Of course we would choose a week to stay that had torrential downpours! That's just how we roll. I'll cut right to the chase:
The Good: Check-in was easy. We stayed in the condos, and they were very spacious. The condo had a full size kitchen, island/bar area, dining for 6, sleeper sofa, chair, king bed in one bedroom, twin beds in another bedroom, and 2 bathrooms. The resort is right on the beach, so you get an upfront view of the ocean. The sound is great to fall asleep to, and occasionally in the morning you can see a dolphin or two playing around. The front office staff was very nice and accommodating. There are grocery stores nearby, Avalon fishing pier is right down the road, there is a restaurant on-site, Jeanette's Pier isn't too far away, and there are lots of little stores. The beds were comfortable and everything worked the way it should electronics-wise. The washer/dryer was a bonus! The pool was warm and a nice retreat considering the ocean was rather angry and coming up to the dunes.
The Bad: There have been posts about ants, and we did find some in the kitchen, but it was not overrun with them. I went and bought a little 3 dollar Raid ant bait and it took care of the problem. We also noticed an ottoman with a leg not quite on the right way, and we reported that right after check-in. No biggie either. We're pretty simple people. The rain was enough where the balcony area (glass enclosed) kept getting water in it, but the really nice maintenance man came up very promptly and wet-vacuumed. There was a weird smell one evening upon returning because of the water build-up, but once vacuumed, it went away. Please be forewarned that the condos are self-efficient for the most part. Please check the beds, etc. prior. The front office staff is great when it comes to fixing things. Unfortunately, I did not look close enough and found a couple of nasty stains on the mattress protector and under the comforter upon a chance the night before we left. We made sure to rewash all the dishes prior to using them as well.
Recommendations for property: The balconies either need to have the glass removed, replaced, or caulking redone. The elevators could use some updating, but they serve their purpose. Another suggestion is to have a serious discussion with the housekeeping staff. While we are used to staying in condos and know what it entails, it is just not good for business or appearances when housekeeping is too busy to acknowledge something because they are too busy talking on their cell phones. One of the stains on the bed would've been VERY noticeable during a linen change, which made me wonder if the linen had been changed or if they just didn't bother to do anything about it. That one I just cannot overlook.
All in all, the reason I gave this property an overall very good rating is because of the front office staff, the very nice maintenance man (who was working very hard trying to keep up with the water!), the price was reasonable, and the condos were rather large. I would more than likely stay here again, but would look more carefully at bedding upon check-in next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the room accommodations that reflect a coastal color palette and modern room finishes that will create a relaxing and comfortable space for your stay. Convenient on-site amenities include an enclosed heated pool (seasonal),fitness center, outside picnic area and grill. The Sea Ranch also welcomes you to our oceanfront restaurant, the Beachside Bistro, which offers a delightful menu with a focus on American Coastal Cuisine. Join us in the dining room or on our deck where you can soak in the beautiful ocean view! Beachfront Resort: All rooms on the oceanfront and main building include: microwaves, refrigerators, Cable TV and Internet. Oceanfront Suites: 2 BR / 2 Bath fully equipped, condo style suites. Each suite offers a fully equipped kitchen, washer & dryer and living room with a sleeper sofa! Minimum of a 2 night stay required in season. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sea Ranch Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea Ranch Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Sea Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Sea Ranch Resort Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills