“"Mind-blowing" bbq/ great service!”
Review of Pigman's Bar-B-Que

Pigman's Bar-B-Que
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Pigman's Bar-B-Que is the premiere barbeque restaurant on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. For over 16 years, we have been serving up 'Que to tourists and locals alike. We have won multiple awards including "Best of the Beach" in the BBQ category in 2012 and BBQ Showdown OBX "Best Ribs" in 2013! We offer many varieties of BBQ with signature sauces to go along with it! We have all the fixings you can imagine and we also do catering.At Pigman’s Bar-B-Que, we take all the necessary steps to make our BBQ unique as well. For example, all of our signature BBQ’s are cooked on site by smoking. We cook this way for two reasons: To cook the meat slowly to retain the natural juices, and infuse it with oak flavor. Then we add our signature sauces, thus creating BBQ. Every BBQ option we sell is hand-crafted, and has some sort of vinegar-based sauce added to them. Although our vinegar-based BBQ options are delicious, we have discovered that there are many different palates out there to please. As a result, a few of our BBQ options have ketchup and an additional blend of proprietary spices to give our customers a “tomato based” option, also known as “ketchup based”.
Charlottesville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Mind-blowing" bbq/ great service!”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After a long drive from central Virginia, my husband and I couldn't wait to stop by and finally try the award-winning bbq from Pigman's! First off, I'd like point out the moment we walked into the establishment, we were greeted by nothing but smiling, well-attentive employees; and after the billion questions my husband and I asked about their product, you'd assume some irritation would occur from their end, but no. It almost seemed as though it made them more apt to serve us well. After placing our order we found a seat and waited for our lucky number to be called, and without delay our food arrived at our table steaming and fresh. The pulled pork and ribs were smoked to perfection, and the sauces couldn't have complimented them any better. Never again will we wonder what our first stop in the OBX will be! Thank you, Pigman's, for your kind employees and your mind-blowing bbq! See you the summer of 2013!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Lydia G

Miami, Florida
“Stay Away”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Service was awful. We asked if we could substitute fries for hush puppies. Response was a very nasty "No". We asked if they would cut the half chicken into quarters and the response was also a very nasty "No". The food was no better. My chicken was cooked Rare with blood flowing between the leg and thigh, so I requested them to replace with a properly cooked meal. The replacement was a charred, burned, overcooked piece of chicken. The ribs were overcooked, fatty and mealy tasting. The sauces were not good watery and not complimentary to a good piece of meat. The cole slaw though was good. If you are reading this before going, you are fortunate. Don't go

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank CliffKol
Smithfield, VA
“Great Ribs”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The wine queen and I stopped by for her first time in mid December for dinner. Although Pigman's usually has a limited selection of wines during the in-season, since they are closing for the winter ... in just a couple of weeks or less ... they had only beer this night.

We both chose the barbecued ribs tonight. I'd not had the ribs before and was apprehensive. I became more apprehensive when we went over to the silverware and condiments area while waiting for our meals to be brought to our tables (you order at the counter). The knives, forks and spoons are plastic. If the ribs are not falling off the bone, it will not be a fun experience.

The ribs, cole slaw and bbq beans arrived very quickly. There was also a side of quite tasty hushpuppies with a bit of honey flavored butter on the side.

I am not a cole slaw fan, and Pigman's slaw is by no means the best I've had. If I had been on my game, I'd probably have asked for a double helping of the beans which are quite tasty.

The ribs indeed fall off the bone. They are absolutely properly cooked, and we will return for more.

I wanted more sauce on them, so I poured on some of the table-side Pigman's Regular Sauce. It is very vinagary, and not suitable for most people who like ribs. We later learned that they have a container of rib sauce on the counter at the take-out area.

Pigman's is rated #1 for BBQ at the OBX. One might argue that there is not much competion (one exception is Jolly Roger) but the rating is earned insofar is the ribs are concerned. While we dined, we enjoyed viewing the various items and pictured displayed on the walls. They also sell T-shirts, etc. Otherwise, it's an average place, but the food I've had is very good.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Big-Deeee
Cascade, Maryland
“best tuna que in town”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Never thought BBQ tuna could be so moist and tasty without being overwhelmed by the bbq and/or sauce -- be sure to try the sweet potato fries for a tasty dessert!

Visited December 2012
Ponce Inlet, Florida
“Skip this one.”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

First of all, as I used to advise my readers, why eat steak or BBQ in a seafood town? The food at Pigmans was OK at best. While our ribs and pulled pork were OK, the beans, coleslaw and hush puppies were mediocre.