“Would go back!”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Beloit, Wisconsin
“Would go back!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The room was exactly as pictured on their website, the view was awesome! We had one issue which when brought to the attention of the hotel was promptly addressed and corrected. Food was good, housekeeping good, staff all very pleasant.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are exactly that- well worth the extra cost! AND we saw a pod of dolphins swim...
1 Thank nugnrose
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your review! We hope when you return to the Outer Banks, you will choose the Sea Ranch Resort again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed September 21, 2013

There is such an awesome view from the ocean front rooms. You can stand by balcony and feel the mist from the waves. We slept with our patio door open and the sound of waves crashing onto shore lulled us into deep peaceful sleep.
Bistro fantastic. They need to stretch their deck to triple its size so there is more open-air seating to enjoy the nightly talent and eat the wonderful delectable meals the chef prepares. We ate inside due to lack of table space outside.
Drawbacks: the front desk isn't so nice and polite. Complained about our changing our stay from four to two nights although we had done it a month earlier. She let me know it made her job harder. She complained that we wanted extra towels. She complained that we were promised free breakfasts and said, "somebody's heads at Booking.com are gonna roll". Said she was giving us the "free breakfasts coupons, but reluctantly." Very very rude. Her badge said, "Guest services supervisor" and I felt sorry for anyone she would supervise, lol
I would return again for the view and the food. Worth dealing with the mad front desk lady. They would get a five star if it weren't for her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AniLew
Thank you for your review of the Sea Ranch Resort and Bistro. I regret to hear that your front desk experience was unpleasant and your comments will be shared to help ensure this does not happen in the future. We do pride on providing all of our guests with great service and we are surprised to hear this took place.

If you'd like to discuss this with me personally, feel free to contact me at info@searanchresort.com or by calling 800.334.4737. I would like the opportunity to have you back and do what I can to ensure you a great guest experience.
Cary, NC
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I very much enjoyed our two nights’ stay at the Sea Ranch Hotel in mid-September, and we definitely would plan to stay there the next we travel to that area of NC.

The resort has two buildings. There is a 5-story tower parallel to the beach. The rooms in this building each have a door that open to an exterior hallway on the street side of the building, and the rooms go all the way through the building to a window/balcony that faces the ocean. (This layout wasn’t entirely clear from the description on the website.) Adjacent to the tower is a building that houses the restaurant (which has an outdoor deck and has windows facing the ocean) as well as the office. There is a separate 2-story building angled perpendicular to the beach, and these rooms do not have a direct view of the beach. We stayed on the 5th floor with an ocean view.

Pluses: The ocean side of the tower is right on the beach. Our room was quiet. We heard a little noise from the elevator (which was adjacent to our room), but it wasn't bothersome. The balcony window/door was well insulated. Since this resort does not allow pets in any rooms, we didn’t have to worry about allergies. Our room, which had a king bed, was clean, smelled fresh, and was spacious with plenty of lateral room so that two people could pass between the foot of the bed and the chest of drawers. The balcony had two comfortable chairs and a small table, all of which were in good condition. The balcony door was vinyl coated and appeared to be a recent upgrade. There was a couch with a fold-out bed, and it appeared to be new. The room had a half-height refrigerator, coffee maker, and small sink, all of which we used. It also had a small microwave that we did not use, along with a cabinet under the sink large enough to store some supplies. The shower and bathroom fixtures all appeared to be recently replaced. Outside the bathroom was a small but intelligently laid-out dressing area with a place to hang clothes and a suitcase stand. This provided some privacy since it was hidden from the rest of the room and separated the bathroom door from the exterior door. The restaurant downstairs had an adequate but not extensive menu. The service was good, the food was excellent (we ate dinner once and breakfast twice), and guests receive a discount off the price (which was already reasonable). It was very nice to be able to know that there was a nice place to eat that didn’t require a drive or a walk. The parking lot was well lit, and the area around the hotel seemed very safe. Finally, the reservation, check-in, and check-out processes were all very smooth.

Minuses: The elevator on our side of the tower and the areas around this elevator were a little dingy. However, to be fair, this area is somewhat open to the elements. There was wireless service, but it was quite weak in our room. I lost my connection several times. The signal was full strength, though, in the restaurant and hotel lobby.

Other: We didn’t use the TV, so we cannot comment on that. There is an indoor pool with depths from 3 to 8 feet. It looked clean and well-maintained, and it appeared to have changing rooms, but we didn’t visit it.

We would recommend this resort to our friends/family.

3 Thank Lewis K
Thanks for your review of your recent stay! I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay! i also wanted to assure you that we are addressing the concerns that you mentioned as well. We look forward to having you back at the Sea Ranch Resort.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Me and the wife decided on a whim to take a few vacation days. No reservations, just show up somewhere and roll the dice. I figured if we arrived a week or 2 after Labor Day there would be no problems finding an oceanfront room. Wrong. We looked for almost 2 hours and everything was either booked up or way, way out of my hundred bucks a night price range. There were some places across the street from the beach wanting 150 a night. Ridiculous I thought.

We had spent our honeymoon (20 something years ago) at the Sea Ranch and decided to give it a try but I figured the price would be too high. They had no oceanfront rooms for my first night but since I would be staying for 3 nights they said they could give me a street side room for the first night and would try to work me into an oceanfront room for the following 2 nights at a very good rate. They were extremely sympathetic to my situation and gave me a great rate that included free breakfasts (that were awesome) all 3 days.

The street side room was very nice, clean, and reasonably priced but the oceanfront room they put me in was just superb. I really cannot think about anything bad to say about either room other than the oceanfront room was, naturally, head and shoulders better than the street side room but only in terms of location.

The staff at the Sea Ranch were the absolute best I have ever experienced. From the housekeepers to the general manager, the restaurant staff, and even the maintenance people were all first class. They were all smiling and always had a friendly word. Nothing I asked for caused a problem with anyone and, in fact, they all delivered way beyond my expectations. Get this...... they were ALL happy (or putting up a great front)! I teased the manager when I left that she was putting something in the water there that made all of the workers seem more like old friends than employees. Honestly, they were all that good. Beau and Mary Anne at the front desk were 2 of the nicest, most helpful people I could have run across and really turned my vacation into a great one.

So what if the staff couldn't stop the rain on the last day I was there? I had a great room with a great view, a great restaurant a few steps away, and great people to surround myself with. All of that at reasonable prices. You couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: 5th floor oceanfront if you can. Great view of sunrise.
3 Thank Metalcrafter_cnc
Thank you for your review of the Sea Ranch Resort. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed everything, from the staff to the rooms & amenities! We hope you'll be staying with us during your next Outer Banks getaway!
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went to Sea Ranch Resort for our anniversary. We enjoyed it tremendously. The staff was patient and helpful. Our room was quite nice. The restaurant was convenient. The view of the ocean was fantastic. It was our first time to the Outer Banks, and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam_in_Moscow
I am glad that we could be a part of making not only your first trip to the Outer Banks memorable, but your anniversary too!

Thank you far taking the time to review your stay with Trip Advisor, and we hope that you will stay with us again soon!
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We just checked out of the two bedroom "condo" that we rented at the Sea Ranch. The location is fabulous. I will give it that. Plus it is directly on the beach. But the hotel was really really dirty. The carpet had not been vacuumed. We found food that had dried into it and we had not even eaten there yet. The couched smelled like urine. And there was a serious ant infestation. Also the stairwells smelled like vomit. I am going to need a few hot showers before I feel clean again. I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank mvk2010
I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel, most specifically with the quality of you room. This is not our typical level of service and/or quality of stay we want any guests to experience! each of the mentioned issues will be addressed immediately.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. Feel free to reach me at info@searanchresort.com or 800.334.4737. It would be my pleasure to see that your next stay is more to your expectations.
Collingswood
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a great time at the Sea Ranch Resort and we recommend it highly.

Since most reviews require a lot of reading between the lines, I’ll try to keep this simple:

Background

Budget focused, we found Sea Ranch through an online aggregator; the room was significantly less expensive than others in the area and the hotel is on the beach and centrally located. While our initial concern was cost, we simply wanted an affordable place to enjoy our 4 day vacation in mid September.

Hotel Location

Although we were somewhat familiar with the area, we found that Sea Ranch was only steps away from the sand and reasonable walking distance (1/2 mile) of a food market, movie theater, restaurants, bars, fishing pier as well as other attractions. It’s also a good jumping off spot for day trips.

Hotel Amenities

Overall, the amenities at the Sea Ranch were adequate for what we needed. Beach access and the indoor pool were both really nice to have. And the seaside restaurant was an especially pleasant surprise. Great for early morning coffee, a meal or even drinks, it’s a good fallback if you don’t want to venture out into the surrounding area. Furthermore, the food was tasty and not overly expensive.

Our Room

Keeping in mind that our primary focus was on budget, our room was fine. It was spacious, clean and equipped with all the basics (small refrigerator, microwave oven, TV). We received an ocean side room (versus an ocean front room – which faces the ocean) and it’s what we expected. While we found that it was somewhat musty, turning off the AC and opening the windows made a world of difference. Overall, we got what we paid for and more.

Past Reviews

In researching Sea Ranch we found that some customer reviews were less than glowing, but after our experience we feel that we have an understanding of why. First, all the negative reviews for the ocean side rooms appear to have been submitted in 2012; the management stated that the rooms were to be renovated during the Winter & Spring of 2013. As I noted before, our room was perfectly acceptable. Second, some reviews stated that the in-hotel restaurant was substandard, but we found the food delicious and the staff friendly. Finally it’s tough to please everyone, but the manager responded to each issue which says a lot.

Overall Experience

We had a good experience at the Sea Ranch Resort. Not only is it well located, but the staff was friendly, the rooms were clean and amenities were spot on (for us). If you’re looking for an affordable getaway on the Outer Banks, the Sea Ranch Resort is certainly worth a look.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms with a balcony are a great option for those with the budget.
3 Thank Bill R
We are glad to hear you had such and enjoyable stay at the Sea Ranch Resort! Not only is it a great place to relax but there are tons of options when your up for being apart of the local area attractions. Thank you for taking time to review, we look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Sea Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!