“One of, if not the finest Outer Banks restaurants”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Our tradition is to do one of our couple of "special" dinners on the Friday before we leave. It usually ends up being the Colington Cafe unless we had already done it earlier in our two week stay. We made it down to the CC in about 35 minutes from Sanderling via the Big Road. Going south you turn right at the traffic signal at Colington Road after you pass the tribute to the Wright Boys place, around MP 8.5. Drive west on Colington Road for about 3 minutes and you will see it on your left......a pretty white house on a hill under some very large live oaks. Great setting. We arrived about five minutes early for our 6:30 reservation and our table was ready. In addition, our request for our favorite room was honored. We prefer the more quiet and small room to the right. The front room to the left is nice as well. We do not and will not be seated upstairs as there is almost always a large group being loud. Anyway we not only got our room but also the best table at the front corner. The decor is understated and simple but is wonderful. Paintings, flowers, baskets, bottles on the walls and ledges. The tables had a small vase holding a red rose and eucalyptus. I forgot my reading glasses in the car so I got up and started for the door....as I passed the host/owner he said, "going out for reading glasses". I said yes and he responded by saying he had numerous pairs that I could use to save a trip outside. Interesting....took him up on his offer and tried on a couple of pairs to get the right power...I settled on some 2.0 power Clark Kent style glasses. Within a few minutes our waiter took our drink orders and soon thereafter a basket with 3 rolls and butter. Our drinks arrived and we ordered. My wife ordered the appetizer special, Salmon Napoleon and the Carolina Cakecakes. I being a creature of habit here, ordered the She Crab Bisque and the Filet Mignon (the 8 oz. one). OK here is the skinny: The Salmon Napoleon was layered with salmon, wasabi slaw, and fried wontons.......excellent! My she crab bisque still remains my very favorite she crab on the Outer Banks.....alot of crab and not overkilled with sherry. When my entree came our waiter announced that I did not need anything but the butter knife to cut the filet. Well it was cooked to a perfect medium. It actually could have been cut with a fork. The Bearnaise sauce on it was heavenly. My wife's carolina crab cakes were excellent.....hard to choose between the Kill Devil Grill and here. My wife though the KDG grilled their crab cakes while the CC fried theirs. Both of our entrees were served with wonderful smashed garlic potatoes and chilled green beans. We have been to the Colington Cafe every year since it opened in 1989 except maybe one and we have never had a less than a great dining experience. The CC has to be one of, it not the most consistently excellent restaurant on the Outer Banks. Recommended with reservation for your special dinner, or for that matter any dinner. Great food, reasonable prices, classy and probably the most professional wait staff around.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We ate here twice last year on our OBX vacation and again twice this year. I really enjoy this place.

This year went first with my husband, brother and his wife. I got the crab bisque soup. Very good. Had the same meal as last year: scallop and shrimp napoleon $21. It comes with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. My husband had yellowfin tuna special. He said it was delicious. My brother had a trio of fillet, shrimp, and crab. He loved it. His wife had steak and added crabcake - she ordered her steak well and it was more on the med. rare to medium side. The waiter took it back and returned more well done. The waiter, Billy, was very nice. Good waiter.

Second visit went with my son and his two friends. I again had the crab soup and scallop and shrimp. This time the shrimp were larger than a few nights before. Excellent. The waitress allowed the boys to get the kids steak n fries - they are teens but that's what they wanted and had last year. Glad she allowed that. They also had the crab dip and scarfed it right up. One kid got cheesecake and my son had crème brulee. Total for our dinner was $92.

This is by far my favorite restaurant in the area. Highly recommend.

If the owners read this: the only change I would make is get rid of canned sodas and offer fountain sodas. If you can't get a soda line then maybe do something like bottled sodas (Mexican Coke or some kind of neat glass bottle soda).

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We went to this restaurant to celebrate our anniversary while in Outer Banks. This place had mixed reviews but considering that it had a lot of good ones we decided to give it a try. We called few hours before showing up and they got a table for us. We showed up 30 mins earlier and were seated before our reservation time. Our waitress (Angela) was awesome. She described the dishes and everything was served in time. We even ended up with e little bottle of champagne to bring home with us and continue celebration. The food was really good and we do have few places we love to go in DC with great food and this place almost compares to them. As for the price I wouldn't say it's expensive or maybe that's just in comparing with DC expensive restaurants but if we are comparing the food surely would compare the price. The place is nice and cute with rooms with tables and gives you a nice feeling. Of course it would be great if they had the bar area but I'm not gonna take a star away because of that.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We live here on the Outer Banks, so we get plenty pf good food of all types, but for my birthday, we went to Colington Cafe, one of our local favorites. It did not disappoint.

First...they take reservations, which is a big plus here in tourist season!

Second, It is a quaint facility converted from a Victorian style house.

Third, the staff is great from the moment you enter until the moment you leave. Everyone is fantastic!

And perhaps most important, the FOOD IS GREAT. It's unique, yet familiar, and prepared just as you would want. I can't say enough, from appetizers to dessert (which we split) it was all unique, special and terrific.

One note: only beer and wine; no liquor, but you won't care!

Go to the Colington Cafe and do yourself a favor!

1  Thank haroldg48
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Best meal and best service, quality ingredients prepared well. Took great care of the kids and adults as well. A bit off the beaten path but so worth the effort. You should know that they do not serve any form of hard liquor. They do have a quality wine and beer menu. Desserts are excellent. I would go there again - though, if I could, just as a couple as it can be a most romantic spot. It was nice to see they way the rooms and customers were separated just in case kids got unruly. Oh, and they are one of the VERY FEW places that take reservations.