After living in North Carolina for 20 years, we finally decided to take a long weekend on the Outer Banks. I've been there on a couple of day trips for work, but never with the family.
With over 5 years of previous experience in hotel management, I tend to be very particular about where I stay. I was reluctant to pick an independent property like Sea Ranch Resort because unlike a branded franchise I don't have any recourse beyond the General Manager if I have a complaint. However, after scouring the reviews here for hotels in our price range, the Sea Ranch Resort became the obvious pick.
I got the best pricing by dealing directly with the property. They had a 72-hour cancellation policy, but even if I cancelled before then they held back 10% of my one-night's deposit. I'm not sure if this restriction was due to the special promo that we got in on or if that was standard policy. I knew the only reason we would cancel would be a family emergency or hurricane and I'm sure the penalty would be waived for the latter.
I booked an Oceanfront room and was very pleased to find that I got exactly that. In fact, when we walked into the room, the drapes were drawn back and there was the beautiful Atlantic Ocean right before our eyes. Our room type had an open air balcony that you could walk out on. There were even a couple of patio chairs to soak in the sights and sounds. In the room there was a small wet bar with sink as well as the typical hotel microwave and refrigerator. There was also a flat-panel TV and WiFi. Unfortunately, we had issues with the WiFi dropping signal on all of our devices, but we lived with it. The A/C unit is located by the wet bar area like a small apartment. It worked well, but could have been quieter. Overall, the room was very clean and well-maintained.
Beach access is from the second floor, where there is a walkway that goes right over the sand dune and then you walk down the steps to the beach. A hose is provided at the top of the stairs so you can wash off your feet before heading back to your room. The oceanfront building is detached from the lobby, restaurant and meeting space. There was a wedding reception the second night of our stay and we never heard the music from our room. The hotel's restaurant had good reviews but we preferred to explore the area and try some local eateries.
The heated indoor pool is in a separate enclosure situated adjacent to the lobby and guest building. Like the rest of the hotel, it was clean and well-maintained. I was surprised though that the hotel did not have a lock on the door to prevent children from gaining access.
I can highly recommend the Sea Ranch Resort and it will be our first choice for lodging when we return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the room accommodations that reflect a coastal color palette and modern room finishes that will create a relaxing and comfortable space for your stay. Convenient on-site amenities include an enclosed heated pool (seasonal),fitness center, outside picnic area and grill. The Sea Ranch also welcomes you to our oceanfront restaurant, the Beachside Bistro, which offers a delightful menu with a focus on American Coastal Cuisine. Join us in the dining room or on our deck where you can soak in the beautiful ocean view! Beachfront Resort: All rooms on the oceanfront and main building include: microwaves, refrigerators, Cable TV and Internet. Oceanfront Suites: 2 BR / 2 Bath fully equipped, condo style suites. Each suite offers a fully equipped kitchen, washer & dryer and living room with a sleeper sofa! Minimum of a 2 night stay required in season. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Sea Ranch Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea Ranch Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Sea Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Sea Ranch Resort Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills