“Food Kills in Kill Devil Hills”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Colington Cafe was hopping the night we dined. Even with reservations we had to wait. When we were seated we were introduced to Shannon a local teacher who was gracious and very engaging. She helped us order and was present and helpful throughout our meal. The food was excellent. Steaks were cooked to perfection and the scallops and shrimp Napoleon was delicate and a nice change of pace from the normal beach fare. Desserts were all homemade!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary last night, as we did last year, here at the Colington Cafe. We came upon this gem after the place we originally married at, Penguin Isle, became Pamlico Jack's, and we felt the ambiance just wouldn't be the same at a "walk the plank" pirate-style restaurant. Thus, we sought out something a bit more romantic and landed upon this absolutely perfect spot. This year, I called ahead to see if they could do a strawberry shortcake dessert, which they promised to relay to the chef but couldn't promise. We had one as our wedding cake, so it seemed a perfect choice. We arrived for dinner and were seated in a charming room overlooking the backyard and its lush assortment of beautiful shade-type plants. The appetizer special of the evening was smoked shrimp over greens with feta, cherry tomatoes, and topped with an olive tapenade. It sounded so amazing, I asked if it could be made as an entree portion. Without hesitation, our extremely professional and lovely server, Lydia, headed to the kitchen to inquire. She quickly returned to apprise me that it would be absolutely no problem at all. My husband opted for the seafood pasta, which looked and tasted amazing. Without our mention, Lydia acknowledged that Jeff, the Chef, had prepared a special strawberry shortcake dessert for us (not on the standard dessert tray) and it was sensational. It looked like it should have appeared in a gourmet restaurant magazine. It was beyond delicious. Lydia even brought us out a little gift bottle of champagne to toast with. They could not have made our occasion more special! Outstanding food and service. Above and beyond the call of duty to make our visit memorable. It's simply wonderful to have this gem for special occasions, when we make our annual anniversary trip south. Thanks, Colington Cafe, for a lovely memory!

1  Thank BostonBon
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Meals for our party of 8 were delicious it be sure to save room for dessert. My fathers fried shrimp were some of the best he has had. I loved my chicken fish and steaks were perfect

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Without finding this restaurant through reviews on TripAdvisor, we would have completely missed this gem of a restaurant. We arrived without a reservation at about 8 p.m. and we managed to get a table after a short wait. The service throughout the evening was very attentive without the often rushed feel in many american restaurants. The menu is extensive and the food cooked to perfection. We would certainly visit again.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I came here for an anniversary dinner. This was our first time in the OBX and we are relying on TripAdvisor to steer us right. This one did not disappoint. Holly, our server, was excellent and engaging without pretense. My wife had the Le Grand Trio and I had the Mixed Grill. The filet mignon, tuna, shrimp, and crab were all excellent without beign overcooked or "over-sauced". The wood-grilled vegetables put the meal to the top of our list. The quaint house feel was a nice change of pace from the typical beach restaurant. I understand now why so many reviews were written by return customers

1  Thank Ichthusiast1