort again soon!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Right on the beach! Rooms are very nice. You do not have the musty feel you get with a lot of beachfront property. Our balcony was great with plenty of room to sit and enjoy the view. The Restaurant and bar are very good. We were there during restaurant week. We were sitting on the deck enjoying a cocktail in the afternoon when the chef brought us samples to try from the evening menu. There were excellent. Guess where we had dinner! We have friends in VIrginia Beach we had not seen since they moved from DFW area. They wanted to come spend the evening with us and stay the night, but the property has a 2 night minimum policy. When they explained the situation to the desk clerk they gracefully waived the policy and let them stay one night and with a very good rate. Would absolutely recommend for an Outer Banks vacation or just a couple on nights stay.

Room Tip: Stay in a beachfront room. They are not that much more than an oceanview and are worth the differenc...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pssprinkle

Thank you for sharing your Sea Ranch experience! Sounds like you all were able to enjoy ALL of the great amenities and convenient location! We Hope that you will visit us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Sea Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!