“Awesome although a bit pricey”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The food at the Colington Café is really good. They also have quite the menu. I ordered the beef brochette and fried shrimp. My beef was so tender that I was able to cut it with a butter knife. The fried shrimp was lightly battered and very yummy. Chilled string beans and mashed potatoes accompanied the beef and shrimp. Additionally, I ordered a toll house cookie pie for desserts, which was probably one of the best desserts I have ever tasted! Our server, Billy, was very attentive but not bothersome. We arrived before they opened at 5:00 p.m. We did not have reservations but were seated immediately when they opened. If you arrive later, you may need reservations since it's not a big place. This Café is located in a house, which adds to the ambiance of the eating experience. Thankfully, someone told us about this restaurant because it is not listed in the OBX food guide and is located away from the beach past the Wright Brothers Museum. Two entrees (my friend ordered the same dish), two desserts and one iced tea totaled about $75.00 + gratuity. Expensive for me but worth the price for an occasional splurge.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

hands down the best restuarant we went to during our 4 days in OBX. thanks to my peeps at Trip Advisor for steering us in the right direction. top quality all around- ambiance, service, food. couldn't be beat. you will not be disappointed! it's a little out of the way - round the backside of the wright memorial and the parking can be a little sketchy but fear not - worth the trip.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This is an out-of-way cafe favored by the Locals. It is a two story house that has multiple dining areas for an intimate twosome or groups of 10+. The food is first class, mixture of surf and turf, prepared as one desires. There are the availability of two sizes of servings, whether you are not too hungry or starving. The desserts are to die for.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

The food at Colington Cafe is excellent! Best at the OBX, hands down. Make reservations and if you have kids who only eat burgers and Mac and cheese, wait until their tastes expand to take them there. Beer/wine no liquor. It is the favorite of our 13 person group!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I are in our late 20s and rarely go out to eat. When we do, we like to go to nice places with great food. We made a reservation that day, and arrived 10 minutes early knowing that we would still have to wait. When we got there, literally everyone was 50 years of age and up. When we got to the host, they had a very condescending response "Well, you're early and its great to be early, but you will have to wait." We then ordered some wine while we waited, which we never got and they completely forgot about. We also waited 30 minutes past our reservation, so we suspect that we were completely forgotten. They apologized and explained that they were understaffed. When we were seated, our server had no idea about the forgotten wine as it was never communicated to her so we re-ordered it. The decor is very out-dated, and not in a "adds character" way, and we were all piled on top of each other with limited personal space and large sheets of paper on the table--not what I would expect for the price. Our server was good, but I noticed that she spent time getting to know other tables while she was fairly short with us. My suspicions were that we were younger and she expected not to get much out of us even though we ordered wine, and appetizer, two entrees, and dessert. There was also no effort made to correct the fact that we were forgotten in the beginning. The food was amazing, but I would not pay this much to put up with this service again. Overall, I think that if you are 40+, this place is great for you, but if you are younger, don't expect to be taken seriously and don't waster your time. Very disappointed and I strongly feel like we were a victim of age discrimination by the staff we came in contact with.

1  Thank chicnhed