“Excellent food and atmosphere”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stumbled on to this restaurant on the way to the fish store and we are glad that we did. It is a cute transformed house into a great restaurant. It was joy to be there. The food was tremendous. Frankly, the only reason that I didn't give them 5 stars is because the beer list is lacking. Additionally, I make a rule to not order steak in non-steak focused restaurants, but the dishes looked so good here, that I broke that and I was glad that I did. It was cooked perfectly. As I understand it a lot of the locals eat here. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Two weeks ago I made a dinner reservation at the Collington Cafe for our last night at the beach. I made the reservation for two 30 hours in advance and at that time I was not told of any seating problem. Fifteen minutes after we arrived at the restaurant we were shown to a table on the second floor in a very small room where there was a wedding party of 24 people. Our table was the only one in the 30x12 foot room that was not for the wedding party. We were not happy to be seated there, but did not complain because we (mistakenly) thought the folks already seated were almost ready to leave; we also did not realize initially that the two tables of twelve all belonged to the same party and that they would be shouting at each other across the room. Needless to say, our service was very bad. Basically a single waiter was serving the wedding party, us, and another small room on the second floor. When the waiter finally checked on our status, after we had almost finished our meals, I complained to him about the fact that we had been seated in this private dining room. I told him honestly that we did not blame him at all for the poor service but the manager for having seated us in a room where we literally could not exchange ten words in conversation because of the noise and where the room lacked sufficient staff. He apologized profusely. When he returned 15 minutes later to ask if we wanted dessert, I asked him to bring the check because we really just wanted to escape the situation as quickly as possible. He later returned with the check and a bag with two pieces of coconut cake as a peace offering, after having consulted the manager, Peggy. Since my husband was still hungry, due to the small dinner portions we had received, he took the bag of cake. When we went downstairs, I sought out Peggy to complain and to ask why she had put us in a tiny room with a large wedding party. She answered indignantly that this was the only table available and that she couldn't be held accountable for the noise! Apparently her judgment is so poor that it did not occur to her that folks might actually want to converse and linger over dinner together on their vacation. We happily would have waited an additional 5 or 10 minutes for a decent table - or happily gone to a different restaurant if we had been told that they had overbooked. We will never return to the Collington Cafe on future vacations. There are so many excellent Outer Banks restaurants to choose from, where the food is frankly much better, that I would much rather patronize an establishment that values customer service over the almighty dollar.

4  Thank Maureen21206
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Someone suggested we eat a dinner at COlinton Cafe, Kill Devil Hills, NC. In an oldVictorian home,surrounded by large oak trees, the restaurant(not really a cafe) was very attractive and the meals were very good. I also thought the prices were reasonable for a resort area. I'd recommend anyone trying the restaurant.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Outher Banks of North Carolina has long lured people who have an interest in finding buried treasure. Allow me to offer that the Colington Cafe is exactly that! It is truly a treasure - tucked away one mile inland off the main road running through the Outer Banks. My wife and I dined there on Sunday evening, June 2, 2013. The appearance of the restaurant, once we found it, is that of a cozy home and the interior is more of the same. The food was absolutely wonderful. We both started with the she crap soup and there is none like it anywhere else! It was the best we've ever tasted and moderately priced too! I had the filet and salmon while my wife had the filet and shrimp. Both were excellent meals! The homemade veggies were superb but the desserts were out of this world! The wine list is attractive and features many moderately priced wines that carry much higher prices on the menus of other nearby restaurants. This was an accidental find for us and we couldn't have been happier if we had discovered buried treasure! Our waitress was Holly and she lived up to her name. Fun lonving and a pleasant server who delighted in telling us of the history of the restaurant and properly advising us of menu selections based on our individual preferences. We will be back and, while the other servers seemed equally friendly and professional, we'll ask for Holly!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The setting is charming and the food fantastic. When I made the reservation I asked for a highchair for our friends 2 year old. Having rarely dined with children i asked if it was an appropriate place. They assured me it would be fine. When we got there, our table was in a quiet corner, overlooking the gardens. The staff was wonderful. Not exactly a kids place but they sure did everything possible to make two couples with a toddler in tow have a romantic evening! The father of the toddler said it was his best meal ever!