“Outstanding Value”
Review of Sea Ranch Resort

Sea Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed October 9, 2012

After living in North Carolina for 20 years, we finally decided to take a long weekend on the Outer Banks. I've been there on a couple of day trips for work, but never with the family.

With over 5 years of previous experience in hotel management, I tend to be very particular about where I stay. I was reluctant to pick an independent property like Sea Ranch Resort because unlike a branded franchise I don't have any recourse beyond the General Manager if I have a complaint. However, after scouring the reviews here for hotels in our price range, the Sea Ranch Resort became the obvious pick.

I got the best pricing by dealing directly with the property. They had a 72-hour cancellation policy, but even if I cancelled before then they held back 10% of my one-night's deposit. I'm not sure if this restriction was due to the special promo that we got in on or if that was standard policy. I knew the only reason we would cancel would be a family emergency or hurricane and I'm sure the penalty would be waived for the latter.

I booked an Oceanfront room and was very pleased to find that I got exactly that. In fact, when we walked into the room, the drapes were drawn back and there was the beautiful Atlantic Ocean right before our eyes. Our room type had an open air balcony that you could walk out on. There were even a couple of patio chairs to soak in the sights and sounds. In the room there was a small wet bar with sink as well as the typical hotel microwave and refrigerator. There was also a flat-panel TV and WiFi. Unfortunately, we had issues with the WiFi dropping signal on all of our devices, but we lived with it. The A/C unit is located by the wet bar area like a small apartment. It worked well, but could have been quieter. Overall, the room was very clean and well-maintained.

Beach access is from the second floor, where there is a walkway that goes right over the sand dune and then you walk down the steps to the beach. A hose is provided at the top of the stairs so you can wash off your feet before heading back to your room. The oceanfront building is detached from the lobby, restaurant and meeting space. There was a wedding reception the second night of our stay and we never heard the music from our room. The hotel's restaurant had good reviews but we preferred to explore the area and try some local eateries.

The heated indoor pool is in a separate enclosure situated adjacent to the lobby and guest building. Like the rest of the hotel, it was clean and well-maintained. I was surprised though that the hotel did not have a lock on the door to prevent children from gaining access.

I can highly recommend the Sea Ranch Resort and it will be our first choice for lodging when we return.

Room Tip: The hotel also has condominium style rooms with full kitchen. While also oceanfront, I noticed that...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you had such a great trip to the Outer Banks and felt your accommodations were a good value!

We wanted to make sure and let you know that we have addressed the issue with the pool lock and guest now gain access to the pool from the front desk.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again!

There are newer reviews for Sea Ranch Resort

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Here is the summary of our experience: the best ocean view in Outer Banks, Wonderful beach access, friendly staff, and yummy food. Overall, it is a great value! The new renovation is great, and the suite is very clean with many amenities. We really feel home there and will definitely come again and again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased to hear about your stay and thank you for sharing! Keep your eye out for GREAT off season rates and if there is anything that we can do to help you plan your next getaway, don't hesitate to contact us!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We made reservations a month ahead of time and they put us in room 105. It had a dehumidifier in the middle of the room running at full blast blowing out hot air while battling a noisy AC unit for dominance in the room. It was damp, musty and smelly.
We went to the front desk and the woman said that she knew we wouldn't like it but what can you do.
She offered us a re-habed room for and extra $162. I declined and said that they needed to do better. She said that her manager was driving someone home but would be back in 10mins to help us.
When the manager showed up she said it wasnt their fault because its damp near the ocean. NO KIDDING. Although they still had 12 "better" rooms available she still wanted $162. I used their free wifi and booked another hotel from their lobby. It took another 20mins to get my money back. Stay away.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank artie69
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

In response to your recent review, we are sorry that the guest room at the Sea Ranch was not up to your standard, and that we were unable to remedy the situation to your satisfaction. As you can see from the majority of our reviews, this is not a typical guest experience. As we value your patronage we would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your recent visit.
Please feel free to contact us at info@searanchresort.com if you would like to discuss your experience in further detail.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We decided to go south from NJ to catch the last rays of summer in the warm waters off N.C and found the Sea Ranch fall special. What a wonderful 4 days! The weather was spectacular, the ocean beautiful and our accommodations quite nice. I have severe allergies to dust and animal hair, but the room was clean with neither allergen present. We were in an ocean-side room on the third floor, with a wonderful ocean sound right outside the door all night.

We liked the food as well at their newly renovated bistro. Prices were good and quality of the food as good as any of the other restaurants at which we ate (and better than some). The staff were friendly and very helpful in both the bistro and the hotel.

We would definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Glad to hear you were able to take advantage of this great October weather at the beach! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and dining in our oceanfront restaurant! Until next time...

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Random choice while looking around online - wanted something different than a chain. This is a delightful hotel. The service and the staff is warm and genuine. These people actually seem to enjoy their jobs in customer service! Room was very clean & I'm very picky! Bistro's food was very good & reasonably priced. Splurged on oceanview and it was worth it, but was reasonable to begin with.
Can't wait to return & keeping my fingers crossed I can book the same room again! Never felt so at home so fast in a hotel. Two things guys - coffee pods gotta go, how about just a little 4 cup brew machine and please, please, please warm that pool water up a little!
I could live in that lovely room for the rest of my life! Thank you all for your hospitality!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Patricia V

Thanks for your review! I am proud to hear that your stay was so enjoyable. We are proud to have such great staff and will be sure to pass your comments onto them! Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist you in planning your return visit!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband & I just returned from our 7th trip in a row to the wonderful Sea Ranch. The hotel has been renovated & is beautiful inside and out. We have had the same ocean front room for the last 7 years -- the best part of the hotel is the staff. Everyone from the front desk to the maids and maintenance people are extremely professional. It is like going to a second home & everyone who works their treats you with dignity and respect - they are like family to us. I highly recommend the Sea Ranch. It is undoubtedly the Best Place to stay anywhere on the Outer Banks - as well as very reasonable rates and convenience to shopping, eating, etc . We will be back and I can't wait! Thank you very much for your hospitality, Sea Ranch!
Michele & JW

4  Thank Puffin721

Thanks so much for the recommendation and compliments to the staff! I will certainly be sure to pass your kind words along to them! We are so happy that we have been such a great part of your Outer Banks vacation experience! See you next time!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent 2 nights in an ocean front room, 4th floor, and were very pleased with the room. The room seemed newly renovated and was very clean. Bed and especially the pillows were very comfortable. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is very close to the water so when you are on the balcony you can really enjoy the view and ocean sounds. We will definitely stay again the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra money and request the ocean front rooms if you enjoy the ocean.
2  Thank duffey3700

All of our oceanfront guestrooms were renovated this year! I am pleased to hear that you found the rooms comfortable and the views unforgettable! Thanks for taking the time to post your review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Sea Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!